Ipad 2 just killed the Xoom

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I never said apple is the only company with these characteristics but they are most certainly the worst offender. In my opinion Google is a very good company but some others involved aren't particularly great, for instance I'm not big on HTC, and Motorola is sometimes more worried about their wallet than anything. And Microsoft is terrible, they shaft you at every available opportunity but even Microsoft doesnt have the brainwashing effect that apple does. Clearly youre offended by my comments about Apple but its not like I'm pulling this stuff outta my butt. Apple acts they way they act, I don't have anything to do with that, I'm just bringing it to your attention, so don't shoot the messenger.

really Google is a good company?? They are free from the same practices Apple uses? That's not bringing something to our attention, that is pure bias.

I can tell that you don't think Google is good company but I can't understand the rest of what you wrote, can you rephrase your sentence?

No it's not that I think Google is a bad company but (and I mean absolutely no offense) you are being a bit delusional if you don't think Google uses the same business practices as Apple. Google has more than once been sued for trying to play "Big Brother", shoot they would have spy cameras in our bedrooms and bathrooms if they could (ok a little exaggeration) but you get my point. I don't think Apple or Google are bad or good, I think they are big business so take it for what it's worth.

Newton122189

Reaction score
really Google is a good company?? They are free from the same practices Apple uses? That's not bringing something to our attention, that is pure bias.

I can tell that you don't think Google is good company but I can't understand the rest of what you wrote, can you rephrase your sentence?

No it's not that I think Google is a bad company but (and I mean absolutely no offense) you are being a bit delusional if you don't think Google uses the same business practices as Apple. Google has more than once been sued for trying to play "Big Brother", shoot they would have spy cameras in our bedrooms and bathrooms if they could (ok a little exaggeration) but you get my point. I don't think Apple or Google are bad or good, I think they are big business so take it for what it's worth.

I mean, I see what you're saying, and you are right that big business is big business, and they all do things that might not sit well with consumers. However when I think of Google I generally think of them as the ones who are trying to provide the consumer with options whereas Apple is constantly trying to force its customers to do things they way they see fit.

Do you see what I mean?

EDIT: I'd also like to add that competition is good for the consumer and it pushes the market forward. From what I can tell Apples goal is usually to eliminate the competition and it just gives me bad feelings about Apple. I feel like they ultimately want everyone on the planet to own only Apple products. It just makes me feel like its bad for us consumers.

Last edited:

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I mean, I see what you're saying, and you are right that big business is big business, and they all do things that might not sit well with consumers. However when I think of Google I generally think of them as the ones who are trying to provide the consumer with options whereas Apple is constantly trying to force its customers to do things they way they see fit.

Do you see what I mean?

See what you're saying just don't agree with it at all. I see you think that Google is the "good guy" in business. You see what they want to see. Just like you are influenced by the surroundings and media against Apple. I will guarantee Google is no different in business whatsoever than Apple.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

Do you see what I mean?

Yeah I do. But I also think that point has been pushed down peoples throats for so long that people just believe it without ever really doing the research for themselves. Not saying that's you so please don't take it that way but I have seen so many people just come in and bash Apple for "being locked down" or Steve Jobs being a jerk because you know everyone knows him on a personal level apparently. I can admit the iPhone is very locked down and what you buy is what you get but all these new phones coming out with locked and encrypted bootloaders is essentially the same thing. So how do we bypass that, we have to root our phones. The iPhone and iPad can both be jailbroken, obviously they still don't offer the same customization as one of our Android phones but it is essentially the same thing. Also I can say as an owner of PC's and Mac's, there is nothing I haven't been able to do with my Mac that I could with my PC, other than run windows programs obviously but I can dualboot for that. I just think Apple has gotten a bad rap from word of mouth more than actual evidence against them. But I respect anyone's decision to not like Apple, it is after all a matter of personal preference.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Actually apple is taking the approach that this is how we are going to market our product and you can take it or leave it. Apple dont care about you being able to root. Lets do a real comparison.

Apple: Efficient and great hardware, streamline the devices so all devices are on the same os. Secured app store. Ease of use. Great marketing. Boring operating system. All look the same.

Android: Hardware varies based on manufacturer. De fragmentation. Allows for full customization.

After what we seen in the market apple is proven right. They can say they dont have to worry about spyware. Open is just that and also have a dark side. If some one wants to put malware on the market they can. Android is growing at a rapid pace and because of fragmentation they are not able to compare devices to see what problems are in the o.s in an efficient way.
I love android but their are things that they need to improve and as long as its fragmented we will not see it done as efficient as apple is able to do because they are streamlined.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Actually apple is taking the approach that this is how we are going to market our product and you can take it or leave it. Apple dont care about you being able to root. Lets do a real comparison.

Apple: Efficient and great hardware, streamline the devices so all devices are on the same os. Secured app store. Ease of use. Great marketing. Boring operating system. All look the same.

Android: Hardware varies based on manufacturer. De fragmentation. Allows for full customization.

