1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

iPhone can DROID can't?

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by xxnonamexx, Nov 24, 2009.

1. xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx New Member

Is there a way/application to allow visual voicemail and multitask like the iPhone? example friend calls wants to see the time a movie is playing can I launch an app with the person on phone and get the movie times? I see iPhone ads saying DROID can't.
  2. Luxferro

Luxferro New Member

Get an iPhone, and be stuck using only one app at a time, and be lucky if you get calls lol ;p
  3. JackT

JackT New Member

This isn't Droid specific, this is Verizon's network being CDMA based.
  4. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

op, are you being sarcastic? iphone has no multitasking ability. but the AT&T network is designed so you can get voice and data simultaneously, which is unavailable with VZ (supposedly, i haven't tried yet)

edit: i guess talking + surfing the web is a version of multitasking.
  5. xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx New Member

Thanks I saw the add and I know AT&T is trying everything to bash DROID so I was curious if this was a DROID flaw that was able to be resolved in an app. Thanks again
  6. silenceforus

silenceforus New Member

I feel the need to pipe in.

The droid multitasks verrry well,

And if you are connected to wifi while on the phone you will still have internet functionality, soooo there's that. If you've got wifi you can.
  7. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

Dont feed the Trolls.
  8. xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx New Member

Thanks I am getting the droid probably next week and even w/o that (iphone) feature I don't think its a big deal. I love V commercials bashing AT&T crap
  9. RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger Premium Member Premium Member

I am not sure what exactly you need. BUT. My Milestone is having dataconnection while having calls as well.

Also a nice feature is holding a call while taking another call or even get callers together, to a conference. NICE!
  10. Utzz

Utzz New Member

Hmm, I just called myself and tried using the browser to look up a movie. No dice. It seems when a call is in progress, it cuts off internet access.
  11. Zippster

Zippster New Member

Yes that is a stated and known fact, you need to use wifi to do both simultaneously.
  12. Sp3aK

Sp3aK New Member

But if you are browsing it can pause and get a call. Well I assume anyways. I was streaming music with Pandora and it paused to take a call and resumed as soon as I hung up.

I do see how this could be annoying but each company has their downfalls.
  13. Stigy

Stigy New Member

This has been discussed before...

CDMA (Verizon's network) does not allow for simultaneous voice + data. When Verizon launches their 4G (LTE) network next year it will allow for that and then AT&T will have no argument.
  14. mevans

mevans New Member

Not only that, but AT&T/Apple's ad is only true in 3G areas. Edge can't do simultaneous voice/data either and that comprises 90% of their coverage.
  15. freshtodeath213

freshtodeath213 New Member

In terms of visual voicemail, get a google voice invite and download the app. It's free and the transcription feature is nice, although not very accurate. If you want, you can pay Verizon $3 I think for their Visual Voicemail service.
  16. moosc

moosc Member

Wrong u can voice and data on cdma but vzw has it Locked down.
  17. Leckert123

Leckert123 New Member

• Droid is on Verizon's CDMA network. CDMA does not support simultaneous voice and data. In a sense, the Verizon network cannot multi-task.
    • The Droid can multi-task so, in theory, shouldn't you be able to simultaneously have a VOIP phone call and do other Internet stuff, emails, etc?

• iPhone is on AT&T's GSM network. GSM can do both voice and data at the same time.
    • The iPhone device cannot generally multi-task, but there are a couple of things it can do concurrently. My old 2G iPhone can play iPod music while you do Internet stuff. Maybe video works the same way.

Funny summary
    - the Droid can multi-task, but runs on a network that generally can't. The iPhone generally does not multi-task but runs on a network that can. So, an iPhone on CDMA would be the worst of all possible worlds...a device that does not multi-task on a network that can't either.

Perhaps this is why the Verizon iPhone won't appear on Verizon until Verizon launches their next generation network?
  18. nikolatesla20

nikolatesla20 New Member

I can't believe why anybody would make a big deal about this honestly.

For one thing, if I'm on the phone with someone and then I try to go look something up on the Internet at the same time - well that's pretty damn rude. Just tell them you'll call them back. Better yet, just text them! I mean c'mon, is this really a "feature" that someone is going to want to use so much, that the lack of it will make or break their purchase?

I don't think this is the "Huge Problem" that people are making it out to be. Why would you want streaming music playing while on a phone call? That's just stupid! A phone call is a phone call, it is a PHONE, and a call should trump all other uses.

-niko
  19. JackT

JackT New Member

Then Sprint must have it locked down as well because on a Palm Pre on Sprint, I wasn't able to do this either. I also haven't been able to find documentation stating that any implemented EVDO Rev A allows this.
  20. Tekmazter

Tekmazter New Member

The commerical about AT&T and the IPhone using voice & data at the same time is pretty lame. Not for how it's presented, but just that the feature is not something that the majority, if even 3%, use.

In fact, if you realistically try to do this, it's quite annoying for the person on the other end of the call to sit there in dead air waiting for you to look something up. Most people just say, I'll check and let me call you back.
Search tags for this page

ap that allows droids and iphones

what an iphone 5 do that droid cant

what can an i phone do that an andriod phone cant

what can an iphone 5 do that droid cant

what can an iphone do that a droid can't

what can iphone do that droid can't