iphone or droid

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Get an Ipad and have the best of both worlds.

I would rather get a laptop for the price of an iPad. I'm not a big tablet fan. They just seem like a huge awkward ipod touch. If I were to get a tablet, I would get something like the Asus transformer for a fraction of the price.

X

JuniorJays

Reaction score
I would rather get a laptop for the price of an iPad. I'm not a big tablet fan. They just seem like a huge awkward ipod touch. If I were to get a tablet, I would get something like the Asus transformer for a fraction of the price.

X

The prime is one nice tablet, but I agree with you a laptop is just a better option IMO.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I love my Nook Color running CyanogenMod 7.1. Waiting on CyanogenMod 9 though, that's for sure.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

X

Mostly agree, at least with the Ipad. IOS are basically toys to launch apps. Now if I had an Android tablet with all the widgets and customization I might feel different. But my IPad struggles for my attention between my laptop and Nexus. About the only thing I like about the IPad is the WSJ app (I have an online sub) is excellent and there are a few stupid games I like. Also, HBO Go and XFinity TV apps are nice for catching-up on shows (which, again, I tend to watch on my laptop much more).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
We're not just limited to rearranging app icons, we can go from a page full of apps to one that's full of widgets, it's really nice.

That, navigation (mentioned) and also location based settings (along with other triggers) with Locale or Tasker are what smartphones should be. It's not without effort, but when IPhone owners see what my phone does they are like "wow".

The primary advantage to IOS is few glitches and a boatload of quality apps. Understandably, that is sufficient and all that matters to some. But I have over 3 dozen widgets and 20+ "home screens" on my phone, which is pretty much laid out to quickly take me through everything I need to see and get lots of info quickly (via widgets). The reason I have so many widgets is I don't need to remember what I need to review and what apps to go into to get the info - they are necessities IMO for productivity management.

Mine is truly a smartphone and productivity tool. The IPhone is a tiny device that launches apps.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A laptop is the whole package. But if you're don't need all that, a tablet is a perfect replacement. Right now I have the eepad with the lap dock so its basically a laptop without a few features. The only thing I miss on it are Microsoft Word and PowerPoint. Otherwise its perfect. A lot more slim and light, and having a keyboard + touchscreen is pretty sweet. I'm able to download almost anything I'd normally download on my laptop too. However, if you're looking for actual gaming(not apps), its not for you. But I'm sure that obvious.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Im new to this so go easy on me. Let me get this out right away... I am an iPhone user!! But i love technology and I want to know why so many people love the android system. Ive been a die hard apple fan from the start. Even suffering thru the AT&T days until vow picked it up. Now, Ive sworn by Apple and constantly find myself in discussions with friends and others over whats best "Apple or Android". Obviously I have my own reasons and will admit Ive been a Droid "hater" for a while but find myself wanting to know whats so great about droid. I will admit, I don't like being under Apples rules and have jailbroken all devices but still stand by the basic form of Apple. So tell me, hopefully with facts, what makes Android better than iOS??
1) Android is available on many devices instead of one, so you have many options when it comes to what features you want and what you are willing to pay.

2) Because of #1, Android will always have new features before iOS has them. The best Android phones are generally better than the best iPhone in most ways. You also have more diversity...on Android you can choose a large or small display, Super AMOLED or LCD, Softkey or hardware keyboard, ect..

3) Android is less control-freak than Apple. This means things like alternative app stores, SD expansion, non-proprietary hardware standards ect...you can install any App you want at will without asking Apple permission.

4) Because Android is not proprietary, it is cheaper in general in every way.

5) The Android OS allows for more customization and personalization. This includes things like real widgets and live wallpapers and even installing alternative interfaces (called "Launchers" on Android). Yes, I have seen the analogs on Jailbroken iOS devices, and it isnt the same (and on Android you dont have to jailbreak to get them).

iOS products have a smoother (not necessarily better) UI experience. And on average iOS apps do perform better IMO. But that is the only real advantage to iOS.

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I did give droid a try, a couple of times... On Droid Pro release (total fail), I couldn't get with the battery drain. That seems to be a huge complaint among all my friends that have droid. Another issue I hear a lot about is lag. With my iPhone, i experience no lag at all. Oh, and one last thing, what about the security issue. Ive heard android is the most vulnerable to attack. ???
A lot has changed since the Droid Pro. All of the new Android phones (Razr, Rezound and Galaxy Nexus) are extremely fast. Lag does not really exist on dual core phones.

The security issue has been dramatically exaggerated. I have been using Android for almost 3 years, and know dozens of people with Android phones. I have never come across a single case of anyone getting a virus. The only reason I even know viruses exist on Android at all is because the media reports them. In the real world, Android is virus free. (And Viruses do exist on iOS as well, and you are much more likely to get one if you are Jailbroken...so that is one downside of Jailbreaking).

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Mine is truly a smartphone and productivity tool. The IPhone is a tiny device that launches apps.
This made me laugh as it really does sum up how simple the iphone is, but you can't deny that it works and works well. I completely understand why people like the iPhone so much and I've had my extended hands on with it numerous times. It's just not my cup of tea. If I wanted a ball and chain I would go get married right now:D

scott craft

Reaction score
The best thing to do is spend a lot of time in the store playing with phone and watch a lot of reviews on YouTube. Pretty much everything about these phones are opinions. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, you just have to decide which set of weaknesses you can live with. It doesn't hurt to read different forums and see what kind of problems people are having with each phone either.
Sent from my Windows 7 Phone using Board Express

JeffDenver

Reaction score
[video=youtube;DqtbXEbb6xU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqtbXEbb6xU[/video]

A video comparison of a recent Android phone and the best iPhone out right now. IMO he was actually a little generous to the iPhone (the camera comparison is not even close IMO).

Dave315

Reaction score
Final quick note. If you are going to buy a Razr (and many other Android phones for that matter), you can get them cheaper through Amazon than you can directly through the Verizon Store. For example, right now the Razr is only $169 on a new contract and $229 on a renewed contract -- so if you are willing to wait 2 days to get your phone after ordering, it is a good deal. Once you buy it, you take it to the Verizon store for service, just as if you had bought it there in the first place.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are you sure? I bought from a third party when my family had AT&T and any warranty was through that third party. AT&T wouldn't help at all.

X

Dave315

Reaction score
Are you sure? I bought from a third party when my family had AT&T and any warranty was through that third party. AT&T wouldn't help at all.

X
You actually buy insurance for the Razr on the AmazonWireless website and it is added to your device in the same manner you add data plans and whatever (including allowing me to keep my unlimited data). I know that some third-party vendors have their own insurance programs (my wife's iPhone does, for example) but I think the difference is that Amazon acts more as Verizon's agent than they do as an independent reseller.