Invisible Shield: Love it or Leave it?

Discussion in 'Droid Incredible Accessories' started by RodgerRodger, Aug 8, 2010.

1. WhosToBlame

WhosToBlame Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ZAGG has been great to me in the past. Nothing ever lifted up. I had the full body on the Motorola Droid and only took off the back pieces because i didn't like the feel of it around the phone. I left the screen till I had to replace my phone thru Verizon. I did not put it back on because I was eying the Droid X and Incredible.

I am currently using it on my Incredible for the screen only and will be getting it for the Droid X for my wife.

Also, a side note, my friend bought ZAGG invisible shield after I told him how awesome it is and he managed to scratch his by simply running his key across the shield. He did get it replaced for free (we install our own) from the mall kiosk but never put it back on once he found out our screens are scratch resistant.

#13 WhosToBlame, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. RodgerRodger

RodgerRodger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bye Bye Zagg, Hello Steinheil!

I took my zagg off today to return it and was grossed out to see tons of grime and blotchy residue left behind underneath the protector. It was collecting nasty residue and lint around the edges of the phone (after only a month of use) and was definitely a victim of orange peel (where the screen is ripply and dimpled like the peel of an orange). It was also hard to move my finger across the screen because of the sticky surface. By now I'm a pro at applying Zaggs, so I know it's not my installation.

-----------------------------------------

In it's place, I installed the SPG Steinheil crystal clear screen protector that I ordered through Amazon. Installing it was pretty frustrating; it is a lint magnet, but at least it's easy to lift up and clean with tape. And it is definitely a bonus not having to use adhesive or liquids like the Zagg, which really cut down my visibility on the phone and left weird residues once removed.

Around my optical track ball, the Steinheil cover would not stick and left bubbles all the way around no matter how frantically I tried to smooth them out with the squeegee card. I called Seidio and got a nervous sounding guy that didn't want anything to do with me and said I'd have to talk to Amazon about it.

I did, and Amazon was awesome--I got a really helpful customer service rep (named Lorie!) who gave me a refund and is sending a return slip in the mail. She said to order another one (of the same product) to see if it is any better while they look into the issue with the first one. If my second order is also defective, they will give me another refund and stop carrying the product if they find all the cases have the same issue.

Hopefully that problem was just with the individual cover I got, because I really like the Steinheil so far (aside from the bubbles around the optical ball, of course). The texture is so smooth and feels almost exactly like the unprotected screen of the phone. No more sticking or dragging fingers! The visibility is incredible! I have to turn the brightness down because it is so crystal clear (like the name says!) The dimensions are cut perfectly for the phone as well, keeping its shape throughout installation and use because of its rigidity. This was in sharp contrast to the Zagg which didn't fit my phone and warped in different areas with use. Because it uses static cling to adhere to the screen, the cover is easy to adjust, clean, and reuse. Other options that use liquids and adhesives are ruined if dust or fingerprints get on the sticky side.

So far it has been scratch resistant and easy to clean, with the price of $9 (single) to $11 (double) making it a very attractive option. I recommend the two pack just in case, because it is only a few more dollars than the single (and is much cheaper than buying two separately down the line in case one gets worn or scratched).

Once the bubbling around my optical ball is figured out, I would not hesitate to give this product a 5/5 stars so far. I will keep updating with longer use.

3. raider1970

raider1970 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had mine on for 5 months now and have never had any problems with it. I have dropped my Droid 3 times. There are a few scratches around the screen, but nothing on the screen itself.

4. spiralskygilligan

Ratings:
    +0
    Other then the invisasheild what screen protectors do you use,for the Droid Incredible.? I am looking for the anti-glare screen protectors ,not the ones that have the area for the little scroll ball just the screen protector in itself.I am using this product on a Droid Moto and it works like magic ....so much better then any others that I have used. Verizon sells 3 of them for $16 and I think this is crazy so if someone could tell me a better place and price.
    Thank you so much!

5. RodgerRodger

RodgerRodger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    update on SPG Steinheil Crystal Clear screen protector:

Yup, my new screen protector has unfixable bubbles around the optical ball. Is anyone else having this problem? I am getting dissappointed in Steinheil just like Zagg...

It is still very clear and smooth with great visibility, but I dropped the phone on the ground once and now have several deep scratches on the protector which do affect visibility, although it is minor.

Overall, its still a great product but the bubbles that WILL NOT go away and the fact that it can get deeply scratched bothers me. I wish there were better products out there for the money.

6. Gadawgs29

Gadawgs29 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They are garbage. I had one on my Moto Devour it made the touch pad even harder to recognize me. Also when used with a case it peeled up way to easy.

If ur gonna get any type of protector go with ones by SPG Steinheil they rock and are super thin.

7. RodgerRodger

RodgerRodger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Gadawgs29: thats what i've been using lately, but none of them adhere around my optical ball (i've tried 4 so far)

do your covers have this issue? I love my steinheil cover but the huge bubble where none of them adhere is driving me crazy

8. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +49
    I got one last November and had it on for maybe 20 seconds. While the installation went well, I was unhappy with the amount of lint under it (despite cleaning the screen several times with the supplied cleaner). When it flipped out of my hand onto the floor I gave up.

I was unable to register the Invisible Shield because when I tried, the Droid wasn't there. While I probably would've liked it, I keep my phone in a holster and am careful using it.

9. canooten

canooten New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've come not to like Zagg covers as well. When newly installed, they are pretty good, but if you pocket your phone, they will peel and collect tons of lint.
    The warranty is OK, but I'd rather not have to replace my cover every few months.

The only Zagg cover that I currently still use is on my camera LCD. It's got bubbles under it that never worked themselves out (as they should have), but I leave it because it's not that huge a deal on a camera.

I had my Incredible screen cover on for maybe 2 days....my screen kept wigging out due to the weight of the cover (I'm guessing) so I tossed it in the trash (goodbye $20....should have rolled a smoke with the bill).

10. SilverMystery

SilverMystery New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i got the invisible shield on my motorola droid that i had before i upgraded to the incredible. i had that droid for a full year and i had the invisible shield put on for me at a kiosk within a week of purchasing the phone.
    throughout the entire year i had it, it NEVER peeled at any corners, rippled, moved, or stretched. sometimes it went through some tough conditions like high heat in my car or humidity, and sometimes while doing my hair in the bathroom i got hairspray all over it which is really hard to get off...but no matter what i got on it, all i had to do was take a little square alchohol sterilizing wipe and clean it off and it would be as good as sparkling new. i even kept it in my bag with my keys and junk and it performed perfectly as far as advertised protection. i am 100% satisfied with this screen protector and am waiting for my new one to arrive any day for my incredible. i do not work for zagg and i highly recommend this product.

11. cybertec69

cybertec69 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +318
    My Zagg Shield is doing great on both my Incredible and Ipod touch, the touch has had it for almost two years and still looks new, maybe you guys have no clue how to install it, there is no reason for dust and dirt to be under the shield or under the edges, follow the instructions real slow, make sure you are in a DUST FREE environment, make sure your greasy fingers are cleaned with soap and dried with a nice clean fresh towel "you should have on of those around the house I hope".
    First clean your screen with the cloth that was supplied with the shield, make sure there is no lint or dust spots on the screen "yes you can see them", if there is clean it again, spray your fingers and the screen with the solution, now peel off one corner"the top side of the phone section of the shield" of the shield from the backing, make sure you peel it towards the other side, peel it downwards about half an inch, now line it up at the top, once lined up get a credit card or the zagg card and start sliding it accross the shield "make sure the shield is also wet on the top side", as you slide the card downwards and setting the shield, you will be also releasing the remaining shield from its backing without getting your greassy fingers all over it "you need a steady hand, and lots of patience", once shield is installed, keep wetting the top while you use the credit card or zagg card and start pusshing out the liquid that is under the screen, yes it will take some time, as I said before patience is the key.

12. jake427

jake427 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone ever herd of display (screen) protectors causing response problems to the phone, in some cases not immediately but later down the road. The reason I'm writing this is that I called Motorola tech support for a totally different reason, it was to ask if a Verizon's magnetic pouch closure can cause a problem to the phone. The response was that magnets can cause problems unless it's well imbedded in the pouch, however, he did asked me if I use a display protector, I said I do, he said that a display protector is absolutely not recommended because it can cause problems to the phone, slow responses and possibly others in the future. Has anyone anything to add to this because I'm now somewhat confused.

Murray :droideris:

Search tags for this page
best buy invisible shield replacement
can invisibleshield be reused
clean invisible shield sticky side
how to clean invisible shield sticky side
how to get hairspray off screen protector

invisible shield replacement

invisibleshield dirty
return zagg to best buy
zagg invisible shield reusable

zagg replacement policy