iPhone preorder Record

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by czerdrill, Oct 10, 2011.

1. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
  2. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    This actually really surprises me, I mean you know Apple will sell but I definitely didn't expect record sales. I do wonder if this is almost like people paying homage to Steve Jobs. I am interested in seeing the upgrades vs new customer numbers.

3. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Yeah very true, and you're right could be many paying homage to jobs. But geez, the old record was 600,000 so no matter how you cut it this is a ridiculous number. The upgrades vs new customers is something that would be interesting to see too, because remember all the 3GS people are most probably upgrading now.

4. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +213
    This also could be a reflection of it being offered on more carriers. Wont all 4 major carriers be getting the IP4S??

LLR00717

5. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Not t-mobile but the other 3, but yeah that definitely plays into it as well

6. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +292
    All 9 other people in my office have either the 3G or 3GS and waited after hearing of "all the problems" with the 4 when it first came out. Not that that represents the whole population, but it wouldn't surprise me at all, based on that alone, if a decent percentage of those owners are tired of waiting and hoping for the best with the 4S.

7. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +248
    Current Phone Model:
    GNote2
    T-Mo is out in the cold on this one eh?! And where are the 64GB SD cards and phones that can support them?!

8. OneTenderRebel

Ratings:
    +63
    yeah any new phone will obviously get some new customers but I'm not gonna be shocked if a pretty good percentage of these pre-orders are upgrades. Like jstafford mentioned too, with Sprint in the mix now you would think that counts for roughly 15-20% of those orders.

9. MadDroid

MadDroid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think this is the biggest factor. Previously, a new model was only launched on one carrier. This is the first simultaneous launch. Taking this into account, the numbers aren't too surprising.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

10. OneTenderRebel

Ratings:
    +63
    Yep no T-Mobile but if T-Mobile is going to be bought out anyway, assuming it does happen, it would make sense for them not to lock themselves into a contract with Apple.

11. OneTenderRebel

Ratings:
    +63
    I take it as a ridiculous assessment of the situation. I don't know if it was serious or not, but do you honestly think we are smarter because we bought Android phones???

12. JayR_

JayR_ Theme Developer Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +4
    Well if not i have been mis-informed!! :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

13. OneTenderRebel

Ratings:
    +63
    true, although I do think the new iOS cuts the need to ever hook up to a computer. Obviously for us here in the forum we are looking for something deeper than what iOS offers but still the vast majority want quality and simplicity, which is exactly what the iPhone is, IMO.

14. JayR_

JayR_ Theme Developer Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +4
    The numbers are there, i mean you cant deny the popularity of the iphone. I personally will never own one i am a huge android enthusiast. However a few of my friends have left android for the ios, and swear up and down its the greatest thing. At the same time these people are not the least bit interested in rooting, overclocking, theming etc.. people will buy what suits them best, and as i have stated before, you might as well get what you really want because we all know these devices are not only expensive, but become outdated very quickly. I for one think the prices of these devices and services are absolutely absurd. However you have to roll with the changes. Anyway, the iphone thus far has not impressed me due to the lack of a 4g chipset, which im sure will change in the future. The biggest turnoff though would be that it is not open source, and lacks the ability for a full UI overhaul by the consumer. I am big into theming, its a very enjoyable hobby of mine. This is why android wins my business.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

15. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +292
    I have an iPhone 4 I've had for awhile, and I'm running ios5, and I must say it's quite nice... yes it's catching up to Android, but as is par for the course, it's well done and seamless (and so far bugless, even on an early build) to setup - and once it's setup, you never have to connect to your computer again.