iPhone 4 Camera vs Motorola Droid X?

rvguy

Reaction score
Foggy pictures

First I don't think that ALL of his Droid X photos are foggy. What you refer to is a contrast issue, often caused by shooting into the light which disperses in the air and gives you that foggy look. That has nothing to do with the camera.

I still maintain that most of the issues are because most people do not understand the issues related to taking good photos: exposure, focus, proper light and a steady mount. Also, a little post processing with Photoshop almost always improves a photo, no matter where it comes from.

The only real comparison that is going to prove anything is a side by side with identical conditions comparison with other phone cameras.

Reaction score
First I don't think that ALL of his Droid X photos are foggy. What you refer to is a contrast issue, often caused by shooting into the light which disperses in the air and gives you that foggy look. That has nothing to do with the camera.

Sorry, but I know the difference between a fogged over look and a contrast problem. The contrast in those images is spot on. It's a perfect balance between the contrast and the brightness, but the fogged over look is STILL there. Sort of like those "soft" images many photographers put on portraits.

When we used to do it years ago for movies, we'd smear the lens of the camera with vaseline. No idea if they still do that these days, but that is the look your pictures have.

Anyway...

Picture NOT shot "into the light" at all.
Another picture not "shot into the light" at all.
And yet ANOTHER not shot "into the light."

Those are all from his blog. While the pictures are good (with exception the last one, which is blurry in the foreground) overall, they all have that foggy overtone to them. That is definitely NOT contrast related.

I still maintain that most of the issues are because most people do not understand the issues related to taking good photos: exposure, focus, proper light and a steady mount. Also, a little post processing with Photoshop almost always improves a photo, no matter where it comes from.

Every setting in every environment produces similar shots with the camera on this phone. Now, I have seen MANY very nice, sharp and clear pictures taken with it... but with MY phone, it is just NOT as good as others. The camera on the Droid X seems to vary in quality from device to device.

As for post processing... most people don't know how to touch up a picture in Photoshop, so expecting them to do so is just a bad idea.

The only real comparison that is going to prove anything is a side by side with identical conditions comparison with other phone cameras.

There are side-by-side comparison threads on this forum. I've seen the images compared with the iPhone, the original Droid, the HTC Incredible and the HTC EVO. For some, the Droid X pictures, untouched, are great. For others, they just suck in comparison. Like with my camera... NO amount of settings tweaking has made the camera any better.

rvguy

Reaction score
Foggy pictures

I can't argue with you about Droid X cameras being inconsistent in their quality. I only have seen mine. Let's face it this is not a top of the line camera and it will have defects. The amount of pixelation at full pixel display on the screen concerns me. It looks like a jpeg 50%. Further, as been said before, the 8MP is NOT the major measure of quality in the camera.

Not wanting to carry this on too much farther, I did adjust a few of his images in Photoshop and a few needed contrast adjustment and then they looked great. Other than that I didn't see any foggy problems as you describe. My point here is that I often have to do this with images from my expensive Canon DSLRs from time to time. Most generally, when you don't have the best lighting, you will have such problems. This guy shot in some difficult lighting situations, dark backgrounds and highly spot lit bars with pictures of highly contrasty mugs of beer (some of them made me quite thirsty!). I guess my only point is that to really know if the Droid X camera sucks as some of the posters have said, you'd need to compare the exact same situations between competing cameras.

In any case, I'm pleased with my Droid X camera as one that is better than nothing when I've forgot my good cameras or didn't expect to find a photographic situation. it's quite impressive for being one of many features of a pocket phone! If Verizon had an iPhone a year ago, I'd probably have an iPhone. I'd be pleased with that phone camera too. I guess I just don't expect as much as others from my phone camera.

Try exchanging your phone as defective and see if you get better results.

Good Luck

Reaction score
Yeah, I understand that this is a phone and not a camera. As I said originally, I didn't buy it because of the camera. :D

I know the camera is capable of much better than I see with mine and some other people's. But, sadly, mine is a little short on perfect. :)

His pics, though, are still foggy. Even after adjusting their contrast in photoshop. They still looked foggy.

As for exchanging... nah. The camera doesn't bother me a whole lot. I will stick with it since it's pretty solid in every other aspect.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I've compared to my friends iphone and my dx takes nicer pictures most of the time. Plus I have way more customizarion options.

cgrimm9

Reaction score

Sorry, but I know the difference between a fogged over look and a contrast problem. The contrast in those images is spot on. It's a perfect balance between the contrast and the brightness, but the fogged over look is STILL there. Sort of like those "soft" images many photographers put on portraits.

When we used to do it years ago for movies, we'd smear the lens of the camera with vaseline. No idea if they still do that these days, but that is the look your pictures have.

Anyway...

Picture NOT shot "into the light" at all.
Another picture not "shot into the light" at all.
And yet ANOTHER not shot "into the light."

Those are all from his blog. While the pictures are good (with exception the last one, which is blurry in the foreground) overall, they all have that foggy overtone to them. That is definitely NOT contrast related.

Every setting in every environment produces similar shots with the camera on this phone. Now, I have seen MANY very nice, sharp and clear pictures taken with it... but with MY phone, it is just NOT as good as others. The camera on the Droid X seems to vary in quality from device to device.

As for post processing... most people don't know how to touch up a picture in Photoshop, so expecting them to do so is just a bad idea.

There are side-by-side comparison threads on this forum. I've seen the images compared with the iPhone, the original Droid, the HTC Incredible and the HTC EVO. For some, the Droid X pictures, untouched, are great. For others, they just suck in comparison. Like with my camera... NO amount of settings tweaking has made the camera any better.

take a picture outside every picture i take looks like crap but the ones i take outside in the bright sun looks great

abe7333

Reaction score
I think that iphone camera is a lil better quality. I have a droid x but that's just my opinion.

"I know not with what weapons War World III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with stick and stones."-Albert Einstein.

Send from Droid X

alboboy10

Reaction score
I think that iphone camera is a lil better quality. I have a droid x but that's just my opinion.

"I know not with what weapons War World III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with stick and stones."-Albert Einstein.

Send from Droid X

I've compared side by side. Here one example.

Iphone pic.
59265_479688870774_540890774_7298373_2840819_n.jpg

My DX

63289_102998706431200_100001632125997_19916_8190365_n.jpg

alboboy10

Reaction score
60033_102999366431134_100001632125997_19931_5150292_n.jpg

61811_102999403097797_100001632125997_19934_4301227_n.jpg

These are just a few DX shots...they're not GREAT. But I was taking the pictures quick in the normal settings

alboboy10

Reaction score
P.s. Are there any free camera apps that you can take HDR shots with? My friend has one for his iphone and it's REALLY nice.

alboboy10

Reaction score
More examples...This is on my dad's car rim. It's a scratch, but look at what it looks like! (good clarity in my opinion)

60293_104902306240840_100001632125997_36041_1673997_n.jpg

And a picture in the complete dark from miles away of Manhattan from Brooklyn in black and white.

59876_105378779526526_100001632125997_40920_2030437_n.jpg