IPhone vs Droid

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Most iPhone apps do have "back" buttons, just built into the app and not the OS.

Also, you don't have to use iTunes to transfer pics. Maybe in the past you did.

EDIT: Clarification: You don't need iTunes to transfer pics from the phone to the PC. Plugging in via USB gives you access just like on Android. For transferring pictures TO the iPhone from a PC, yes you need to use iTunes or some other app (ie, DropBox, which is what I use.) Can also sync wirelessly with iTunes now, over Wi-Fi.

Last edited:

mamawm

Reaction score
Most iPhone apps do have "back" buttons, just built into the app and not the OS.

Also, you don't have to use iTunes to transfer pics. Maybe in the past you did.
Well there have been several upgrades to the OS since I had my iPhone, but on my kids IPads I still have to hit the home button to get out of an app and then I have to reselect the app I was previously in.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
The fact that you are saying "most" and not "all" is evidence that a hardware back button is needed.

Last edited:

ConqSoft

Reaction score
The fact that you are saying "most" and not "all" is evidence that a hardware back button is needed.

That's an opinion. All apps I've used (and there have been a lot of them) have navigation buttons built in when needed. Never had an issue with it.

The main things that I miss when using my iPhone over my Nexus is the screen size, the tight Google integration, and the 4g speed. Screen size and 4g should be rectified with the iPhone 5 though.

Nothing else really stands out for me that Android does "better". I don't root or ROM or any of that stuff. I like things that work well and are stable "out of the box"; another reason why I like a phone with vanilla Android, without manufacturers putting their own spin on it.

Also, all the mainstream apps I use are much more stable and refined on iOS vs Android, but that should improve as more time passes.

I couldn't completely make the switch because Android, and the Nexus particularly, still has that "cool" factor. Can't quite put my finger on it. So I have both.

Last edited:

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Well there have been several upgrades to the OS since I had my iPhone, but on my kids IPads I still have to hit the home button to get out of an app and then I have to reselect the app I was previously in.

What app in particular? Never had an issue navigating any of the apps I use, using the built in buttons.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
All apps I've used (and there have been a lot of them) have navigation buttons in the apps when needed. Never had an issue with it.
That has not been my experience. Using iPhone apps has been like maneuvering in a closet. Navigation is far more involved than it needs to be. I still have to use iOS devices sometimes to help friends and family use their iPhones and iTouches (so much for iOS being intuitive LOL).

The main things that I miss when using my iPhone over my Nexus is the screen size, the tight Google integration, and the 4g speed. Screen size and 4g should be rectified with the iPhone 5 though. Nothing else really stands out for me that Android does "better".
One thing I really don't like is not having easy access to the file system. Getting stuff to and from the device is always a pain and involves unnecessary navigation gymnastics. I dont like using the app drawer as my main interface (which is basically what iOS does). I love the notification bar on Android...and that it has real multi-tasking. I can download stuff in the background on a webpage while still scrolling.

I couldn't completely make the switch because Android, and the Nexus particularly, still has that "cool" factor. Can't quite put my finger on it. So I have both.
My roommate has a 3GS and my nephews have iTouches. So I have to stay somewhat familiar with it. But it is never enjoyable to use them. Almost every time they ask me for help it is to fanangle or trick their device into doing something that Android does by default.

mamawm

Reaction score
What app in particular? Never had an issue navigating any of the apps I use, using the built in buttons.
well, the thing that irked me most was gmail. when i opened an email that had a link (like the one i got notifyin g me of your post here) i clicked on the link and it took me to the browser. i would do whatever i needed to do, but i couldn't get back to the email. i had to go home, reopen gmail, reopen the inbox and then reopen the email. on android, i open an email, click on the link, take care of business, hit the back button and i'm back in the open email.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
well, the thing that irked me most was gmail. when i opened an email that had a link (like the one i got notifyin g me of your post here) i clicked on the link and it took me to the browser. i would do whatever i needed to do, but i couldn't get back to the email. i had to go home, reopen gmail, reopen the inbox and then reopen the email. on android, i open an email, click on the link, take care of business, hit the back button and i'm back in the open email.

Well, that's more app switching than navigating inside an app. You can double-click the home button to bring up the list of apps to switch between (like long-pressing Home on Android, or using the app list button on ICS).

But the iOS Gmail app has a long way to go anyway. :/ Hopefully they'll keep working on it.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Well, IMO, thats why you need a universal back button. Then you do not have to worry about whether developers will include basic navigation options in their apps. basic navigation becomes universal by default.

mamawm

Reaction score
To the op,, in the end both of these devices are great. They both do the same things, they just do then differently. If you really like your bionic you're one step ahead of many people reading this forum right now. good luck and just remember to use your head, not someone else's.

ConqSoft

Reaction score

JeffDenver

Reaction score
And the problem with a universal back button is, it's not consistent
Except for the Galaxy Nexus, every single Android phone I have ever used has had a back button.

And, Ironically, The Galaxy Nexus is attempting to follow the iPhone model of using software. Thankfully it looks like developers are ignoring the Nexus and continuing to use hardware nav buttons.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Except for the Galaxy Nexus, every single Android phone I have ever used has had a back button.

And, Ironically, The Galaxy Nexus is attempting to follow the iPhone model of using software. Thankfully it looks like developers are ignoring the Nexus and continuing to use hardware nav buttons.

? The nexus has a back button, it's just on screen rather than built in? And what developers? I'm pretty sure no other device that comes preloaded with ics has come out yet

ConqSoft

Reaction score

Not sure what you mean there. It does have a back button. Whether you click on a capacitive button on the phone, or on a "button" on the screen like on the Nexus, it performs the same function to the OS.

And it's not the Nexus doing it, it's Google, the creator of the OS doing it. If hardware makers want to keep using capacitive buttons, and hide the OS buttons that Google added, then that's their choice. Doesn't change what the buttons do though.

Last edited:
OP
W

WBOYCE421

Reaction score
thanks

Thanks for the info looks like i will stick with my Bionic. .
Not sure what you mean there. It does have a back button. Whether you click on a capacitive button on the phone, or on a "button" on the screen like on the Nexus, it performs the same function to the OS.

And it's not the Nexus doing it, it's Google, the creator of the OS doing it. If hardware makers want to keep using capacitive buttons, and hide the OS buttons that Google added, then that's their choice. Doesn't change what the buttons do though.