Introducing myself & some questions

zugu

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I recently bought my first Android phone, a cheap Vodafone 858, a.k.a. Vodafone Smart, a.k.a. Huawei U8160, running Android 2.2. It's a great little phone, and is quite fast considering its specs. I just rooted it using SuperOneClick and it was a quick, painless experience.

Now I have some questions - I don't know if it's OK to ask them in this introduction thread, but here goes nothing:

1. Now that my device is rooted, how do I uninstall unwanted apps that came installed on the factory ROM? When I select Twitter or Facebook in Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications, the "Uninstall" button is grayed out, just like it was before I rooted the phone.

2. The device currently runs an Android 2.2.1 ROM, full of Vodafone crap, of course. I want to wipe it and install a clean Android 2.2.1 release (or 2.2.2 if it's possible / recommended).

Unfortunately, everywhere I look I can only find pet projects, such as "Alice's awesome ROM" or "Bob's amazing ROM". There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but none of these ROMs are vanilla. They're all different from the official release - some apps have been added or removed, sometimes new themes have been installed and so on. Even the "vanilla-like" CyanogenMod is different from the official release.

What can I do to get my phone to run the official / untouched Android 2.2.1 release? (2.2.2 is also OK. I think.)

Cheers,

Tiberiu

Last edited: