iPhone user

cabagekiller

Reaction score
Hello. I hope I am getting my droid today. I have used an iPhone that has been jailbroken for the past year and I have grow tired of it. It is a good design for a phone for people who like it to work OOTB, but I really enjoy moding and changing things in my electronic. I see the droid can be "jailbroken" in a way with gaining root access. I am curious about bricking the phone. I know the original iPhone could be, but later jailbreaking methods prevented this. How hard is it to brick? Also is there anyway to recover a bricked droid?

hobby31

Reaction score
Hello. I hope I am getting my droid today. I have used an iPhone that has been jailbroken for the past year and I have grow tired of it. It is a good design for a phone for people who like it to work OOTB, but I really enjoy moding and changing things in my electronic. I see the droid can be "jailbroken" in a way with gaining root access. I am curious about bricking the phone. I know the original iPhone could be, but later jailbreaking methods prevented this. How hard is it to brick? Also is there anyway to recover a bricked droid?

Hello and welcome. I too have had a jailbroken iphone and moved to the droid. I've done quite a bit of moding to a tmobile G1 and now the droid. I've never done anything on my own I've always followed what someone else had done and have never had any problems. SO, as long as you're comfortable with the command line and can follow directions it's pretty hard to brick. There are plenty of guides in this forum to get root access and to install the SPrecovery. Having the Nandroid backup/restore ability is the key. If anything does go wrong you can easily restore your phone back to were it was before you started. I would recommend reading a post fully before trying any particular mod. Most people that have problems can be traced back to them not following a certain step or inputing commands in the command line wrong. I would say the droid is pretty hard to brick.

Big Cam

Reaction score
DO date on the forum, I don't think there has been an actual bricked droid yet.

There is tons of info on the Hacking section.

OP
C

cabagekiller

Reaction score
Thanks for the information from both of you. I was just a tad concerned about the bricking of it due to the fact I'm switching to verizon for this phone and its service for where I go to school at. I don't want to drop 300 bucks on a sexy looking paper weight. I may hold off on the modding for a month or so to get accustomed to the phone. Or is modding it really that much more helpful?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for the information from both of you. I was just a tad concerned about the bricking of it due to the fact I'm switching to verizon for this phone and its service for where I go to school at. I don't want to drop 300 bucks on a sexy looking paper weight. I may hold off on the modding for a month or so to get accustomed to the phone. Or is modding it really that much more helpful?

There are some excellent step-by-step tutorials on this forum that will allow you to root and overclock your phone as long as you can read and then type carefully and accurately (or is precisely?). Good luck and welcome to the forum. BTW, my favorite rom is Bugless Beast at 950 mhz - stable and fast.