iPhone Verizon question?

Discussion in 'Iphone on VZW' started by jyoocp, Feb 12, 2011.

1. jyoocp

jyoocp New Member

I know this is a droid site sorry but this is the only forum I use for phones.

So backstory, I have 2 different family lines, and on my old family line, 2 of the 3 phones are in contract but nobody uses them anymore. I just found out that they're eligible for upgrade, Which is good because my phone on my new family line arn't eligible for upgrades.

I want to upgrade my old line to the iPhone then transfer the phone to my new number on my new family line.

So the question is, do I have to extend my contract for another 2 years when I upgrade my old number or can I just upgrade it, transfer to my new number, then wait until my old contract is over so I don't have to pay it anymore.
  2. Freakzilla401k

Freakzilla401k New Member

I'm pretty sure you'd have to extend the contract as well, I think that's one of the things that goes along with upgrading. I may be wrong though

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App
  3. jyoocp

jyoocp New Member

yeah thats what i thought, but my friend said you get an upgrade after a year or so and you can upgrade that phone until the end of your contract?
  4. Freakzilla401k

Freakzilla401k New Member

Upgrading on family plans might be a little different from upgrading on just a single line so I'm not too sure. I'd say just go to Verizon's website and usually a little chat box will pop up asking you if you'd like to chat with a Rep, just chat with somebody and ask to find out for sure.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App
  5. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that when you upgrade a line to a smartphone, you commit to 24 months of data to get the contract price.

People have claimed you can drop data, and maybe you can, but my impression when I got the D1 was $30 data a month for 24 months.
  6. takeshi

takeshi New Member

FYI - there's on Off Topic subforum for non-Droid/Android topics.

The only effective difference (in the context of this thread) is that each line has its own contract.

Nope. Data is not a contract item. If you use a smartphone on the line then you have to have a data plan. However, if you upgrade a line and transfer the smartphone to another line and use a non-data phone on the upgraded line then data can be dropped.

If in doubt, call 611.
Search tags for this page

verizon use upgrade phone on a different number