Inundated with ads on ICS?

BillTheCat

Reaction score
After manually upgrading to ICS on Saturday, I noticed that I have been receiving seemingly random advertisements as notifications. (Employment ads, mortgage refinancing ads, ads for apps, etc.) I keep thinking I must have an e-mail, but when I pull down the notifications bar, I see an advertisement. If I click on the notification, it might launch the browser or the app store, and it tends to PUT A NEW ICON ON MY HOME SCREEN.

So I have obviously stopped clicking on any of them. (I was just hoping to learn where they came from so I could stop them)

Has anyone else been slammed with ads as notifications? Any idea how to stop them? I have been looking thru all of the phone settings for a privacy setting, an opt-out, etc., to no avail. If this is just a fact of life with ICS, I will happily downgrade to Gingerbread again. Might finally be time to start learning how to root & install custom ROMs.

Thanks in advance...

Abaddon

Reaction score
Download an app called air push detector. It will tell you what app is sending those notifications. This shouldn't have anything to do with ICS.

OP
BillTheCat

BillTheCat

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I didn't install any new apps after ICS, so I was primarily suspicious of the OS itself. I'll DL one of those apps & figure this out. (Maybe app permissions changed for something that wasn't allowed before...) Much obliged!

droidweb

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Did you ever figure out what it was that was causing the problem? I was thinking it might be Go Launcher, did you have that installed as well?

SallyC

Reaction score
I did not install any new apps after ICS and I also have been getting ads. I know some of the apps updated, and I'm suspicious of changed permissions as well. Haven't had time to track it down yet, but if anyone else figures out the culprit please let us know.

hevm786

Reaction score
I had the same issue. Install push ad detector, it will tell you which apps are causing the ads. Just uninstall the app or apps causing the ads. ICS shouldn't have anything to do with the ads.

rotordroid

Reaction score
I found it to be one of my GO apps and uninstalled it. It's not ICS, ICS just provides the notification area for the ads which GB did not, that's why they just started showing up....ICS is the conduit, not the culprit....you need to uninstall the offending app.

SallyC

Reaction score
Whatever was going on with me at first apparently has just stopped. So I had a couple of ads right after the install but nothing since.

LesDroid

Reaction score
Why i always have some random apps on my homescreens? And why everyday i get a notification with a green plus(+) sign that says 1000s of android apps bla bla blahh.... Is driving me crazy...

BadAzzFireman

Reaction score
Glad to see that I wasn't the only one dealing with this. I downloaded Air Push Detector and Addons Detector & found the culprit app. It was a Go Launcher theme titled Galaxy s3 by UI DESIGNERS. Before I posted here I wanted to test it out to make sure this in fact was what was causing it before calling out a designers app. I installed and uninstalled the app 3 different times and within 24 hours of doing it each time I would have a new ad in my notifications bar.

Odd thing with this one was it would alternate with ads that had a green star and some had a red star. I hate when telemarketers call my house but I really hate getting bull**** ads pushed to my phone.

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Yeah, I ran across this too and found out in my case it was "TalkDroid Messenger" creating the notification ads. They must have been hit with an avalanche of complaints, because they quickly released another update for the app that removed those ads.

jtc303

Reaction score
Ad network detector by lookout is great at finding the offending spam apps... along with the others already mentioned

Inky1216

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen, but before I was on ICS. Searched the forums and got Air Push Detector. Turned out the culprits were a few themes I had gotten for Go Locker that were from someone other than the Go Launcher Devs. Deleted them, problem of notification ads instantly gone, and I stick to themes from Go Launcher only now ;)