Iphone 6s Event Will Be Wednesday September 9

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Don't put your wallet away just yet. Android is great for those of us who love shiny new toys and often. It seems like every time you turn your head there is a slick new phone to buy. Apple is different they only release a new phone per year. Last year they mixed it up by adding the larger Iphone 6 Plus, and the year before that they did have a cheaper version of the Iphone called the Iphone C. This year we may see three devices, an Iphone 6s, 6s Plus, and 6sC.

I know that many of you here have not one care in the world for an Iphone. Believe me I am right there with you. I love to have a device that I can do what I want to do with, and customize any way I like. I did a speed test between last years Iphone 6 and the Note 5 I bought a few days ago and was surprised at just how much faster last years Iphone was. This got me to thinking.

Don't get me wrong I will forever be an Android guy, but I think this year I may have to give the latest Iphone a try. Whatever Apple has up their sleeves we will find out on September 9th. The event will be held at 10 am Pacific at the Bill Civic Auditorium in San Francisco. We may also see new ipads here instead of later in October. What do you guys think? Is anyone going to be giving the iphone a try this year? Samsung ran out of tester units (50,000) in total during their loaner event trying to get Iphone users to switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I find myself increasingly curious this year for the Apple device also. Not that I can see me giving up the functionality of my S pen but I'd like too see what they are up too.

Note 4tified

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how much closer to each other the newest iOS and M will become more than I am about models of phones. I know I'll be shaking my head at the ones that'll buy the newest iPhone regardless of what it brings but many of them that I know will be retiring their iPhone 4-5S to do so. I know my family isn't interested in phablet sized phones, their definition being anything above 4.5", so if they try and keep up with Android in that area they'll just hang on to their 4s and 5s a while longer. Others I know won't care what it looks like or does as long as it's an iPhone

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

bucho602

Reaction score
If Iphone just brings widgets to the home screens, I'm sold. I have always been an Android fan and anti Apple guy. I refuse to use a Mac when Windows is just so much easier, but for phones and tablets, I may be singing a different tune. I bought an Ipad Air 2 for my wife and I love using it. I hate how the desktop of it looks, but the speed and fluidity are amazing. Would be nice if Samsung could do this as I love a lot of their UI. For example, just the closing of recent apps, much nicer on Touchwiz imo compared to stock droid, unless I haven't figured out how to do a close all. Samsung just always gets so laggy and lame after the first few months, leaving me wanting a new phone. Back when I had my Droid Razr, I felt like I never needed something newer, til I saw something bigger. But now that 6 is probably the biggest, that element removes some drive. Does anyone know if Iphones will implement widgets?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I like the iPhone for one reason; it forces Android devices to be better.

Whether we like it or not, the iPhone is the benchmark for smartphones. Why? Because Apple made smartphones mainstream.

I thank Apple and the iPhone for that, but no way would I ever be a customer.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I won't ever say never, but for all the reasons posted above, I'll remain loyal to Android. That said, I've used my share of Apple products over the years to know they are a force to be reckoned with simply because their software has always been so fluid with their hardware. I mean look at the specs of the latest iPhones.....you'd think they were mid range devices (on paper) compared to Android flagship models. Yet they perform just as well, and in many instances better, than most high end Android devices. The only reason I haven't purchased one is because I bought an Android first. Having seen how limiting IPhones can be, in terms of customization, there's no way I would waste 7-8 hundred dollars on a device that's going to look like every other iPhone in the world. That's just crazy talk! One day, when Apple releases ios 22, and tell the world they've invented complete customization, I may consider purchasing one. But for now, my hard earned money will continue going to Samsung or some other beastly Android manufacturer.
Aside from the fact that Apple hasn't been relevant (let alone innovative) since Mr Jobs passed away. I don't do boring, and that's what the current iPhones are to me.

blowmeoff

Reaction score
well, let's see what they have to offer this time around..I'm curious but not as interested as when the Note 5 launched

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 5th or 6th Android, have been a ROM Crack flash nut and a huge Nexus fan. But, I'm sort of getting tired of constant change, and the related issues/bugs that follow all the flashing and changes, and with Verizon being the only force that covers all the bases so much better out here in lower SoCal, possibly meaning less chance to root a new device... It may mean looking much closer to Apple...
The wife already has all Apple, and excels with it, so I get to see somewhat first hand its operations... That being said, I'll be watching what's up on the 9th, but getting in line to grab the first, no, the S5 is more or less flawless now, but my next phone spot on the horizon doesn't necessarily end with Droid...

