iPAD ruins Android's chances if you ask me...

hugs17

Reaction score
iphone on verizon

If rumors of the iPhone coming to Verizon pan out, I will consider a switch. Live TV, especially sports is key for me. Seeing ads for live coverage of the NCAA tourney on iPhone made me green with envy. Flash would have allowed me to view it from the NCAA website. Too bad it did not make it in time. I have to say, with a slogan like "Droid does" Google has opened themselves up to the criticisms. If I see the "you need to get the latest flash" screen one more time... other than that I love to support Google, and hope it works out before my phone is obsolete...

M

Matth3w

Considering there is absolutely nothing that says the iPhone will ever come to Verizon for sure, I'd say you will have Flash before you have an iPhone.

Darkseider

Reaction score
If rumors of the iPhone coming to Verizon pan out, I will consider a switch. Live TV, especially sports is key for me. Seeing ads for live coverage of the NCAA tourney on iPhone made me green with envy. Flash would have allowed me to view it from the NCAA website. Too bad it did not make it in time. I have to say, with a slogan like "Droid does" Google has opened themselves up to the criticisms. If I see the "you need to get the latest flash" screen one more time... other than that I love to support Google, and hope it works out before my phone is obsolete...

What makes me laugh is this...

" I love to support Google, and hope it works out before my phone is obsolete".

If any device is obsolete it is the iPhone. Case in point. Apple's idea of adding functionality and features to the iPhone is always a hardware upgrade. Whereas with Android devices like the Droid, Nexus, G1, etc... the hardware can be squeezed by devs ad hackers and functionality added through the OS and Apps. currenty the iPhone is on year 3 and its' 3rd iteration of hardware. Not to mention getting charged for OS updates as well.

Also with the Android market and its' open state you can get apps on there that Apple would never allow. Which will only extend the life of the device in question. Sure you can get the Motorola Shadow or EVO 4G when it comes out to have all the new whizbang niceness but in the end it is still an Android. Same market, different carrier, same OS functions and features.

appdaddy

Reaction score
Ipad...... Sounds like an automated tampon applicator. Android will win out over apple, or at least keep apple looking over their shoulder, but ur right on the hulu / netflix/flash issue. Come on adobe, what're u waiting for!?!?

mossostdrauka

Reaction score
I was all about the Notion Ink.... then I saw this today..... ICD Gemini

I want it NOW!! I will agree that Apple is the company to compete with, but Android is doing a great job at that. Android just MAKES SENSE. Having the ability of the iPhone or iPad at the cost of openness seems like a horrible trade off.

I'll wait for something like the Gemini or Adam before I jump on the slate wagon.

I am a proud member of the Android Army.
Yeah but when are they actually coming out. I notice all the alternative iPad articles I read never include a release date.

Yeah no release date yet on the Gemini.... but to be fair the news only dropped on it today. Apple set the bar for tablets, but did so with there usual limitations. Now it is time for other companies to roll out there tablets and cater to all of us who want more out of the tablet.

KillerBug

Reaction score
Do you really think that Android won't power a decent tablet that overcomes many of the iPad's shortcomings by the autumn lead into the X-mas buying season? Do you really want to live in Steve Job's walled garden where you can't have an app unless Steve Jobs says it's OK? You don't want a removable battery? You want proprietary ports instead of USB? You don't want a camera? An SD card slot?

The iPad is cool and Steve Jobs is a marketing genius but he is also a control freak and I don't want to be at the other end of his leash. I like my Droid and I will like my Android tablet when it is ready. In the mean time I have a netbook for travel and a very nice notebook for home and local use. I can wait.

Could it be done with Android? Sure...I think an OC'd droid is faster than an iPad anyway...and it has multitasking...and it is not locked into Apple or AT&T. Plus, we are getting Flash with 2.2 (supposedly). All we need then is a netflix app (I know it can be done if they only tried).

But here is the thing: A device like the iPad/Slate/etc should have the capabilities of a PC OS. Android comes a lot closer than iPhoneOS...but it still isn't like a PC linux distro. If someone wanted to make a *nux tablet, they would just use Linux...it would be almost as silly to use Android as it is to use iPhoneOS on the iTampon.

That said, Android continues to evolve, at a much faster rate than PC Linux or iPhoneOS...one day it might even be a viable PC OS, or at least a good netbook/tablet OS.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I personally think letting the iPhone come to Verizon would be epically stupid on AT&Moronic's part. The iPhone is really all they have going for them.

Girl - "What? Where's my COOL phone??"
Guy - "On Verizon's network."
Luke Wilson - "Uh...Whoops."

ufearme3

Reaction score
Do you really think that Android won't power a decent tablet that overcomes many of the iPad's shortcomings by the autumn lead into the X-mas buying season? Do you really want to live in Steve Job's walled garden where you can't have an app unless Steve Jobs says it's OK? You don't want a removable battery? You want proprietary ports instead of USB? You don't want a camera? An SD card slot?

The iPad is cool and Steve Jobs is a marketing genius but he is also a control freak and I don't want to be at the other end of his leash. I like my Droid and I will like my Android tablet when it is ready. In the mean time I have a netbook for travel and a very nice notebook for home and local use. I can wait.

Exactly +1

Stop thinking my thoughts! +2

M

Matth3w

I bought a 64GB iPad last night. It's not going to replace the Android, but it is a nice device.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I can't wait til they have the little tablets like they had in Avatar. They look like a sliver of glass and must be using Bluetooth 3.0/4.0 because the guy got in close proximity and then hand-dragged content from one computer to his. Awesome! Get to work Google! :)

M

Matth3w

This iPad is pretty awesome. I've got it tethered to my droid right now typing at the Chicago airport avoiding the 7.99 fee!

Darkseider

Reaction score
This iPad is pretty awesome. I've got it tethered to my droid right now typing at the Chicago airport avoiding the 7.99 fee!

Now the question is. Would the iPad still be pretty awesome if you didn't have the Droid to tether it to? :)

KillerBug

Reaction score
Wow...GPS, Camera, and it makes calls too! If the iPad could do that, at least we could call it an oversized iPhone!

blitzburgh39

Reaction score

THANK YOU!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk