iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus - Are Apple Hypocrites?

Is Apple Right?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just love tech, bring it on!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus were just announced and just like rumors have indicated, they've gone with a bigger display, a much bigger display when talking about the 6 Plus.

If we remember though, Apple said they'd never go beyond four inches and yet.. Here we are. So my question for you is, do you look down on Apple for this for going against their word, especially when they were certain 4inches is all we need, or is this just fragmention and what they need to do to survive in this world of 5" phones?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Having a larger display is a necessity, period. People get so caught up in the display size that if Apple didn't change, they surely would've given up more market share than they already have.

And not to pick on a certain group or people, but a larger display is certainly friendlier to those who's vision is bad or vision that is going (I've noticed it with my own parents and their iPhone 5s).

In the end, yes they're hypocrites, but their change was necessary to continue to be relevant. If the iPhone 6 didn't come with a larger screen, giving up market share to Android, or even Windows phones, would've been a sure thing.

And all that being said, I think 4.7" could be the sweet spot. It's a big enough screen without being too overwhelming or hard to use with one hand. As an owner of the s4 (and with fairly large hands), sometimes navigating the phone with one hand can become a bit of a stretch, especially if reaching towards the opposite side of the phone screen.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No because android (particularly the droid line) jabbed at apple for not having a keyboard, external memory, or removable battery and all you have to do is look at the nexus line to see Google doubled back in that quickly.

Apple fans demanded apple heads come off their high horse and give them what they wanted which was a bigger phone. People who have vision problems as well as those looking at the note handling media demanded larger screens for years and with apple fans leaving for larger Samsung devices they took the chance losing more of their fan base had they continued down the path of small phones. So I do not see it as hypocritical just smart business. The crowd have spoken and apple had to listen.
What does surprise me is they are using the secure element to handle mobile payments which Google had to shy away from after the galaxy nexus, now it was mainly because root users (the main purchasers of nexus devices) were causing issues with it. Then again apple do not allow the device to be opened so they would be happy to see jailbreakers brick their secure element as that will dwindle the number of jailbreakers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It does make you wonder if they would have stuck to their guns if Jobs were still around and running things.

tap'n on my S5

OP
BenLand150

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is realizing you messed up, and changing, after making a bold statement hypocrisy or wisdom?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
Love this comment, very good point. I'd say it can be seen as a little of both, personally. Wisdom in the sense that it needed be done to stay relevant, like Dezymond stated. Hypocrisy because they were just so certain they'd never need to do so.

BHuber09

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3
Twitter
@BHuber09
I currently own the Note 3. By far the best device I've ever owned. But.. The IPhone 6+ really has caught my eye.. Kinda wanna try it..

I only say that cause.. And I know I'll catch a ton of crap for this but regardless, I think I'm just getting bored of Android (or Touchwiz without an unlocked boktloader really).

But I do like how they offered a larger sized version. Clearly large phones are here to stay so may as well conform to the ways.

Note'd

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I am not sure hypocrite is the word I would use. As a few have already pointed out, one is allowed to change their perspective or direction based on new information.

Simply put: Apple was not meeting the demands of their consumers.

It was bound to happen.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I currently own the Note 3. By far the best device I've ever owned. But.. The IPhone 6+ really has caught my eye.. Kinda wanna try it..

I only say that cause.. And I know I'll catch a ton of crap for this but regardless, I think I'm just getting bored of Android (or Touchwiz without an unlocked boktloader really).

But I do like how they offered a larger sized version. Clearly large phones are here to stay so may as well conform to the ways.

Note'd

I thought I felt the same, but then I realized I was bored of ugly manufacturer skins than only weighed the OS down and provided little useful features. Apple iOS works very well, but there's so much more fluctuation of functionality with Android. Now the Note 3 and from the looks of it, the Note 4 have the functionality, but TouchWiz is just so ugly IMO.

on the move..