Ps. I have 2 rooted Nexus tablets, so whatever decision is made, Android will still be used Daily...

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am actually looking forward to seeing what Windows 10 Phone does for the industry, and Universal Apps. This idea alone is a good reason to not always have to look left (Apple) or right (Android).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I feel the same about customization as many have already mentioned here, but I've also got to say, I'm invested in android financially as well. My first android phone was the G1 and I only ever looked back from that with a touch screen dumbphone when I first moved to my current area because that's all my carrier had to offer. Then, VZW bought them out and came along with the OG Droid.

I tried the iPhone...4, maybe? Kept it for a day or two and couldn't stand it anymore, so I returned it and went back to whatever Moto Droid I had at the time.

Bottom line, I haven't run anything to tell me the exact number, but I know I've invested quite a bit of money into paid apps that I use very often (and others that I'll likely never use again). So, on top of losing customization options, if I were to switch, I'd have to find equivalent apps on iOS and likely pay a few bucks for them again to do what I'm already content with on my android phone.

Also as others have said, I like the competition that pushes android to continue to improve and adapt, so I will see what's announced on the 9th, but can confidently say I'm not running out to buy this iteration of the iPhone. Like cr6, I won't say NEVER, but the chances are slim.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I bought the 6 Plus last year after not having used an iPhone since the Galaxy S2 came out. I tinkered with them here and there when the family needed help with something, but that was the extent of it.

Using the 6 Plus felt like I was stepping back in time. The only noticeable changes were the added notification bar (at the top), command center (at the bottom), and a scaled back UI.

I've had a lot of issues with my iPhone that were software related and hardware related. The radios are not as good as other phones in the house and iOS 8 has been a trainwreck.

I still haven't decided whether or not stepping back in time is a good thing or a bad thing. On one hand you have the ability to pick up an iPhone years after not using one and not skip a beat. On the other hand it leaves me with the feeling of "Wait, this is it?!"

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Ollie you made a good point there at the end, and I saw that with my Galaxy Nexus, my current backup. It's on 4.? and it took me a while to navigate having not really touched it for quite a while, the last time I had to use it, and that's a benefit of having a current OS that's works back several generations. It's possible that there is a closer OS for my GNex, but certainly not current.

I'm also not worried about losing money I spent on apps, as I'll have the Nexus Tabs for certain...
Maybe a new one soon?...

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ollie you made a good point there at the end, and I saw that with my Galaxy Nexus, my current backup. It's on 4.? and it took me a while to navigate having not really touched it for quite a while, the last time I had to use it, and that's a benefit of having a current OS that's works back several generations. It's possible that there is a closer OS for my GNex, but certainly not current.

You could root it using the Nexus Root Toolkit, and install an unofficial 5.1.1 rom on it (CyanogenMod). I have it on my Gnex and it works flawlessly.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
You could root it using the Nexus Root Toolkit, and install an unofficial 5.1.1 rom on it (CyanogenMod). I have it on my Gnex and it works flawlessly.
Thank you, That's good info, I use Wugfresh for all my Nexi...
I'll check on that when I get into flash mode again. I just recently got the 7 and 10 to current, but didn't think about the GNex.
Cyanogen has always been good to use...

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I may have to give CM another try on our two Nexi 7s. We're currently running CleanRom on both and haven't had any problems, but this could be a great opportunity to finally update, (at least on these two devices), to the Lollipops. Thanks for the input guys!