iPhone on Verizon?? Nah...They're scared of Droid!

Reaction score
Think of it this way. The iPhone (and most apple products) are for the average user who doesn't care about tech stuff and control of the product they own. The Android is made to appeal to those masses, but afford the technical user an experience that apple simply can't/won't attempt to hang with. I think there are more average people and less nerds in the world....which is fine for me cause I like showing off what my phone can do and wowing other people. What I don't get is why people get so bent out of shape over this. Without competition between the two....neither would continue to advance and make the end users experience better.

dhinged

Reaction score
The only reason I want an iPhone is because of iTunes... the only reason I bought a Droid was because of AT&T...

When Apple comes to Verizon, it will be on LTE, which will have worse coverage than GSM... not feasible for a while. Most likely nothing will change, but iPhones do outsell Android phones, and more people are willing to switch to AT&T to get an iPhone than switch to Android to get Verizon.

If iPhone went to Verizon CDMA... well then you might have an Android killer, but only for a while.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
the only reason the droid has sold so many devices is because people that dont want to leave verizon but want an iphone type device...

This is so true, and i have to admit, the reason i got the Droid (and now the HTC Inc) is because i didn't want to switch to AT&T for the iPhone but i wanted a device that does apps and such that is comparable to the iPhone.

bomber889

Reaction score
At first, I liked the iPhone better than the Droid. But, now that I know what the Droid can fully do, I will never buy an iPhone and will stick to android for good.

soccer568

Reaction score
You guys also have to take into fact that the android os is still pretty new compared to the iphone os. When the first iphone came out it was so glitchy and alot ofpeople returned them. It wasnt like right when the iphone came out everyone like them it took a whil and once they fixed all the bugs people started to like them. The android market is still growing and will keep improving just like the android os will too.You just have to give it a little time.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You guys also have to take into fact that the android os is still pretty new compared to the iphone os. When the first iphone came out it was so glitchy and alot ofpeople returned them. It wasnt like right when the iphone came out everyone like them it took a whil and once they fixed all the bugs people started to like them. The android market is still growing and will keep improving just like the android os will too.You just have to give it a little time.

iphone came out summer of 2007 android came out summer of 2008

don't get me wrong i love android and doubt i would ever own an iPhone just because i like to tinker and i'm an EX-linux administrator so i know the system quite well but android will never be able to compete with the iPhone.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

iphone came out summer of 2007 android came out summer of 2008

don't get me wrong i love android and doubt i would ever own an iPhone just because i like to tinker and i'm an EX-linux administrator so i know the system quite well but android will never be able to compete with the iPhone.

Never is a long time, but your point is well taken. Google faces a host of challenges in promoting the android environment that Apple does not. The most obvious is Apple's control over the hardware that runs its o/s and associated applications. Google's strategic approach is a good one, but it's also the only viable strategy available for the android o/s.

For "tinkerers," (aka hackers), the android environment is ideal. But the challenge facing google is not to provide a more "open" environment and "customizable" devices. It is to provide a device that need not be "tinkered" with. And on that score, the android environment has a long way to go.

OP
Akbad Tokimano
Reaction score
Android isn't gonna die because of the iPhone on VZW.

Personally, I hope to never see it on VZW.

The iPhone will be behind Android phones in technology in a years time. Watch.
You can only repackage the same device over and over and over so many times before people want something more....

Now, this is very true!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Locked bootloaders are a step in that direction.

Moto/Android (whoever else) is working toward that 'no need to tinker' device.....

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can only repackage the same device over and over and over so many times before people want something more....

most people don't care about the technology behind the device they just want one that works as it should and is simple to use, so far apple has both of those locked down pretty well.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
My experience has always been that people want their technology to work with as little input as possible.

Computers really did not start to take off until Windows was introduced. Yes, I know, there were plenty of DOS users out there in the 80's, and many people had home computers. However, the Windows interface (like it or leave it) made computing more user friendly. It removed the need for remembering cryptic commands, and replaced it with a mouse movement, and a button click (I know, Apple was doing the GUI thing before PC's, but Apple computers didn't have the market share PC's did) Once that happened, everyone began to discover computing and how useful it could be.

Smartphones are the same way. It's not that people are dumb, or "unwashed" or, what have you. People buy smart phones for ease of use, and Apple's iPhone sounds friendly to these people, because, all you have to do is take it out of the box and it works. Apple is chic, cool, kind, and friendly. Android is technical, intimidating, and complex. I was at a 4th of July party last week, and among some of us, the conversation turned to smart phones, and which is best.. One of the partygoers was asking questions about both the iPhone and the Droid, she looked at both (my iPhone owning brother and sister in law were there) and came away with the above conclusion. The iPhone is "friendly" and while she liked my Droid, she said it seemed "complex" and maybe a level or two above the iPhone in terms of complexity. Both phones are easier to use, and quite capable, but the iPhone has a reputation that precedes it.

The other thing about both phones is the apps. iPhone has a more polished looking appearance, it has "big name" apps and games (Monopoly, among others) where as, for now, anyway, the Market has knock-offs. (I know the situation is improving) The other frustrating thing: Our big, local talk radio station has a "listen anywhere" app available for iPhone and BlackBerry, but no plans to release one for Android, even though, they admit, they are getting hammered with requests for an Android based app from a growing number of Android users in the their audience. I wonder if some of the iPhone devs out there have exclusivity agreements with Apple... in other words, "you make your app for us, and only us". As big a name as Verizon is, you would think that maybe they could leverage some developers to get some "bigger name" apps, as it were, in the Market.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

most people don't care about the technology behind the device they just want one that works as it should and is simple to use, so far apple has both of those locked down pretty well.
I agree with your statement.

But I find Android easy to use. Plus the iPhone is TOO simple for me. Not enough options to customize.

To each their own.... :)

muzhik

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OnePlus One

But you have to "hold it" differently...

Sent from my Droid

Last edited by a moderator:

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
But I find Android easy to use. Plus the iPhone is TOO simple for me. Not enough options to customize.

To each their own.... :)

thats exactly the simplicity that the majority want. an iphone is more or less a dumbed down version of android.

But you have to "hold it" differently...

Sent from my Droid

lol yeah this is a whole nother story.....