Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Might be time for an FDR JK. Ours run flawlessly. That said, my wife has the newer model and hers occasionally has a problem with screen rotation. Other than that, we love ours as is.....they've been very dependable. Which is one if the reasons we've been hesitant to do anything with them, in terms of updates, for the past year.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should get back in the game & put something on my nexus 7. It's so touch & go lately. Works fine sometimes & lags like crazy others.
Do you have the original 7/12 or second gen 7/13?
My 7/12 was rendered next to dead with Lolli, and now is like you say above, touch and go. Although My 10 was saved by lolli...

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Might be time for an FDR JK. Ours run flawlessly. That said, my wife has the newer model and hers occasionally has a problem with screen rotation. Other than that, we love ours as is.....they've been very dependable. Which is one if the reasons we've been hesitant to do anything with them, in terms of updates, for the past year.
My 7/12 was OK prior to Lolli, my 10 was not, FC all the time and random restarts, none on the 10 since, 7 is my backup/docked clock...
I've done so many FDRs and strip to little apps... didn't help.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Good to know....now I remember hearing Lollipop was a disaster on the original N7. I think we'll stay where we're at. No since in "fixing" what ain't broken.
Oh well.... it was a good thought, for 10 min.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Good to know....now I remember hearing Lollipop was a disaster on the original N7. I think we'll stay where we're at. No since in "fixing" what ain't broken.
Oh well.... it was a good thought, for 10 min.
But, with Wugfresh you can easily flash back to your old ROM if you're not happy with the Cyanogen 5....
Which I'd have done if I knew what I now know...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's a 2012. The wife has the 13 and it's faring much better than my 12. I did at least 2 FDRs after the initial Lollipop update.

Oddly enough, the latest update to Google Webview or whatever seems to have made it respond better now, so I guess I'll wait and see how long that lasts.

kuyawil

Reaction score
If Iphone just brings widgets to the home screens, I'm sold. I have always been an Android fan and anti Apple guy. I refuse to use a Mac when Windows is just so much easier, but for phones and tablets, I may be singing a different tune. I bought an Ipad Air 2 for my wife and I love using it. I hate how the desktop of it looks, but the speed and fluidity are amazing. Would be nice if Samsung could do this as I love a lot of their UI. For example, just the closing of recent apps, much nicer on Touchwiz imo compared to stock droid, unless I haven't figured out how to do a close all. Samsung just always gets so laggy and lame after the first few months, leaving me wanting a new phone. Back when I had my Droid Razr, I felt like I never needed something newer, til I saw something bigger. But now that 6 is probably the biggest, that element removes some drive. Does anyone know if Iphones will implement widgets?
From what I learned after just returning an iPhone 6+ I tried out for two weeks, there is something called iWidgets. It only appears to be for weather though. The implementation looks good. Unfortunately, since I only found out about them on the 13th day of my trial, I didn't get to try it out.

As for my brief experience with the 6+, I was actually pleasantly surprised. Granted there's no customization and widgets, I must admit that what the iPhone did, it did well. It was fast, fluid and for some reason, the apps I used seemed to be better optimized for the IOS platform than their Android counterparts. The integration of Google's suite of apps was seamless too which helped enhance my iPhone experience.

Look, I've been a Droid user since the days of the Moto Razr and Bionic. I've also tried Windows phones (Lumia Icon) then returned to a Droid Turbo. Then my curiosity eventually got to me and that's how I got to try an iPhone for the first time ever. And now, back to the Turbo again. I'm glad to be back on the Android platform but based on my experience, I wouldn't be afraid to try an iPhone again. So if you're curious to try one, do it. You just might like it. If you don't, then return it. You just never know.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
From what I learned after just returning an iPhone 6+ I tried out for two weeks, there is something called iWidgets. It only appears to be for weather though. The implementation looks good. Unfortunately, since I only found out about them on the 13th day of my trial, I didn't get to try it out.

