iPhone To Verizon Rumors Back

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by Edmvr6, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Edmvr6

Edmvr6 New Member

Posted by Ed Hansberry, Dec 22, 2009 12:23 AM
    It looks like the iPhone may yet head to Verizon despite some differences of opinion between the nation's largest carrier and Apple. Verizon has been beefing up their network to handle iPhone traffic in the event the Apple-AT&T exclusivity agreement ends.
    That may well be, but there are still some issues the two giants will have to come to an agreement on. As I pointed out a few weeks ago, Verizon favors its V Cast music service where it gets the money paid for songs. I actually don't know anyone that builds a music library using that service, but Verizon is very proud of it. Apple, on the other hand, has the iPhone tied inextricably to iTunes. Unless there is some sort of cut that goes on behind the scenes, AT&T doesn't see any of the iTunes revenue anymore than AT&T would get a cut of anything else purchased from an iPhone.
    My money is on T-Mobile getting the iPhone before Verizon does. It is a GSM network like AT&T so fewer hardware changes are necessary. T-Mobile would also be far more willing to meet Apple's demands than Verizon would be. And whatever happens will happen in 2010 too. The biggest shock I could think of relating to the iPhone would be the exclusivity agreement being renewed into 2011 and beyond.

http://www.informationweek.com/blog...l;jsessionid=L4FDF42ELC1XDQE1GHPCKHWATMY32JVN

I dont know how true this is... I love my Droid, I've been waiting patiently for the Iphone to come out for Verizon but when the Droid came out I was over the Iphone.. but I hear stuff like this and it makes me wonder If I would have a change of heart if it really did come out for verizon. Anybody else hear feel the same way??
    </SPAN>
  2. stopswitch

stopswitch New Member

Don't care if iphone does come to verizon. I will never own a useless overpriced apple product, ever. Once competitors like motorola come out with better and better smartphones, people will dump the pain in the ass apple co. The only ones to remain will be fanboys. Apples products are always overpriced, simplified(for idiots to use), and prevent device owners from actually taking ownership of their product( you can't even change a battery!).. no thanks
  3. iiimegamaniii

iiimegamaniii New Member

If the iDrone comes to Verizon, I'm sticking with the DROID / Android platform personally. There really is no benefit as far as I can see to switch platforms now--can anyone give me one reason why I'd be interested? LOL T-Mobile can have'em IMHO.

- Mega
  4. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

If the iPhone does come to Verizon I'm still sticking with my Droid. Apple's stranglehold on what gets offered to iPhone users turns me off.
  5. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

I came from an iphone for the last three years..... I have had all of them other then the 3gs.... I would not go back to att if if was free.... I also would not go back to an apple device over the droid either even if it was on Verizon's network.
  6. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

I have not come from an iPhone but but really wanted one.... so I thought. Now I'm iPhone-envy free and wouldn't switch. A buddy of mine is now ready to switch to Verizon for the droid from an iPhone after seeing mine and listening to me talk about it. Side by side comparisons have shown very close results with him having more dropped calls.

I'm good!
  7. Million

Million New Member

Though I will not switch to iPhone if it lands on Verizon, I do recognize iPhones novelty... I really enjoy the high level of customization that the Droid offers, but Droid is not for everyone, and iPhone is a good solid device with much support. The beauty of apples devices is their simplicity and ease of use, elements that
    clearly contribute to their popularity... things android do not possess... If iPhone does come to verizon... it will give Droid a run for its $$
  8. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

I wouldn't switch.

In the long run, the open development is the biggest factor. Being able to customize your phone is a *HUGE* deal. Unfortunately, this factor is also what makes the Droid less user friendly and intuitive.

Its the same exact difference between the whole Mac OS and Windows. Mac users have always went on and on about how stable and how much better it was than Windows. Windows was flawed, sure, but its because it could do so many DIFFERENT things that the nature made it more open for flaws. I've never understood the cult following apple products have had. Personally, I despise Apple. I hate iTunes, its intrusive. I hate having to use their software and their formats. Hell, iTunes actually isnt' even bad, I just resent the fact that I have to use it.

Same thing with their phone. The Droid is awesome. I'm pretty sure no one else in the world has the exact same setup as my Droid, and I like that. You pick up one iPhone, you picked them all up.

-Wil
  9. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

i dont use an iphone and don't want one but that was just plain rude. not everyone is a gd genuis so sometimes simplified things are a good thing.
  10. asmallchild

asmallchild New Member

I've been patiently awaiting a Verizon iPhone as well. Just got too entranced by the Droid. Oh well, it'll last me at least 10 months (I was thinking the iPhone, at earliest, would come June 2010)

Nice to finally have some disposable income to feed this fairly expensive habit of phone collecting :)
  11. Vitticeps

Vitticeps New Member

Its funny how often I hear about dropped calls. I have been with verizon since 1997 (still PrimeCo back then) and I have probably dropped maybe 10 calls EVER in those 12 years. The idea that it happens with any degree of regularity on other networks and is considered acceptable blows my mind.

Am I just really lucky or is the Verizon coverage in the Dallas/Ft Worth area just that good?
  12. andrewdoane

andrewdoane New Member

I won't consider iPhone until it comes to Verizon because of the dropped calls problem. If it does come to Verizon, I think it will be nice to have a choice. I won't be trying to switch before my 2 years are up because I really love the Droid, but I can't promise that I won't pick iPhone over Android in November 2011. I will just have to see what improvements both phones have made by then.
  13. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

You can find anything on the internet at just about anytime to substantiate this ridiculous notion of iPhone heading for Verizon. Look at the source of the OP's thread. Just who is this?

And even if he is someone in the know so to speak he even says T-Mobile will get it before Verizon.

Verizon has made it's bed and is going with Droid as their flagship touch screen phone. I'll even bet there is something hammered out with Google that gives them exclusive rights and prevents a deal from even being struck up with Apple.

OK, all that ranting aside would I switch? I might. I'm always curious to see how the other half lives. If I wasn't I'd still be returning my Storm 2 to fix the escape button issue for the 50th time. :biggrin:
  14. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

Do not believe what you read right now when it comes to these rumors. It is propaganda being put out by Apple, if not pushed by other carriers. The goal? To make AT&T pay even higher amounts of money to keep Apple exclusive. The current agreement is expiring soon.

AT&T needs Apple more than vice versa so Apple is just trying to get leverage to get the biggest deal in the history of the industry, to make up for all the lost revenue they could get with being with a better carrier like Verizon.

Not saying it won't happen.
  15. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

For the few years I worked in a VZW call center and heard all the whining and complaining how VZW cripples their phones and you're stuck with their IU, etc. Then they all flocked to the iPhone when it came out - talk about lock down! So, the Droid comes out with no restrictions, and people think if VZW got an iPhone that we'd give up our Droid for that piece of crap? No way. Go ask the BB users how happy they are that their default search engine is now Bing and not Google.
  16. RedBull

RedBull New Member

OMG...grow a thicker skin...he wasn't slamming you...you let yourself be slammed.

That said...I have an iPod touch...and am happy with it. Don't need the phone add on to make it more appealing. I'm so completely fascinated with my Droid that I'm still customizing all the time with it. Just added custom Icon packs from a different thread from Droid Munkey...they're awesome. And like was said earlier...no one else has a Droid that looks just like mine...even though the body of the phone is the same...the rest is not. iPhone can go wherever...I won't be going with it.
  17. soyboy

soyboy New Member

I am a mac user (have a macbook and a macbook pro at home) and I really like their OS (although I am not a fanboy/windows hater....I think people get WAY to hung up about that stuff). Anyway, I really like the Droid a lot, the only thing I miss is seamless integration with itunes, which is never going to happen if Apple has it's way (see Palm Pre).

However, I use Doubletwist for adding music and it works fine. That said I still depend on my ipod classic (160gb) as my main music player because there is no phone, apple, moto or otherwise that can hold the 140gb that I have on it. If Verizon got the iphone would I switch? Well certainly not until my contract was up, and maybe not after that, it would all depend on what phones were being offered at that time (2011). Anything can happen phone wise over the course of almost 2 years.

If Verizon had the iphone when it originally came out I would have gotten one at that time. However I didn't really like Verizons smartphone choices until the Droid, but I am very happy with my phone now. Plus as much as I am a Mac user, I am even more dependent on Google Apps so an Android phone works out very well for me.

BTW, I think Lordkastle may have it right, that Apple is just manipulating AT&T for a better deal. The iphone is AT&T's flagship even more than the Droid is currently Verizon's. They really need to hang on to it's exclusivity on their system. Some folks also also speculate that if Verizon does indeed get the iphone that it will be a different model, perhaps a "Nano"/smaller/less powerful phone. In the end who knows and it really doesn't matter as Android phones and the app store are going to explode over the next year, with more and more choices etc.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  18. Edmvr6

Edmvr6 New Member

"If" the Iphone comes to verizon I think its gonna get interesting...why? I heard that BlackBerry will be comeing out with new devices that have browsers similar to that of the droid and the Iphone. I honostly think it would be great to choose between android, apple and BB on the best network around.. I cant wait
  19. Jobucina

Jobucina New Member

i wasnt too thrilled with the bing search engine "upgrade"! It showed up on my menu last monday, I installed it and when I attempted to open it, i got the white screen and it froze me phone :( But, i had the googley shortcut anyway...
  20. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Ill keep my droid. I expect android to take off and really gain popularity in the next year or so.