iPhone vs Droid operating fluidity?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
The iPhone is not immune to having to hard reset it from time to time... it may not be in the form of a battery pull. But pressing and holding the home button and power button preforms this. Equal to a battery pull.

No doubt. Now compare that user experience to removing the back of one's phone, setting it aside carefully, removing the battery, and carefully reassembling one's phone. As noted, Apple gives a high priority to a satisfying user experience.

P.S. According to my friends who own iPhones the frequency of hard resets is considerably less than is the case with the Droid.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
owned an iphone 3gs and it is a very good device. But the clock speed of the iphone 3gs is set to 600 as compared to the underclocked 550 of the droid; and yet the droid does many things better. To add to that the iphone only rune one app at a time and the droid does multiple. I am not taking anything away from the iphone, it is a solid device and I still recommend it to people who has att. I switched to verizon because of apple care's poor service and went droid. I have to admit that for the first month I was complaining and wanting to trade it in, but that was because I was wanting the nfl superfan. This forum helped me realize the capabilities of the device and what it can do. The common complain from new people to the device, including myself, is it does not do what my old device could. But majority of the time it can and it can do it better, The problem with the droid, which is not a problem, is that it comes out of the box bare and it allow the user to customize. If you come from an iphone where it is all set up for you; it takes awhile to realize that the device have the capabilities but you decide if you want it or not. The only complain I have about android is the market organization, but it is improving.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The iPhone is not immune to having to hard reset it from time to time... it may not be in the form of a battery pull. But pressing and holding the home button and power button preforms this. Equal to a battery pull.

No doubt. Now compare that user experience to removing the back of one's phone, setting it aside carefully, removing the battery, and carefully reassembling one's phone. As noted, Apple gives a high priority to a satisfying user experience.

P.S. According to my friends who own iPhones the frequency of hard resets is considerably less than is the case with the Droid.

That is because the iphone runs one app at a time so there is no two apps that can conflict.
2) The only time I had to do a battery pull before I rooted was once when dolphin browser locked up my device. Other then that the battery pulls I have performed was because of rooting. And since the iphone can not root, overclock, wifi tether, or install custom roms, why would they need to do a battery pull.

natty_lite

Reaction score
And BTW smooth transitions and animations between screens are not a good benchmark by which to judge an OS IMO. To me it's more of a gimmick than anything else as my Droid, running at the stock speed, is just as fast or faster than an iphone 3gs opening, closing, and switching between apps. And that's with running multiple widgets and 3rd party apps in the background.
Precisely. ^ This rarely gets mentioned.

3GS was an awesome device, I'm anxious to see if Apple truly ups the ante for their 4.0 device. My Droid is just as fun, while being more useful to boot.

darreno1

Reaction score
No doubt. Now compare that user experience to removing the back of one's phone, setting it aside carefully, removing the battery, and carefully reassembling one's phone. As noted, Apple gives a high priority to a

satisfying user experience.

I have yet to hard reset my Droid. Go visit the Apple forums and come back and tell me about a satisfying user experience. When a hard reset does not work, guess what? It's a trip to the Apple store. When a battery malfunctions? Same thing. At least you can swap out yours.

I had an iphone (3g) for a year so I have an idea of its user experience. I probably had to do a reset 5 or 6 times and I don't think it went a week without an app crash. And this was a non-jailbroken phone.

With the Droid, you have the choice of installing pretty much any app, and with that choice comes responsibility and a greater chance of issues from bad / malfunctioning apps. Given how stable and how well Android tends to recover from these situations I can surely forgive a battery pull now and then. Jailbroken iphones crash left and right too for the same reasons - third party software/ utilities. It comes with the territory.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. And how hard is removing the battery cover? You make it sound like it's some complicated process that requires tech support.

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
its funny that people complain about battery pulls. im basically just a normal user as of now (no rooting) and ive never had to do a battery pull in the near two months ive had the phone. im sure it all depends on what youre running on your phone but it cant be a complaint if its caused by the user

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

That is because the iphone runs one app at a time so there is no two apps that can conflict.
2) The only time I had to do a battery pull before I rooted was once when dolphin browser locked up my device. Other then that the battery pulls I have performed was because of rooting. And since the iphone can not root, overclock, wifi tether, or install custom roms, why would they need to do a battery pull.

Don't want to get into an extended discussion here but it appears the point in my initial post is being missed.

I simply noted the same point you're making. Apple's design decisions are aimed at providing a satisfying user experience for a huge consumer market. This inevitably entails limiting the extent to which consumers can "mess with" the internals of the iPhone's o/s and the "freedom" of developers to place half-baked ill-behaved apps in the "Market." It also enables Apple to seal the iPhone and avoid having the units returned to the store when crumbs and cheese from a pizza work their way into the phone.

And yes, it means that the designers decided that on a 3 inch screen the resolution provided by the iPhone was sufficient to "look good" without gobbling up a battery charge at the rate of the Droid. Especially if the overall look and feel of the UI provided smooth, predictable transitions.

All designs involve compromises. Apple made one set of compromises. Those who designed the Droid (and other android devices) made others. I personally prefer those made by the Droid designers. I don't kid myself that they were inherently better choices.

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
agreed the argument bassically has no point. both are great phones for what they do and one does some things better than the other. i picked the droid cuz it does what i need it to do and thats not taking away from the iphone but it just doesnt do what i need it to do. it all depends on the user

darreno1

Reaction score

Don't want to get into an extended discussion here but it appears the point in my initial post is being missed.

I simply noted the same point you're making. Apple's design decisions are aimed at providing a satisfying user experience for a huge consumer market. This inevitably entails limiting the extent to which consumers can "mess with" the internals of the iPhone's o/s and the "freedom" of developers to place half-baked ill-behaved apps in the "Market." It also enables Apple to seal the iPhone and avoid having the units returned to the store when crumbs and cheese from a pizza work their way into the phone.

And yes, it means that the designers decided that on a 3 inch screen the resolution provided by the iPhone was sufficient to "look good" without gobbling up a battery charge at the rate of the Droid. Especially if the overall look and feel of the UI provided smooth, predictable transitions.

All designs involve compromises. Apple made one set of compromises. Those who designed the Droid (and other android devices) made others. I personally prefer those made by the Droid designers. I don't kid myself that they were inherently better choices.

And I think you're missing our point, which is despite Apple's quest for a satisfying user experience, the iPhone still crashes, freezes, needs resets etc.

And the battery life on the Droid is comparable to or better than the iPhone 3gs. My friend at work barely makes it through the day with his while my Droid does it with ease. And I have the option for a spare or extended.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I outlast iPhone folks all the time, so maybe there is something up with your battery.

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
I outlast iPhone folks all the time, so maybe there is something up with your battery.

lol on a side note my droid battery lasts longer than my omnia did for sure;).....but i do have iphone buddies who complain about battery life but i figure with any phone its just how often you mess with it

darreno1

Reaction score
The iPhone having poor battery life is nothing new. There are tons of threads on the iPhone forums and all over the web about it. Apple's suggestion is to turn off all location services, bluetooth, wifi etc. The Droid is definitely better in that regard. With my 3g, I depended on my car charger pretty much every day, and especially on those days that I needed the GPS or did a little web browsing. And the 3gs and 3g battery life is comparable despite what Apple wants you to believe. With my Droid, I hardly use the car charger and it works way harder than my 3g did.