Introduction: DP

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by davine prodigy, Oct 1, 2010.

1. davine prodigy

davine prodigy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    New to Team Droid (had to leave Team Blackberry). Just bought the Samsung Fascinate and absolutely love it! Also just rooted the phone with the help of xda-developers forum. If anyone knows of some good rooted apps, please let me know. Didn't root the phone for no reason. Any Droid information is helpful.

2. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    :welcome: to the Forum and congrats on the Fascinate

Cache Cleaner
    Root Explorer
    Shoot Me
    Dro Cap

To name a few....

3. davine prodigy

Ratings:
    +0
    Which app is great for increasing the performance of the phone so far as speed and fixing lag issues?

4. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    Not sure there is an app for that--you should check out the Fascinate section here I am sure you will pick up good ideas for peformance enhancement

5. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member

Ratings:
    +4
    There is actually, its called SetCPU, and it should work no matter what phone you have (Although some phone stock kernels won't allow overclocking, like the LG Ally for some reason). SetCPU overclocks the processor a bit (and underclocks when not needed), and there are task killers which help free up memory. I don't know about the built-in memory on the Fascinate but a lot of the lag on my Moto Droid is due to running low on free memory, and my Advanced Task Killer helps keep running RAM free.

6. davine prodigy

Ratings:
    +0
    there are like 10 free advanced task killer apps. which one do you use (by whom)?

7. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    None...they are performance/battery drainers and completely un-needed

8. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member

Ratings:
    +4
    "Advanced Task Killer", it has the green Droid Logo. I went ahead and paid for the pro version, so I could get auto-kill. I don't know if its the free version or both that gets it but I also have a widget on my home screen that I can just click that and it auto-kills apps.

9. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member

Ratings:
    +4
    That may be true, maybe I use it as a holdover from my previous stock 2.1 ROM, but I feel it does make things a bit snappier by freeing up RAM.

10. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
  11. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Typically, task killers cause more problems than they solve. Read the link TP provided if says it all.

12. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member

Ratings:
    +4
    If that's the case then Android is written wrong. I would rather wait a few minutes when opening an app while it loads into the memory, then have to wait even longer to open an app because it has to clear the memory of an app it thought I was going to run, THEN load the memory of the app I want to run.

I have apps auto-starting I don't even want to start or run in the first place.

And you're right, if you use a task-killer that kills everything yes it can.

Advanced Task Killer doesn't even show or kill system tasks/apps.
    It displays a list of apps, and I always set it to ignore apps for my home-screen widgets/security software, so that way it always only auto-kills User Apps that are running by themselves for no reason than to take up space in my RAM.

Now there is no lag when I'm opening the launcher app list, or no lag when switching back and forth between home screens, it runs smoothly when there is more free RAM.

#12 Bilgediver, Oct 1, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010