Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Could Care less

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am going to be honest and admit I'm terrified what will happen to Android when the iPhone hits VZW. We all have to be rational here: As someone else here posted, many VZW Droid-line users really want an iPhone. Hell, I did, too, but am on a VZW family plan. I got my first Droid and will most likely not be switching to the iPhone, especially from my Droid X, but what about everyone else? It's the iPhone for God's sake...everyone wants one...well, everyone who isn't on a Droid forum.

Android is going to lose a lot of marketshare. That's a fact. Verizon is going to push the iPhone like no other. They know that it's the iPhone, not the Droids, that will kill At&t. If it's 4G/LTE, we are ****ed.

Google needs to debut Gingerbread, and FAST. It has to be what everyone is "saying" it will be: a UI overhaul that makes it look very user-friendly. Sure, WE know what to do with an Android phone, but the average consumer barely knows how to customize the homescreen. Google really really really needs to hit 3.0 out of the park.

Either way, I'll say 1/3 of Android users on VZW will switch to the iPhone. Especially if Verizon makes a deal like the did on the Droid X: "Upgrade TODAY if you have an upgrade available at all this year".

I still hear that's December but no official word on that. Personally I would take 2.5 on my X now if possible :)

Stang68

Reaction score
I am going to be honest and admit I'm terrified what will happen to Android when the iPhone hits VZW. We all have to be rational here: As someone else here posted, many VZW Droid-line users really want an iPhone. Hell, I did, too, but am on a VZW family plan. I got my first Droid and will most likely not be switching to the iPhone, especially from my Droid X, but what about everyone else? It's the iPhone for God's sake...everyone wants one...well, everyone who isn't on a Droid forum.

Android is going to lose a lot of marketshare. That's a fact. Verizon is going to push the iPhone like no other. They know that it's the iPhone, not the Droids, that will kill At&t. If it's 4G/LTE, we are ****ed.

Google needs to debut Gingerbread, and FAST. It has to be what everyone is "saying" it will be: a UI overhaul that makes it look very user-friendly. Sure, WE know what to do with an Android phone, but the average consumer barely knows how to customize the homescreen. Google really really really needs to hit 3.0 out of the park.

Either way, I'll say 1/3 of Android users on VZW will switch to the iPhone. Especially if Verizon makes a deal like the did on the Droid X: "Upgrade TODAY if you have an upgrade available at all this year".

I still hear that's December but no official word on that. Personally I would take 2.5 on my X now if possible :)

I would take an update to the current 2.2 with all these ****ing bugs...

Ansextra

Reaction score
It's another rumor until it's confirmed by VZ or Apple. That said, will all the complaining about Android being a closed system since newer phones are essentially unrootable they're still way more open than Apple.
It's just like PC's and Apple when they first started. Apple kept a closed system while MS let anyone install the OS. Apple fell way behind. Same thing now. History repeats itself.

Sniper_5

Reaction score
I phone = simple, so yeah, android may lose customers. However this is only going to bring phone prices down and deals up. Why freak out over it? at the rate I phone evolves I really don't see a need to rush 3.0, and have we forgotten the rumors of dual core Android phones? do you really think I phone will be able to keep up with android devices? even with lte your not going far without a good processor. To me its a no brainer. I'll be sticking with Android. I also love all the debate over cameras and 720p recording. Yeah we all snap pics and maybe some shoot short clips but who's making a home movie that the recording matters that much? we delt with standard phones for years now without all these features. I'm still rocking a D1 and loving it. I also still prefer it over the I phone 4. I just can't get over that all the metal infused I phones still feel like crap. I'm afraid I'll break it. But even holding the plastic bodied( and very slim) droid x it carried a very good quality feel to me. I can't wait for the I phone. Better android deals, lower prices, newer phones, and watch all the fan boys drop the I phone after they realise it isn't just the network that makes the I phone less superior to android. :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Reaction score
If it does come to Verizon, I might switch to Sprint so I dont have to be with a carrier that supports the i*hone. I just hate crApple, and maybe Sprint will save me a little money as a bonus.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think there will be a significant percentage of users who switch to the IPhone, but I don't think it's an Android killer. I believe many folks will switch back and forth between the two OS when they get a new phone. There will also be many users like my son who will switch because of the buzz factor. We don't have ATT in MT, but I know several people who have IPhones in WA and many aren't big fans. I think long term Android will eventually take over. I see similarities between this battle and the IBM vs MS struggle in the 80's. IBM focused on hardware and MS focused on software. We all know how that turned out.

