iPhone on Verizon?? Nah...They're scared of Droid!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
But I find Android easy to use. Plus the iPhone is TOO simple for me. Not enough options to customize.

To each their own.... :)

thats exactly the simplicity that the majority want. an iphone is more or less a dumbed down version of android.

And that's precisely the sort of arrogant fanboy attitude that illustrates the challenges for android devices. My physician uses an iPhone for a variety of diagnostic and reference purposes; not because she needs a "dumbed down" version of anything, but because the apps she needs are available only on the iPhone.

Likewise, I have friends that use engineering applications on their iPhones that aren't available on the android platform. Again, not because they want/need a "dumbed down" version of a smart phone, but because interest in the technology of a smart phone is not equivalent to being a "smart" person.

Finally, I have colleagues that use BlackBerry's and iPhones for business that are tightly integrated with their email, messaging, and scheduling apps on their corporate servers. Why not use a Droid? Because the features available on the droid are "dumbed down" versions of what is available on other platforms.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
But I find Android easy to use. Plus the iPhone is TOO simple for me. Not enough options to customize.

To each their own.... :)

thats exactly the simplicity that the majority want. an iphone is more or less a dumbed down version of android.

And that's precisely the sort of arrogant fanboy attitude that illustrates the challenges for android devices. My physician uses an iPhone for a variety of diagnostic and reference purposes; not because she needs a "dumbed down" version of anything, but because the apps she needs are available only on the iPhone.

Likewise, I have friends that use engineering applications on their iPhones that aren't available on the android platform. Again, not because they want/need a "dumbed down" version of a smart phone, but because interest in the technology of a smart phone is not equivalent to being a "smart" person.

Finally, I have colleagues that use BlackBerry's and iPhones for business that are tightly integrated with their email, messaging, and scheduling apps on their corporate servers. Why not use a Droid? Because the features available on the droid are "dumbed down" versions of what is available on other platforms.

arrogant fanboy? dont even put me into that category as i have defended the iphone and apple more then anyone in this thread and in others.

and yes i know the iphone can be used for some very good purposes as you listed but those users account for less then 1% of total iphone users.

if you ask the majority of iphone users why they have an iphone you will get two answers ....
1: because everyone else has one
2: because its easy to use.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
I have heard this description before as well: The iPhone looks like something that everyone can use. The Droid looks technical, something for the technically savvy. A friend of mine said that the Droid looks like something that the IT guy at work would carry, while the iPhone looks like something a mom would use.

It's all about marketing, and image. Having a 'techie' image for your product is not really a bad thing, but it is bound to put off people who are easily intimidated by technology. Apple did a good job of making the iPhone (and iPad as well as the iPod Touch) seem user friendly, unobtrusive, and a "fit" for the regular person.

In my family we have 5 Droid users, 2 iPhone users, and 2 BlackBerry users. The use breaks down like this:

I have one because I like gadgets, needed a smart phone, and liked the Droid because it's not the iPhone nor a BlackBerry. My sister and her husband have one because they saw and liked mine, and decided that when they upgraded they would get Droids. My 3rd brother and his wife like the Droid's capabilities, and the apps they can get, plus they like it better than the iPhone.

My brother and sister in law have iPhones because they like Apple products. But, they also use their iPhones in their jobs, because the iPhone has apps the Droid doesn't

My other brother and his wife use BlackBerry devices because they need to be connected to their work places while they are on the road, and the BlackBerry is very, very good at that.

So, I don't knock their phone choices, I might make jest, but really, it boils down to what one needs the device for, and personal preference.

Personally, I think the Android OS will soon be giving Apple's OS a bigger run for it's money, and more and more apps will become available for the Android OS. I think the Droid X, and the other next gen Android phones due out soon will increase the pressure on the iPhone.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
if you ask the majority of iphone users why they have an iphone you will get two answers ....
1: because everyone else has one
2: because its easy to use.

Actually, I've never heard any iPhone user claim they have an iPhone because "everyone else has one." In fact, I can't think of any product that elicits such an answer. It's a putdown that others use to express disrespect. And of course, it's not true.

And since when did "ease of use" become a knock on a consumer product? Last I checked it's at the top of design requirements for just about all kinds of consumer technology.

drtnsnw

Reaction score
I may get bashed for this first because I don't even have a droid yet and second because ATT nad apple are doing this right. For 2 reasons,

1, they are very neat, clean, and easy to use. I am getting rid of my TP2 because it is a total PIA to use. One cab after another to give it the functionality it should have already had. I got flamed like crazy for this over at another forum!!!
2, there is for all intent and purpose only 1 iPhone. How many Android phones are out there right now?? If an aftermarket company wanted to build either an app or an add on where would they go?? iPhone with it's one updated phone every year or 18 months or Android with 4 new phones every quarter with different screens and cases??
I have an Incredebile coming this week, but if I had the opportunity I would have an iPhone tomorow, not because it is better, just because I would rather spend my time on my motorcycle, quad,snowmobile or working on my truck. I just want a phone to work!!!
Chris

OP
Akbad Tokimano
Reaction score
I may get bashed for this first because I don't even have a droid yet and second because ATT nad apple are doing this right. For 2 reasons,

1, they are very neat, clean, and easy to use. I am getting rid of my TP2 because it is a total PIA to use. One cab after another to give it the functionality it should have already had. I got flamed like crazy for this over at another forum!!!
2, there is for all intent and purpose only 1 iPhone. How many Android phones are out there right now?? If an aftermarket company wanted to build either an app or an add on where would they go?? iPhone with it's one updated phone every year or 18 months or Android with 4 new phones every quarter with different screens and cases??
I have an Incredebile coming this week, but if I had the opportunity I would have an iPhone tomorow, not because it is better, just because I would rather spend my time on my motorcycle, quad,snowmobile or working on my truck. I just want a phone to work!!!
Chris

"Uh huh..."

OP
Akbad Tokimano
Reaction score
Why do I hate BING so much??

Maybe I'm just sick and tired of Microsoft. (I'll take that to another thread) lol

Last edited:

tech94

Reaction score
i agree that the android OS has a ways to go. it has been out since 2008 but its not exactly a fair comparison to the iphone os of '07. the android os didnt really take off until vzw invested heavily into it. it has helped to boost it in a direction that has allowed the OS to grow. i would venture to say that without VZW investing in its growth that the android OS would be relegated to lesser devices and not be in the main stream media as it had been for so long on tmobile. the fact that vzw has invested so much into it indirectly tells me that either they have little interest in the iphone. conversely it can be said they they are also trying to prove to apple that they could market the hell out of the iphone. as for me, i personally love the android OS. sure it has its quirks and multiple versions out there but those can be seen as growing pains. i love my droid incredible and will be a loyal android user. im not a hugely tech savvy guy, thats why i read the forums to learn. im an everyday common guy and have no intentions to root my phone as i would just destroy it since i dont know enough. i also dont fix my car for that same reason, i like my warranty..lol.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
There's a fine line between 'ease of use' and less functionality.

^^^this

Is a stock Droid that tough to get up and running like an IPhone? A good chunk of IPhone users would be absolutely thrilled to have the custom home themes we do, but only if it came from Steve Jobs. I mean, they just got the ability to put a dozen apps in a folder and think it's just awesome!

Only an IPhone user who is convinced their phone is perfect would lose patience and throw away an "inferior" product after only a few minutes use. It's just like that youtube video - most IPhone users don't know what a smartphone should be capable of and don't care. I've talked to a few of these types and if their IPhone can't do something, then it's because Steve Jobs thinks it's a waster, and no one knows more than Steve Jobs.

Last edited:

King_Bean

Reaction score
Before I got my Droid, I was with AT&T for almost 11 years and during that time I was an "average user". I know NOTHING about cell phone technology and whenever I was eligible for an upgrade, I just got the cheapest thing available. For the 11 years I was with AT&T/Cingular, I could have gotten an iPhone but I never had a serious urge to get one. I'm not sure why, but I just wasn't blown away by at.

After a dispute with AT&T, I switched to Verizon in December 2009 and the first phone I ever got with Verizon was the Droid. It's funny that I, an average user at the time, willingly CHOSE an Android smartphone AS SOON as I came over to Verizon when, whereas I never chose the iPhone when I easily could have.

So, the moral of the story is this; there are other consumers out there like me (average users) who actually do, for whatever reason, geniunely find Android more appealing than iPhone. In other words, not every Android user chose their phone strictly because they were not on AT&T and they didn't want to switch carriers for an iPhone.

OP
Akbad Tokimano
Reaction score
Before I got my Droid, I was with AT&T for almost 11 years and during that time I was an "average user". I know NOTHING about cell phone technology and whenever I was eligible for an upgrade, I just got the cheapest thing available. For the 11 years I was with AT&T/Cingular, I could have gotten an iPhone but I never had a serious urge to get one. I'm not sure why, but I just wasn't blown away by at.

After a dispute with AT&T, I switched to Verizon in December 2009 and the first phone I ever got with Verizon was the Droid. It's funny that I, an average user at the time, willingly CHOSE an Android smartphone AS SOON as I came over to Verizon when, whereas I never chose the iPhone when I easily could have.

So, the moral of the story is this; there are other consumers out there like me (average users) who actually do, for whatever reason, geniunely find Android more appealing than iPhone. In other words, not every Android user chose their phone strictly because they were not on AT&T and they didn't want to switch carriers for an iPhone.

Now... that's encouraging to hear. I would hate to think most people would actually sign contracts with a carrier (knowing they are sub-standard) just to get a certain device. That's kinda stupid. Think about it... How would any thinking person think they would get "Ferrari performance" on a "dirt road" network. (lol)

Last edited:

debdroid1a

Reaction score
There's one problem with the theory that 95% people will drop Android phones for iphones.

Lots of people don't like apple's products. Or the apple company.

There are forums I've visisted where people just don't want an iphone, they'd take anythingBUTiphones. Some people on the MP3 player forum I used before my Droid, they don't want anything to do with apple products, iphone or others.

Yes some may change their minds if it every came to Verizon. But I think many just don't want that phone for various reasons.

Taegost

Reaction score
There's one problem with the theory that 95% people will drop Android phones for iphones.

Lots of people don't like apple's products. Or the apple company.

There are forums I've visisted where people just don't want an iphone, they'd take anythingBUTiphones. Some people on the MP3 player forum I used before my Droid, they don't want anything to do with apple products, iphone or others.

Yes some may change their minds if it every came to Verizon. But I think many just don't want that phone for various reasons.

I've never been a big fan of Apple, I've always felt they were a tad overpriced and their focus was on things that I didn't care about. I wanted to get an iPod, but I didn't like the interface (or lack thereof with some like the Nano) and I ultimately decided not to because I'd want at least 30G which was more then I wanted to spend...
I've always loved smartphones, and I wanted an iPhone for the longest time because it would integrate a smart phone with an iPod, which would have been perfect... But I wasn't about to leave VZW... So I was waiting for it to come over...
Then I found out about the Droid, and was *dying* to try it out (Especially since the Samsung i760 WinMo phone I had was slow as hell and couldn't keep up with my typing). Then, I got on these forums, and the more I learned about it, the more I fell in love... The day I installed Cyanogenmod 5.0.6.1 was the day I decided that I will never use anything other then Android ever again :)