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
+1 grenefroggie It's evolution.. things change and the industry has moved to larger devices.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I thought I felt the same, but then I realized I was bored of ugly manufacturer skins than only weighed the OS down and provided little useful features.
on the move..
Isn't that what a third party launchers are for? Just sayin... it's so easy to fix.

tap'n on my S5

Last edited:

BHuber09

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3
Twitter
@BHuber09
Sorry dont mean to be that guy, but everyone always suggest 3rd party launchers like it magically installs AOSP on your device haha.Yeah you can install them and get benefits but you can't fix the quick tiles, or the battery icons, settings, menu, contacts, dialer, and such. Icon packs are my life but they just aren't enough haha.

Note'd

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Seriously, what else is there? You've got the app drawer and your system settings, both of which are nearly identical on every Android device. Both if which can be configured differently with a different launcher. Then there's Xposed to customize battery icons, menus,contacts etc and third party apps for every other concern. If you think TW is still clunky you obviously haven't used their latest device for any length of time. (and the Note 3 doesn't count as its over a year old) lol I just think people harp on issues that were a problem 2-3 years ago. Sure TW takes up ALOT of space, but it doesn't impact overall performance the way it once did. While I can appreciate different opinions....hey, we like what we like right? And the beauty of Android is that we've got SO many make/manufacturer & even customization options to choose from We aren't limited to one device that, even with major customization, *cough* iPhone *cough*, it's still going to look and perform like every other iPhone.
Back to the OP.....I think iPhone users will love their new features and it's nice to see Apple finally offering them to their users. My brother in law & his wife are picking one up on the 19th, so I look forward to getting up close and personal with one real soon to see just how far they've come.

tap'n on my S5

Last edited:

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Sorry dont mean to be that guy, but everyone always suggest 3rd party launchers like it magically installs AOSP on your device haha.Yeah you can install them and get benefits but you can't fix the quick tiles, or the battery icons, settings, menu, contacts, dialer, and such. Icon packs are my life but they just aren't enough haha.

Note'd

I agree completely, third party launchers are a poor attempt to combat poorly implemented OEM launchers. But, Android is designed to allow it. Carrier's and OEMs do not really care because they already have tons of people buying their product. It attracts customers. It is how Samsung, Motorola, LG et. set themselves apart from the rest. But as a consumer, you have the power of choice. If you want the "latest and greatest" in hardware, then you are likely going to have to deal with Sammy's crappy launcher and bloat. Get a Moto X and give up some features to have a phone that, in my experience, has been flawless.

That's not a fix. If TouchWiz was confined to just the launcher, I wouldn't complain.

on the move..

This is an important point!! It is not just the launcher. The whole Android UI is taking a beating from Samsung. Plus the apps that are added that cannot be remove that must run at all times is rather annoying.

Seriously, what else is there? You've got the app drawer and your system settings, both of which are nearly identical on every Android device. Both if which can be configured differently with a different launcher. Then there's Xposed to customize battery icons, menus,contacts etc and third party apps for every other concern. If you think TW is still clunky you obviously haven't used their latest device for any length of time. (and the Note 3 doesn't count as its over a year old) lol I just think people harp on issues that were a problem 2-3 years ago. Sure TW takes up ALOT of space, but it doesn't impact overall performance the way it once did. While I can appreciate different opinions....hey, we like what we like right? And the beauty of Android is that we've got SO many make/manufacturer & even customization options to choose from We aren't limited to one device that, even with major customization, *cough* iPhone *cough*, it's still going to look and perform like every other iPhone.
Back to the OP.....I think iPhone users will love their new features and it's nice to see Apple finally offering them to their users. My brother in law & his wife are picking one up on the 19th, so I look forward to getting up close and personal with one real soon to see just how far they've come.

tap'n on my S5

This is all a matter of preference. The UI may work smoothly now, but since my GS3, I decided my love for Samsung will be limited to TV's and other house appliances. I like my N5 and Moto X. They both suit my needs. Moto X is close enough to AOSP. Internal storage and no SD card are a killer for some people, and I understand that. The N5 is the best Nexus phone I have used thus far. The amazing WiFi speeds in 5Ghz (N and AC) and the screen size are perfect for me.

When Samsung does something jaw dropping innovative again, I will look in to the phone. Being that no OEM has done that here recently, IMO, I will stick to what I like: a default AOSP experience (rooted with Xposed of coarse, thanks CR6 for mentioning it to me).