iOS App Store Number One in Revenue With Amazon Closing In

Edognights

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
flurryreport.png

Flurry Analytics has released a new report showing that, in terms of revenue, Apple's App store is number one and closely followed by Amazon's App store, while Google's Play Market landed in last place. The report states that for every $1.00 in revenue that Apple makes from it's App store, $0.89 is spent at Amazon's App store, and $0.23 in Google's Play Market. The data was gathered between mid January 2012 and the end of February from about 11 million active daily users. It's no surprise that Apple's App store is number one, but what is surprising is how fast Amazon has managed to grow their app store given its relatively small life span.

Something to keep in mind, the data collected for this study was only from in-app purchases and did not include apps that were purchased or ad-supported apps, both of which are the majority on Google's Play Market.

Source: Engadget

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I've found myself buying more apps from Google Play now. I don't think I've ever bought from Amazon. I don't like the update interface. If you have 10 updates, it takes forever. There is no autoupdate and you can't even start the download for all of them at once. The app gets crazy slow and all janky. I prefer the autoupdate featuer of Google play and have probably spent about $20 since January on apps.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I spent $10 in the last 2 weeks

MIUI 2012.3.23

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have noticed in some cases the amazon app store is many versions behind the current version so I just use google play.

Yeah, I spent over $10 to fill up my gas tank the other day. ;)

I spend $86 to fill up my truck on Wednesday. :(

MIUI 2012.3.23

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is crazy! How could the Android Market...errrr Google Play be so far behind revenue???? I mean, it's the main Market app for Android.

jayman350

Reaction score
This is crazy! How could the Android Market...errrr Google Play be so far behind revenue???? I mean, it's the main Market app for Android.

re-read the last paragraph of the OP, these numbers are for in-app purchases only. They make no reference to apps that you pay for. This is a very skewed report that doesn't really mean anything, except for the fact that people are using in-app purchases more for iOS and Amazon purchases than the Google Play Store.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Misleadingly-named statistics like this need to be shot in the foot...After reading the last paragraph I threw everything out the window and stopped caring about the article.

The only apps I really see (or see most often for it to count) for android that have in-app purchases are MMORPGs and other online games, where the price of their in game currency is mostly too ridiculous for many of the players.

52brandon

Reaction score
lol, I don't see how it's necessarily bad for Android/Google. Just because of how much can be had for free on Android, it's comparing apples to oranges

Detonation

Reaction score
This is a rather misleading post. At least draw more attention to the last line of the OP

Something to keep in mind, the data collected for this study was only from in-app purchases and did not include apps that were purchased or ad-supported apps, both of which are the majority on Google's Play Market.