Invoking SU-like first run market updates.

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Tsusai, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Tsusai

Tsusai Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Noticed something interesting today when I decided to wipe my phone and reload Sapphire. As l sign in (i think, and with any rom btw) for the first time, the Droid instantly starts downloading updated the newer updated google apps (mail, maps, search, voice) successfully; Apps which if updated normally cause headaches throughout rom communities, as the user has to do something with a terminal or w/e to get the old ones off.

Question is, is there a way to trick the system to run the market place updates at such a high system level as to harness this power and solve the issue once and for all?

2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12

I have a rooted Droid so my experiences may be different that yours.

3. Tsusai

Tsusai Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Right i know about how normal apps will update, I'm talking about the recent problematic ones (Gmail, Google Search).

Examples
    Cyanogen: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/koush/82522-gmail-app-update.html
    Sapphire: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/cvpcs/82434-official-gmail-update-market-wont-install.html

People have problems with these, so they have to nuke the existing via root explorer, terminal, etc. However they update just fine upon the first boot/sync, where any system apps on the market are instantly updated without user interaction. That is what I'm curious about initializing.

4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the clarification! I've been running Sapphire for several months and I've not experienced any issue with Gmail.

Mike