After what we seen in the market apple is proven right. They can say they dont have to worry about spyware. Open is just that and also have a dark side. If some one wants to put malware on the market they can. Android is growing at a rapid pace and because of fragmentation they are not able to compare devices to see what problems are in the o.s in an efficient way.
I love android but their are things that they need to improve and as long as its fragmented we will not see it done as efficient as apple is able to do because they are streamlined.

Exactly. Fragmentation is Android's Achille's Heal and it is a potentially disastrous one.

Newton122189

Reaction score

Do you see what I mean?

Yeah I do. But I also think that point has been pushed down peoples throats for so long that people just believe it without ever really doing the research for themselves. Not saying that's you so please don't take it that way but I have seen so many people just come in and bash Apple for "being locked down" or Steve Jobs being a jerk because you know everyone knows him on a personal level apparently. I can admit the iPhone is very locked down and what you buy is what you get but all these new phones coming out with locked and encrypted bootloaders is essentially the same thing. So how do we bypass that, we have to root our phones. The iPhone and iPad can both be jailbroken, obviously they still don't offer the same customization as one of our Android phones but it is essentially the same thing. Also I can say as an owner of PC's and Mac's, there is nothing I haven't been able to do with my Mac that I could with my PC, other than run windows programs obviously but I can dualboot for that. I just think Apple has gotten a bad rap from word of mouth more than actual evidence against them. But I respect anyone's decision to not like Apple, it is after all a matter of personal preference.

First off I gotta say, I got my first ever Mac (MacBook Pro 15" w/ Core i7) about 6 months ago and I love it to death. I'll never own another Windows machine because I love the operating system and the hardware, but I do dual boot Windows 7 just because sometimes its necessary.

I see what you're saying about the bootloaders and what not, but thats usually not Google's doing. As a matter of fact, the reason that the original Droid and the XOOM have unencrypted bootloaders is because Google was directly involved.

I just feel like Apple doesn't appreciate competition. They would much prefer that everyone did things their way and everything go according to their plan.

I just think they are authoritarian.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

Do you see what I mean?

First off I gotta say, I got my first ever Mac (MacBook Pro 15" w/ Core i7) about 6 months ago and I love it to death. I'll never own another Windows machine because I love the operating system and the hardware, but I do dual boot Windows 7 just because sometimes its necessary.

I see what you're saying about the bootloaders and what not, but thats usually not Google's doing. As a matter of fact, the reason that the original Droid and the XOOM have unencrypted bootloaders is because Google was directly involved.

I just feel like Apple doesn't appreciate competition. They would much prefer that everyone did things their way and everything go according to their plan.

True, well I can respect that. By the way, I don't dislike Google in the slightest. I am still a proud owner of my Droid 1 a true Google device. I just used them to illustrate one of my points. I also don't dislike Apple. I seem to like both sides of the coin, call it an identity crisis if you will, haha. :)

Reaction score
all of these tablets are so over priced for what you get, i am currently typing on a hp tm2 which is a full fledged windows 7 laptop that converts into a 12.1" capacitive touch screened tablet with a core i3 4 gb's of ram and the ability to do what ever i want to do. all for around $800. just had to get that in here to show some prospective.

People have always complained about how locked down apple devices are but phrase their stability. People phrase the windows and android systems because of how open they are but complain about how they are not as stable as apple devices. There is no happy medium unless you own a device using an O.S. that you designed and works with only that device and you are the only one with that O.S. The reason why the IOS is so stable is because its always under the watchful eye of apple. Apple is also the only ones using IOS and so the OS only has to work with their products. When you have windows or android you have so many choices in phones and so much different hardware that it has to support all of that. Android could be as smooth as IOS and have just as many "safe" apps but then we would only have the nexus one and the nexes s and we would also have an app market that would be more or less non existent because no one would have the phone.

Basically what this little rant was about was to show people that you can pick stability or choices. Apple or everything else.

Newton122189

Reaction score

True, well I can respect that. By the way, I don't dislike Google in the slightest. I am still a proud owner of my Droid 1 a true Google device. I just used them to illustrate one of my points. I also don't dislike Apple. I seem to like both sides of the coin, call it an identity crisis if you will, haha. :)

I like Apple's products, I just don't like their business practices. And I also dislike how many of their customers have the "I'm better than you" attitude.

Check out my desktop, it's irony at its best.

bL33d

Reaction score
I agree I have a iPad and love it main reason is the apps plain and simple they are a level above. The games are so polished it's insane and jail breaking takes 2 min and Cydia bring it to the next level.

Ipad2 looks good not sure it's worth selling my iPad to upgrade as I don't need or want FaceTime but the gyroscope would be nice.

Newton122189

Reaction score
I agree I have a iPad and love it main reason is the apps plain and simple they are a level above. The games are so polished it's insane and jail breaking takes 2 min and Cydia bring it to the next level.

Ipad2 looks good not sure it's worth selling my iPad to upgrade as I don't need or want FaceTime but the gyroscope would be nice.

Its rumored that the iPad 3 could come this September so unless you REALLY need to upgrade I would hold out. Plus, by then there should be WAY more tablets on the market so you will have many more options.

Status
Not open for further replies.