Invisible Shield: Love it or Leave it?

RodgerRodger

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I got the invisible shield for my phone because it was the only cover I could get my hands on (rather than waiting 2 weeks for something better to come by mail, by which time my screen would undoubtedly be scratched), and the only screen protection the verizon morons offered only covered the touch screen, not the phone's entire face....

SO i ran to best buy to get myself some protection. I rationalized the purchase because it was scratch proof, had a lifetime warranty, so on and so forth.

After over a month of use, I am left feeling pretty bummed out though. It continues to ripple, has morphed to a strange size where it hangs over on some corners and falls short on others (no, I did not install it wrong. it has stretched with use). The most frustrating thing so far has been its lack of adhesion to the screen, rendering 90% of the worthwhile cases out there useless, because as many of them are one-piece wrap around models, they peel the shield up at the edges. *This is also making my decision to purchase and extended battery and therefore a case for the new shape much more difficult, because the 3500 mah seidio case sounds like it will peel my shield off again!

So I'm thinking it's time to get rid of this stupid shield.

But before I do anything rash, does anyone have anything positive to say about invisible shield? Do you think there is any hope for me of returning it and getting my money back? Or is there some loophole they will find and blame everything on me and not the lame-ness of their overrated product?

Please help! I'll be your best friend and love you long time.

Haley
dancedroid

richardsugg

Reaction score
I've used it for about three weeks. I haven't had any problems with it and I forget it's even there. Sorry to hear yours isn't going so well. Maybe you got a lemon? Perhaps zagg would replace it?

H3Dude

Reaction score
I took mine to the mall invisible shield kiosk and they replaced it for me under the lifetime warranty. They charged me 5 bucks to put it on again though. Was worth it to me since it cost me 20 to start with.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Used one on a Storm I had....Never again....Un-needed IMHO

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Used one on a Storm I had....Never again....Un-needed IMHO

Same except for my original ipod touch. Started collecting dirt at the corners and was developing a yellowish tinge.

Sent from my Tapatalk using Droid

OP
RodgerRodger

RodgerRodger

Reaction score
yeah, mine's collecting lint all around the edges too. i still have a week to return it to best buy, so hopefully i can get a new case online before i have to take this shield off

ZAGGchick

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am ZAGGchick from ZAGG. In reading this forum, it looks like some of you need assistance from me. ZAGG has a Lifetime Replacement on each and every invisibleSHIELD that is sold, no matter where you bought it.

If you purchased your invisibleSHIELD from ZAGG.com you can go to the following link to request your replacement.

ZAGG | Product Replacement Process

If you purchased from a reseller you can still get the invisibleSHIELD replacement. You will just need to register and receive an offsite registration number. You can do that at this link:

ZAGG | Product Registration Process

While protecting your gadget, it is normal that the invisibleSHIELD will become dirty and sometimes damaged. The original post in this thread sounds like a faulty invisibleSHIELD to me. I have not heard of the invisibleSHIELD stretching during use. Please don't hesitate to use the Lifetime Replacement Program. It is for instances like many described above.

If you have any questions that you need answered by a ZAGG representative please do not hesitate to ask me. I promise to give you my honest opinion and help you out anyway I can.

ZAGGchick
[email protected]

schoon

Reaction score
Hi ZAGGChick, I am testing out your company's replacement policy today as my 1 month old Zagg screen is really starting to look ragged on the edges. The upper and lower left corners are coming up and won't stay back down. I feel as if I did a good job of installing it and waited the requisite day after I installed so I maybe it was just defective. We'll see how the next one goes for me. Thanks for posting here and helping out your customers.

Craiger22

Reaction score
Hi ZAGGChick, I am testing out your company's replacement policy today as my 1 month old Zagg screen is really starting to look ragged on the edges. The upper and lower left corners are coming up and won't stay back down. I feel as if I did a good job of installing it and waited the requisite day after I installed so I maybe it was just defective. We'll see how the next one goes for me. Thanks for posting here and helping out your customers.

Good luck. But I would imagine that they will blame it on the installation and not honor the policy. I love my zagg, but have had to replace one that started getting bubbles for no reason.

ZAGGchick

Reaction score
You should have no problems getting your replacement. You can do it online with the link below or you can call customer service and somebody would be happy to assist you. Please keep me posted if you have any problems!

Here is the link again:

ZAGG | Product Replacement Process

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
Zagg screen protectors suck compared to the competition. Go with Steinheil or Boxwave.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

missrachel

Reaction score
The ZAGG Invisibile Shield comes with a lifetime warranty, so if it needs to be replaced, they will replace it. I had mine on for about 6 months and it was fine (a little bubbling in one area, but nothing major) but I took it off after I started noticing the dirt, lint, and grime that started collecting by the earpiece, and at the edges. YUCK! I took it off and haven't put it back on since. The phone is a lot smoother to touch which I like. The only downside is that fingerprints are a LOT worse without the invisible shield. But if you have a case on your phone, you may not even need the invisible shield to protect from scratches (unless you're really tough on your Droid!)

Just my $.02... there are pros and cons, I think it depends on how tough you are on your phone whether you need it or not. I'd say for the average Droid owner with a case... Leave it.

WhosToBlame

Reaction score
ZAGG has been great to me in the past. Nothing ever lifted up. I had the full body on the Motorola Droid and only took off the back pieces because i didn't like the feel of it around the phone. I left the screen till I had to replace my phone thru Verizon. I did not put it back on because I was eying the Droid X and Incredible.

I am currently using it on my Incredible for the screen only and will be getting it for the Droid X for my wife.

Also, a side note, my friend bought ZAGG invisible shield after I told him how awesome it is and he managed to scratch his by simply running his key across the shield. He did get it replaced for free (we install our own) from the mall kiosk but never put it back on once he found out our screens are scratch resistant.

Last edited:
OP
RodgerRodger

RodgerRodger

Reaction score
Bye Bye Zagg, Hello Steinheil!

I took my zagg off today to return it and was grossed out to see tons of grime and blotchy residue left behind underneath the protector. It was collecting nasty residue and lint around the edges of the phone (after only a month of use) and was definitely a victim of orange peel (where the screen is ripply and dimpled like the peel of an orange). It was also hard to move my finger across the screen because of the sticky surface. By now I'm a pro at applying Zaggs, so I know it's not my installation.

-----------------------------------------

In it's place, I installed the SPG Steinheil crystal clear screen protector that I ordered through Amazon. Installing it was pretty frustrating; it is a lint magnet, but at least it's easy to lift up and clean with tape. And it is definitely a bonus not having to use adhesive or liquids like the Zagg, which really cut down my visibility on the phone and left weird residues once removed.

Around my optical track ball, the Steinheil cover would not stick and left bubbles all the way around no matter how frantically I tried to smooth them out with the squeegee card. I called Seidio and got a nervous sounding guy that didn't want anything to do with me and said I'd have to talk to Amazon about it.

I did, and Amazon was awesome--I got a really helpful customer service rep (named Lorie!) who gave me a refund and is sending a return slip in the mail. She said to order another one (of the same product) to see if it is any better while they look into the issue with the first one. If my second order is also defective, they will give me another refund and stop carrying the product if they find all the cases have the same issue.

Hopefully that problem was just with the individual cover I got, because I really like the Steinheil so far (aside from the bubbles around the optical ball, of course). The texture is so smooth and feels almost exactly like the unprotected screen of the phone. No more sticking or dragging fingers! The visibility is incredible! I have to turn the brightness down because it is so crystal clear (like the name says!) The dimensions are cut perfectly for the phone as well, keeping its shape throughout installation and use because of its rigidity. This was in sharp contrast to the Zagg which didn't fit my phone and warped in different areas with use. Because it uses static cling to adhere to the screen, the cover is easy to adjust, clean, and reuse. Other options that use liquids and adhesives are ruined if dust or fingerprints get on the sticky side.

So far it has been scratch resistant and easy to clean, with the price of $9 (single) to $11 (double) making it a very attractive option. I recommend the two pack just in case, because it is only a few more dollars than the single (and is much cheaper than buying two separately down the line in case one gets worn or scratched).

Once the bubbling around my optical ball is figured out, I would not hesitate to give this product a 5/5 stars so far. I will keep updating with longer use.

raider1970

Reaction score
I have had mine on for 5 months now and have never had any problems with it. I have dropped my Droid 3 times. There are a few scratches around the screen, but nothing on the screen itself.