iPad or Transformer

• iPad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Transformer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nateccnn

Reaction score
A little late chiming in here. I owned the iPad I. Gave it to my girlfriend's son and bought the Transformer Prime the day ity came out. I have access to iPad III at work. I can say that the Prime gives me more options but they all work great. I never liked the locked down state of the iPad (I know you can jail break, but don't have to root the Prime to be able to swap a file). I use Jump on both devices to control PCs and Servers at work...both do a great job. I use a lot of work related apps on both and both do a great job. I do not play games so I can't help you there.

At the end of the day it comes down to things like screen dimensions and personal preferences. The ports on the Prime were the selling factor to me. Being able to drop my camera card into the Prime's slot and view those pics in real time was a big deal. I don't need to have a connection to the internet to use it. I do a lot of semi professional level photography and hate carrying my laptop around for viewing and editing pics on location.

And since I have the Galexy Nexus I don't have to buy apps twice to perform the same functions on my phone and iPad like I used to have to do. I think if I had an iPhone I'd be more inclined to have an iPad III.

Both great devices.

Nate

mikespe

Reaction score
First, I agree with the padfone idea...if it lives up to the hype THAT will be the Apple killer (well at least hurt it a little!). I have a 16gb iPad 2 & an Acer Iconia A500 tablet. I bought the iPad because I am a teacher I we have been doing a lot with them in the classroom. I decided I'd better keep up with the technology. The A500 I am running Flexreaper ICS rom on it. Well my iPad is a $500 TV remote most of the time! This of the App drawer in Android...well that's all iOS really is...one big app drawer. Yes there are a TON more apps for iOS BUT they are also at least TWICE as expensive as they are in the Play Store. PLUS there are NO REFUNDS! You MIGHT be able to get a "curtisy" refund from Apple the first time. But after that you're stuck if you don't like the app! Also, if you're into rooting/Jailbreaking...Android devices get rooted very quickly after they are released. I'm STILL waiting for a jailbreak on my iPad 2 & can only run iOS 5.0 and not 5.1.1 and it's been out for MONTHS. I am jailbroken on 5.0 but there are some apps that you HAVE to have 5.1...not backwards compatibility like in Android.

This padfone looks just amazing and has a good form factor. I've played with the iPad 3 at the store and compared to the iPad 2 the screen isn't THAT much better. Text is a little crisper but not worth upgrading for me.

What you need to do is decide what you will be using the tablet for. If it's just email, document/book reading, Facebook, music/movies, etc then and Android tablet would be better. If there are specific apps you need/want that are only on iOS then get the iPad. For me that last one was the main reason. I needed some anatomy apps that are MUCH better on iOS than Android. Other than that I might play Words with Friends or do some Facebook on it...otherwise I ALWAYS pick up my A500 first!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Haha I was actually pretty mad, I went to bed a little after 3 and woke up once at like 7 wide awake then only fell back asleep till 10. Anyways, I went for the Prime!

View attachment 50035

You will like the prime I think its arguably the best android tablet out and is why IF we do see the padphone I would highly consider buying it. Plus I love to root everything and I know the magic I can unlock with an android tablet and I know the magic we can unlock with a phone so imagine what potential if you were to combine that. Oh ....if google could partner with asus and bring us a nexus or developer "padphone". Or atleast make sure the device remain unlockable. I actually prefer the ipad for production but I would get bored with the ipad in about 45 mins. Android once I get bored I just stroll over to the development community to see what devs have cooked up for it.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
General discussion. This thread is generally more active as well. I like getting to ask people with the same phone as mine as well. I write multiple articles a month here also that don't necessarily have to do with the Nexus also just so us nexus owners have things to talk about other than problems we are experiencing with out phones.

Eh just type the word Galaxy Nexus in your op or a the end of it type the following "Man it would be cool if samsung had set up where we could plug the next galaxy nexus into it to turn it into a "transformer prime like pad phone".

^ I am joking about adding that to the op but soooo sooo much want to see the next nexus have that ability (if you could not tell by my last few posts on this topic :p).

There you go we now have the galaxy nexus being discussed in the thread no need to move it. :biggrin:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
from a household that has both android and apple ( transformer tf101 and ipad3) i grab the ipad for most surfing and other things. screen is amazing . i love both tablets and wont be dissapointed in any of them

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
I'm not an Ipad/Iphone/Ipod guy, but if i was one of them i would find it hard to go to an android tablet. I'm a android guy and i would find it difficult to convince myself to have two different os's for my tablet's. I would not want to buy apps twice, that is why i got the TF201, great looking and preforming tablet IMO.

mikespe

Reaction score
I'm not an Ipad/Iphone/Ipod guy, but if i was one of them i would find it hard to go to an android tablet. I'm a android guy and i would find it difficult to convince myself to have two different os's for my tablet's. I would not want to buy apps twice, that is why i got the TF201, great looking and preforming tablet IMO.

I was the same way but there were some apps Android didn't have that I needed. I needed a good grading program & some really good anatomy apps. Android just didn't have anything decent in those areas. But except for those things I really don't use my iPad much.

spillner

Reaction score
I own a Prime and my friend owns a iPad3. Both are amazing. Their are things I can do on my Prime that can't be done on an iPad very easily though. Examples are: quick file swapping, hdmi out to a tv or monitor (need to buy a $30 attachment with iOS), sharing content through facebook or any other social service other than twitter, connect game controllers via bluetooth and play emulators, buy an app once for all android devices, edit photos from a digital camera (need another special attachment for SD cards). Their are many more but you get the point.

The iPad is really designed for web browsing, media viewing and gaming. The Prime does all of these very well but the maybe not with as much polish as the iPad. But given the limitations of Apple and the extra cost of the device, I would say the Prime or even the Infinity that's coming out soon is the better choice.

One other thing, being an android device also allows you to customize your tablet to the way you like it, even without root. One of nicest thing about owning a Prime or any android device is knowing that its one of a kind, that my device looks nothing like the guys next to me. All iOS devices look the same (except for the wallpaper which is covered by app icons), the only thing an iPad user can do is make folders.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I own an Transformer and have an iPad from work and I find the Transformer to be much better to use. Widgets are just so damn useful and iOS has none unless you root and even then, its minimal. Apps are so equal these days you can't say iOS because of better/polished apps.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I own a Prime and my friend owns a iPad3. Both are amazing. Their are things I can do on my Prime that can't be done on an iPad very easily though. Examples are: quick file swapping, hdmi out to a tv or monitor (need to buy a $30 attachment with iOS), sharing content through facebook or any other social service other than twitter, connect game controllers via bluetooth and play emulators, buy an app once for all android devices, edit photos from a digital camera (need another special attachment for SD cards). Their are many more but you get the point.

The iPad is really designed for web browsing, media viewing and gaming. The Prime does all of these very well but the maybe not with as much polish as the iPad. But given the limitations of Apple and the extra cost of the device, I would say the Prime or even the Infinity that's coming out soon is the better choice.

One other thing, being an android device also allows you to customize your tablet to the way you like it, even without root. One of nicest thing about owning a Prime or any android device is knowing that its one of a kind, that my device looks nothing like the guys next to me. All iOS devices look the same (except for the wallpaper which is covered by app icons), the only thing an iPad user can do is make folders.

You can buy an app once for all iOS devices. They just need to be tied to the same account like Android does. When my wife and I had iPhones, we used the same Apple account and shared our apps with each other. On Android, my GMail account is the primary one that we buy our apps on and I just have it set to not sync e-mail and what not, but apps work fine too.

spillner

Reaction score
johnomaz said:
You can buy an app once for all iOS devices. They just need to be tied to the same account like Android does. When my wife and I had iPhones, we used the same Apple account and shared our apps with each other. On Android, my GMail account is the primary one that we buy our apps on and I just have it set to not sync e-mail and what not, but apps work fine too.

It was my understanding that iPad and iphone/ipod separated their apps from tablet to phone. For example, angry birds for iphone cost $1 while the iPad version cost $2. I could be wrong.

pyro6128

Reaction score
Good choice. Im a prime and nexus owner myself. You wont be disappointed.

Also, since you're a fan of customization, head over to the tprime section of xda and check out the HUBs screen layout tutorial. Def cannot do that with an ipad. Tons of eye candy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

EVIL_CLAW

Reaction score
I went with TF201 and pre ordered in Dec '11. I finally got it at the end of Feb '12. I got the dock a month later. I got this because there wasn't a decent enough Windows tablet out there yet and I had been looking for a tablet for a year and finally bit the bullet. No regrets. I mostly use it docked as with any tablet, holding it after a while becomes a pain. With touchscreen ability and keyboard its the best of both worlds and you don't need a tablet case if its docked.
The next laptop I get will be with a touchscreen interface in a ultramobile form factor.