Ipad 2 just killed the Xoom

Discussion in 'Motorola Xoom' started by patfactorx, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elysian

Elysian Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If the GPU on the iPad 2 is really capable of 9x the performance of the 535 in the original iPad then it's going to be roughly 2x as powerful as the Tegra 2 GPU, Tegra 2 puts out 90m triangles/sec, the original iPad put out 20 I believe.

2. atlharry

atlharry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well that'll be interesting to see if it really measures up to that.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

3. iNfAMOUS702

iNfAMOUS702 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    An old army buddy of mine works for alienware..he told me that he would build me a super computer that's cheaper than tha price of a XOOM....looks like I wont be getting a tablet at all lol

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

4. Elysian

Elysian Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, they didn't say 9x performance in what regards, if they're just talking framerate on actual games or triangle throughput or what but rumor is it's a PowerVR 543 gpu which is powerful as hell, to say the least.

5. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    It's not nonsense Hook. it's a good thing. They did something brilliant. I'm not knocking them or their consumer base at all. Heck look what they did with the iPad. That was years old technology and they pimped that thing like nobody's business.

I for one think they are the best at marketing. They make a quality product no doubt but so do a lot of the other manufacturers. I'm not knocking them because they are the best at what they do. The iPad proved that to me.......

6. patfactorx

patfactorx Member

Ratings:
    +1
    most ppl dont get to use the tablet bef4 they buy it. At least not in any serious way. Because of that, brand matters and that's where big corporations like Apple win.

I think Android can only win if they get more marketing muscle and get a LOT more competitive on tablet pricing. Android won phones cuz of free phones and $100 phones.

7. ZBoater

ZBoater Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've owned and used an iPad since launch day. I bought a Xoom last night and have been using it nonstop today.

The Xoom hardware is impressive, but the iPad 2 sure sounds sweet. At the end of the day I have a couple hundred apps that I can't replace. Sure, some ate games like Tower Madness, but things like Goodreader, Todo, Gusto, and others I am mising something fierce. When (not if) Android catches up it will be truly a contender, but right now I am seriously considering paying the restocking fee and getting the iPad 2.

But then I remember the lack of access to the file system, no widgets, no customization, and all the reasons I ditched the iPhone for the Droid, and I wonder...

8. patmw123

patmw123 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    I love my nook color!

9. xxraffyxx

xxraffyxx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Motorola should of made and released a 16gb wifi model and released it first.

10. fish1552

fish1552 Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I would be curious as to how you can figure this.

Others: Fact is, I've already heard rumors of the Xoom pricing drop mid-summer or so? This was a week or so ago?

With the price breakdown being about the same for the components, do you really think that Apple may not have just undercut Motorola for the sake of improving their potential sales? And do you really expect Motorola to just sit by and let it keep happening? Give it more than 24 hours PRE-launch to pan out before declaring something dead that is by it's design, a LOT more flexible than Apple products.

11. Newton122189

Newton122189 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When it comes to price people really need to stop comparing the 16GB WiFi iPad to the 32GB 3G/4G XOOM the comparable price difference is $70 people NOT $300.

I'd also like to add that Apple simply made the iPad 2 faster and gave it cameras. I'm no rocket scientist but those aren't really magnificent upgrades by any means. Oh and its thinner now too, which really doesn't do anything for portability or ease of use.

If you prefer the iPad over the XOOM then more power to you, but don't act like its some holy device, some gift from God to mankind. Its just another option in the tablet market, one that from a technical specifications standpoint is going to outdated on its release date.

12. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I base it on history. No individual android product has ever outsold an ios product. When one does, then I'll be less inclined to make sweeping generalizations like this. The XOOM is going to be vastly outsold by the iPad2, in fact like i mentioned, the iPad2 will probably outsell several different android tablets...combined.

No one cares about flexibility, customization, rooting, overclocking etc. I dont know why people tout this as an android selling point. Android is not as successful as it is because everyone who's buying it can't wait to get home and "root and ROM this thing!!"...it's selling because it's being sold as a viable alternative to ios. When people bring it home, they realize that it is a viable alternative and continue to buy it. Even then, you're not getting multi-millions of people rooting their android phones. The average (90%+) of android users don't even know what rooting is, let alone ROM-ing and overclocking.

Apple is the company to beat (right now) not Google. Everyone strives to be better then the iPhone, or the iPad. No one announces a new phone as the "Droid Incredible killer" or a new tablet as "The XOOM killer". 4 years after it's release, people are still comparing every smartphone that is released to the iPhone.

When history proves me wrong, that's when I'll stop. Right now, history is on my side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.