"Invalid Battery"??

poker_vol

Reaction score
Good morning, all. I went to charge my 32gb Droid Razr this morning when I came into the office and noticed the battery icon has a ? in it and when I plug in the charger I get the following message:

"Invalid Battery

Your device battery is invalid and cannot be charged.

Replace the battery with an original Motorola battery."

Nothing changed form one day to the next. ANyone else had this issue, any solutions?

Thanks.

Andy

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good morning, all. I went to charge my 32gb Droid Razr this morning when I came into the office and noticed the battery icon has a ? in it and when I plug in the charger I get the following message:

"Invalid Battery

Nothing changed form one day to the next. ANyone else had this issue, any solutions?

Thanks.

Andy

Sounds like the battery is defective. Contact Verizon. Your phone is still under warranty.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Are you using the cable and charger that came with the device??

If so, then yeah, you need to call vzw.

This is the very first situation like that that I've heard of on a razr. I didn't think invalid battery was a possible error message on a razr since its built in to the device :shocked:

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Try rebooting the device... also. I think you're going to need to do a factory data reset honestly....

Do you have any third party battery saver apps installed? If so, uninstall it.

georgeo18yal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
94lt1 said:
Try rebooting the device... also. I think you're going to need to do a factory data reset honestly....

Do you have any third party battery saver apps installed? If so, uninstall it.

Soft reset+run in safe mode maybe?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

OP
P

poker_vol

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, all. It is the original charger and I had already performed a factory reset trying to fix the problem (reloading and setting up now). Going out of town this weekend, guessing that I am screwed as I seem to have no way to charge it.

OP
P

poker_vol

Reaction score
Back from the Verizon Store. Verizon Rep was no help, Motorola Tech support guys says "Have you tried a reset/" , my answer "Yes", Motorola Rep "Ok, nothing I can do for you then." Result is a reconditioned Razr on the way for middle of next week. Asked if any Maxx's were available and he said they were out. I guess I will be without phone for weekend trip. Thanks again all.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This could easily be a deep discharge issue. If the battery doesn't fit the signature that the phone is expecting (and part of that signature is the voltage), then the phone will respond with the error. I have seen the same error on a D2 with a stock MOTO battery that would no longer take a charge due to deep discharge - MY PHONE! I put the battery on a third party external charger docking station (battery slot behind the phone slot) and let it sit for a few days (forgot about it), when I came back and tried the battery it worked (fully charged).

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Soft reset+run in safe mode maybe?

Good suggestion!

dbitt59

Reaction score

"Invalid Battery

Thanks.

Andy

same thing happened to me on the first razr i had had to get a replacement from vzw so you might as well call them and get process started you will probably get a certified refurb as a replacement

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Did you try powering the phone down and THEN plugging it into the charger? You may be able to get different results, but possibly not. If it is due to deep discharging you would benefit from reading through the threads on the Smartphone Battery Discussion forum. This may have been preventable.

georgeo18yal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
94lt1 said:
Good suggestion!

Well thank you sir! :D

OP
P

poker_vol

Reaction score
Did you try powering the phone down and THEN plugging it into the charger? You may be able to get different results, but possibly not. If it is due to deep discharging you would benefit from reading through the threads on the Smartphone Battery Discussion forum. This may have been preventable.

I don't think it was a deep discharge issue as I used it for 4 hours this morning after trying to charge it initially and incurring the problem. When I left the house, it had 40% charge, by the time I got to my desk, the battery had gone to a question mark with it being in my pocket during the trip. After the resets, Verizon resets, and Motorola Tech discussion, it has run out of charge.

Motorola is send me a refurb that I should receive on Mon/Tues.