Funny how things cycle. No longer do people ask if something will be an iPhone killer. Now some wonder if it will be an Android killer.

Sniper_5

Reaction score
Out of the 15+ people that I know, 2 enjoy their I phone. The rest, after handling my phone are considering a switch to verizon for an android powered device. The widgets were among their favorite features. I don't see apple incorporating that feature alone any time soon. If your referring to the gap between I and phone. I care to little to remove the auto space put in by my slide it keyboard let alone add I phone to my dictionary in the proper manner.

Stang68

Reaction score
Out of the 15+ people that I know, 2 enjoy their I phone. The rest, after handling my phone are considering a switch to verizon for an android powered device. The widgets were among their favorite features. I don't see apple incorporating that feature alone any time soon. If your referring to the gap between I and phone. I care to little to remove the auto space put in by my slide it keyboard let alone add I phone to my dictionary in the proper manner.

I agree with you about the widgets and iPhone people actually liking Android lol. The thing is, most iPhone users don't know what Android can do. I sit there telling people my Droid X can do everything an iPhone can do an more and they look at me like I'm crazy.

I figured you were on a keyboard like that. It was just annoying.

Rhino413

Reaction score
The Verizon wireless

CEO was asked about the Iphone coming to big red like a month ago and his respose was simply "not any time soon" the reason is apple wont sell any of their products with having the ability to up sell the apple care plans that go hand in hand with their high priced junk. and Verizon will never sell a phone that requires tech support outside of big red. Because you have two huge corporate EGOs this rumored marriage will never happen NEVER less big red decides to bend over and take it from apple or LESS apple bend over and take it from big red.

the only confirmed anything about the IPHONE and not even the IPHONE4 is that apple is in the works to make a cdma iphone that is most likely heading to china and south america where they have huge fairly new cdma networks.

flighinhigh

Reaction score
Something to at to the debate is what are the manufactures and Verizon going to change on the new phones? Bing and Microsoft on Android? Then lock the phone down so hard they can not be changed and we are stuck with BING. If the Apple does not have BING then that could be a reason to make the change. I for one am very tired of MS dictating there bloatware on the people that support them to there lavish lifestyles. Yes I desire an Android phone with 4.3" screen, LTE, no BING, dual-CPU and that is all six months or more away. I desire a Android phone NOW!!!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ppl thinking its gonna be a huge blow to Androd from ppl already using Android switching to the iPhone, or fearing about Android's survival on Verizon...

Um....Android is a decent OS. lol. If Android was some garbage:

1. Yea it would be a huge blow from folks switching from Android to the iPhone.
2. It wouldnt have got all this market share.

As amazing and ridiculous as it sounds:

1. Ppl do actually pefer a physical keyboard.
2. Ppl actually did choose other phones on AT&T. And thats was before Android came out.

I know, its sounds insane doesnt it? :dry:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
What ppl need to worry about and Apple should do from a business perspective is offer the iPhone on Verizon AND AT&T.

And everyone worrying about the iPhone......dont sleep on Win Phone 7...cuz me personally I would look at that before the iPhone. Unless there was a totally redesign of the current iPhone: the outer shell, antenna, and have a removable battery.

And before some one mentions removable battery aint important: think about having a flashlight, a donut, spare tire for your car.....not needed in every day use but very valuable when u need them.

Rhino413

Reaction score
as a systems admin

we a have a saying for people who use apple products

yuppies who cant think for themselves.

the truth is most of the Android community would remain unchanged as these people are by nature rebels and tinkers. And I for my self love GOOGLE and anything open source this is why I will never buy MS office and will go to the grave using open office. Apple and MS have laughed and spit in the face of open software. and it has crept in and now kicked them both square in the nuts. MS is running around in their corporate seminars like retards saying Android is a fluke and wont last. They did this once before and now apache and Linux based systems have bit hard into the strong hold of MS in the server environment. Apple is non existent in the corporate world. and Apple has survived by marketing them selves as the exclusive high end Porsche of the computer world. Apple could have owned Verizon if they had released it like three years ago. But android is taking over even on their beloved home network of AT&T android phones are out selling the iPhone there as well. and who could blame those people the Samsung Galaxy phone on AT&T is a sexy sleek phone