As for my brief experience with the 6+, I was actually pleasantly surprised. Granted there's no customization and widgets, I must admit that what the iPhone did, it did well. It was fast, fluid and for some reason, the apps I used seemed to be better optimized for the IOS platform than their Android counterparts. The integration of Google's suite of apps was seamless too which helped enhance my iPhone experience.

Look, I've been a Droid user since the days of the Moto Razr and Bionic. I've also tried Windows phones (Lumia Icon) then returned to a Droid Turbo. Then my curiosity eventually got to me and that's how I got to try an iPhone for the first time ever. And now, back to the Turbo again. I'm glad to be back on the Android platform but based on my experience, I wouldn't be afraid to try an iPhone again. So if you're curious to try one, do it. You just might like it. If you don't, then return it. You just never know.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

For iWidgets you must jailbreak your device. There are some "widgets" in stock iOS now, but they have been severely limited in functionality and you must place them in your notification bar. Apple knows better than to allow full blown widgets on their homescreen. They wouldn't be able to have a smooth running device otherwisE with their low key hardware.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
For iWidgets you must jailbreak your device. There are some "widgets" in stock iOS now, but they have been severely limited in functionality and you must place them in your notification bar. Apple knows better than to allow full blown widgets on their homescreen. They wouldn't be able to have a smooth running device otherwisE with their low key hardware.

In all honesty, I have never heard of anyone using this feature in order to have the appearance of a 'clean notification tray.' Of course, then I see a thousand notifications for Clash of Clans.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
In all honesty, I have never heard of anyone using this feature in order to have the appearance of a 'clean notification tray.' Of course, then I see a thousand notifications for Clash of Clans.

Maybe they are just warming up iOS users to the inevitable moving of the widgets to the homescreen. I just wish they would bump up the RAM so I didn't have to be so selective as to what I can and cannot do with my jailbreak due to lag.

SuperFelix

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S4
There is no doubt that iPhone is the best mobile device for its quality and design. But sometimes Android can be more convenient than iPhone.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have to throw a flag on the play there, Felix. It's not unquestionably the best in any of those departments anymore. It does a lot of things well, and it has a very good ecosystem for many users, but it's not the best hands-down. That depends entirely on the user and his or her needs.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There is no doubt that iPhone is the best mobile device for its quality and design. But sometimes Android can be more convenient than iPhone.
I'm going to have to throw a flag on the play there, Felix. It's not unquestionably the best in any of those departments anymore. It does a lot of things well, and it has a very good ecosystem for many users, but it's not the best hands-down. That depends entirely on the user and his or her needs.

I think I know where @SuperFelix was going with this. True the iPhone is a superb device, both in quality and design. Some some of that is owed to the highly integrated OS and hardware relationship that iPhone has maintained tight control on. What I mean is, had their platform been as open as Android I think you'd have seen far more of the inadequacies of their devices but simply due to its (deliberately), limited capabilities it performs them very well giving the impression of a superior device.

Another reason is the extreme loyalty and herd-like mentality of IPhone owners in general. If everyone is using it, it must be the best, and so nobody that wants to be a belonger will risk being cast from the herd by complaining. Then you have the third party manufactures who in droves came to iPhone to created all manner of accessories, many of which are still yet unavailable in the Android world. Fortunately the tides are changing and I'm beginning to see a shift where accessories are coming out now often only available in Android and either with iPhone to be announced or even mysteriously void of mention at all.

Both worlds have pushed innovation in the other, and have either learned from or stolen from the other at one point or another however I think we can all agree that Apple has stolen from the Android world far more that the reverse.

Even with the Bendgate and Antennagate issues, the iPhone is still an excellent product, and it's design and build quality have always been high for the functions they are tasked to perform. Since form follows function the form has always been excellent in design through all past versions. Still I think that you can easily argue many of the Android manufacturers have produced incredibly innovative products that are excellent in both build quality and design, in both flagship models (think Galaxy Edge and Note, Motorola Turbo, Google Nexus, HTC One M9), and even in mid -line products (think Moto X). To say one phone is the best is like saying one car is the best. It all depends on what criteria you're evaluating them on and who is doing the evaluating.

Last edited: