Invalid Credentials signing into Gmail on my Droid RAZR

MaximusMax

Reaction score
Ok, I found it. This is what the other post said "I restarted the phone in safe mode and found that I was able to delete all the email accounts and recreate them. After I finished all the mail started pouring in. Then I restarted the phone normally."

So, has anyone else tried this?

DebbieL

Reaction score
If I use the gmail app, then I lose the ability to email using distribution lists. Of course, emails aren't coming in on the @ app, so I can't use that at all. I'm so easily confused and this is making me crazy. Also, I notice that all your posts seem to be in June. I just got my Droid 4 a couple weeks ago and it worked perfectly for email until August 12th. I'm so confused...first smartphone and I'm struggling to understand what's happening here.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Hi DebbieL, welcome to DF! You probably have already tried to restart your phone. That would be the first quick thing to try. The next thing to try would be to go into settings, then apps, to all apps, find your gmail email app and clear cache. Don't worry if you don't have success. We will keep trying things until we figure it out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

DebbieL

Reaction score
Thanks for your encouragement. I have restarted the phone several times and I have already cleared the cache in the gmail app. Now I'm getting a Connection Error message that tells me I've entered an incorrect username or password, visit settings to correct...been there, done that several times...and it says NO Service temporarily unavailable.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Typically you will get a no internet connection error if you are not on Wi-Fi or data. I can pretty much guess that is not the case because I have gotten those errors myself while I looked at the phone in dismay. The same with the invalid credentials error and wrong password error, etc. (Hello, I think I know my password... very frustrating).

I am assuming you are using the stock email app that came with the phone. If so, go into that app in settings, uninstall updates. Go back to your email app to see if it is working. If not,
-remove your gmail account. May be in email settings under Gmail sync, change sync settings or remove account. Click on your gmail, go to menu, remove account.
-Go to play store. You will have to sign in using your gmail (existing account), check your drop down notification for "permission requested" orange triangle alert. Tap on that to allow access. Go back to play sure and Install the email updates.
-Go to accounts and sync in settings. Tap on your gmail to set up your sync.
-Go back to your gmail to see how it works.

If this isn't successful then you may have to do a factory data reset. But don't do that until you make sure you have everything backed up that you want to save. As a guide for ideas on backing up and restoring before doing an fdr see: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-help/219101-getting-most-success-upgrading-ics-gb.html

DebbieL

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all your help! I finally did the factory reset and so far it all seems to be working fine. I'll be back here if things go awry, but I'm thinking it's good now. Have a great weekend!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
That is super Debbie. I am so glad you got it working. Even though it took an fdr, you will be happy in the long run because your phone will act like new. You also have a great weekend... with a working phone!

JRSC

Reaction score
I had the same problem this morning after powering off and back on. I remembered installing FoxFi yesterday so I uninstalled and powered off and on again and I am now receiving email again. Hope this helps.

PrTBrownT

Reaction score
Just an FYI who may have this problem in the future. Instead of resetting your phones or deleting email accounts, etc., you can check your gmail account online (via a browser) and make sure 2-step verification is turned off first. I didnt have the problem until I turned this on from my browser, and it wasnt until I turned it off that I was able to log in to one of my gmail accounts (the others that didnt have 2-step verification worked fine).