Introducing nook for Android: Now Available

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice! it's a big app though, close to 18 MB of space on install. :O

I got 179 mb of space on my Droid, and I can probably move it to the SD card anyway.

Rooting does hav it's advantages.:)

REMilk

Reaction score
Update on Nook Reader not working on Airplane Mode

I spent some time communicating with David from B&N earlier yesterday (07/24/10) and today (07/25/10).

While in airplane mode, I was finally able to open a book that was downloaded, by trying to open it several times. I still get the Connection/Sync error, but I can now open books and read them in airplane mode. It is not the best situation, but you can get it to work.

I sent a recommendation that when the sync/connection error occurs a statement be added stating that you can read any eBooks that are downloaded to your device.

David continues to investigate the problem.

Last edited:

Kias

Reaction score
I finally got a reply today from them about deleting books... Here it is.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for writing us

Please be advised any permanent content deletion is done online only.
Please follow the steps below to delete content:

1. Click my account.

2.Sign in.

3. Click on my eBooks library.

4.Click on the eBook you would like to delete.

5. Confirm.

We hope you find this information useful. If you have any questions please call us at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and request Digital Support. We are available Monday through Friday from 8AM to 11PM EST, Saturdays and Sundays 9AM to 11PM EST.

Sincerely,

Katina
Customer Service Representative - Digital Support Barnes and Noble http://www.bn.com/

I'm not so sure this actually deletes the book from your sd card though... I'll have to look into this.

REMilk

Reaction score
Nook Updated!

There was an update to the Nook reader. It takes about 1/3 less space and if you are running 2.2, it installs on the SD card.

Here is the announcement.
http://bit.ly/dtc5T7

Another fix is that it no longer tries to sync when in airplane mode. (Yipee)

I will be reading tonight (08/05) on the red-eye from Seattle to Atlanta.

Bob

Last edited:

REMilk

Reaction score
Updated Nook

The updated Nook Reader for Android worked flawlessly on my flight between Seattle and Atlanta. No 'sync'/connection errors in airplane mode. dancedroid

Easy to read; oh and did I say, that the updated Nook reader is 1/3 smaller in memory size and when you are running 2.2 it installs on the SD card.

I love it!

Bob

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Anyone have pro's/con's between this and the Kindle app?

I already have the Kindle app and have a couple books bought.

REMilk

Reaction score
I use Kindle, Nook, and Borders

I use Kindle, Nook, and Borders eBook readers on my Droid as I receive gift cards from Amazon, Borders and Barnes and Noble. This gives me lots of flexibility.

Each has their unique DRM, so in the spirit of no breaking the law and removing the DRM, you need each if you get eBooks from each.

I have no favorite. To me, it is no different that each book having its own textural character such font, size, format, page size, paper weight, etc.

They all work well!

Bob

Last edited:

PikaCane

Reaction score
I heard that rooting breaks Kindle. Anyone know if this is true or not, and whether FroYo makes a difference? Nook bugs me with its insistence on animating page turns. I'm just too impatient for that :)

jev

Reaction score
I heard that rooting breaks Kindle. Anyone know if this is true or not, and whether FroYo makes a difference? Nook bugs me with its insistence on animating page turns. I'm just too impatient for that :)

I have no problem with kindle on my rooted Droid.

drowe

Reaction score

The animation is a preference. Open a book, menu, all settings, uncheck animate page turns. It is much faster to turn.

kapeman

Reaction score
Converting to Android from i(P)OS:

Where do you place the epub (or whatever) files to give the various readers access or do they all have a unique folder they look in?

Same for video.

Thanks!

drowe

Reaction score
Converting to Android from i(P)OS:

Where do you place the epub (or whatever) files to give the various readers access or do they all have a unique folder they look in?

Same for video.

Thanks!

All the book readers have their own folders for books.... How much fun would it be it you could just put them on and it would work? They are mostly in subdirectories under the app name on the sd card. For example, my side loaded books are in /sdcard/nook/my documents.

David