Internet using bluetooth tether over non-rooted Bionic

DrProzzak

Reaction score
I searched for a similar thread, but couldn't seem to find one.

I have been mulling over rooting my Bionic, but have not done so yet because I'm still on the fence about returning it due to the semi-annoying screen.

Anyway, I have not paid for the wifi hotspot bull*, but discovered while bluetoothed to my Asus Transformer, that the internet is shared just fine. I am at work and do not have access to any wifi locations.

Is there something I'm missing that could be making me believe in magic?
As I said, my Bionic is NOT rooted, I have confirmed that my tablet is not connected to anything but the phone through bluetooth and I have NOT paid for the mobile hotspot service.

I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this and if it's nothing to get all nutty over.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

DrProzzak

Reaction score
I'm not attempting to troll. I had a rooted gen 1 droid so it's not like I could have accidentally rooted it without knowing.

I had bluetoothed them together to send some files when I noticed my tablet updated my email messages. It is a wifi/BT only tablet*

I then used the browser and got a web page to come up. Thinking it was left over from a previous session, I accessed a page I've never been to on my tablet, then tried youtube and got videos to come up. All worked well.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I used to be able to BT tether my xoom to my d2g, it doesn't seem to work with the bionic yet, the option is there in the xoom I just don't get any internet when I enable it. going to keep searching and looking for other alternatives, hopefully something happens... maybe I'll just sell my xoom for a lapdock >_> not sure yet

opnsrcaddict

Reaction score
I'd love to get bluetooth tethering working with my tablet. I've tried it with both my Viewsonic G Tablet and my Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet, both running honeycomb. Neither would connect. On the tablets they would just say "Paired but not connected". When I clicked on the wrench and selected the tethering option, there would be no change. Any ideas?

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
I have/love my Xoom from its launch and returned the lapdock... You would hate yourself were you to do the opposite! Imho... No where breast the same experience, and a lot bigger and tougher to port around...
Root, hack and love your Xoom ask over again!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
D

DrProzzak

Reaction score
Has anyone had the same experience yet? >.<
I've been able to repeat it.

An update: The processor use pop up will occasionally come up with high use warnings shortly before the internet goes out alltogether, but that is only immediately after the bluetooth connects.
However, the 3G tends to cut out on me from time to time anyhow. (I imagine it's my area as my gen1 droid did the same) I have yet to try this in a 4G area, but don't see why I can't still connect.
If I knew more about the phone systems I could figure out how it's working, but I suck and cannot.

I just want to get it out there and see if anyone else has had success with their tablet, hopefully even someone who can figure out why/how it's doing it and exploit that at very least if and when Verizon brings the banhammer down on current methods.

technogeek00

Reaction score
Hi have a TF101 as well but I have a Droid 3 intead of a Bionic. I can tether via bluetooth and use the internet all I want, I have been doing this for over a month, before and after rooting and it seems like verizon is not detecting this or simply the tethering is done in a way to not warrant needing a special data package add-on. I love it, especially when I have no wifi.

Forgot to mention, I'm sitting in a park sending this over the tether now haha.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Dr.

I posted a similar query a couple of days ago. My Bionic works via bluetooth with my Dell laptop (tethering). I am rooted, and have pdanet for usb tethering installed, but my bluetooth works without starting the pdanet dun services. Being new to bluetooth, it had me scratching my head as to how or why it is working. And I am not paying for the hotspot data feature through VZW. I too was concerned that this would be picked up by VZW and cause me a back charge of some sort. I have not used it at all to test the long term functionality, but may do so. Still scratching my head, as most tethering threads are just the opposite, folks not getting any tethering working.

Craig

ray985

Reaction score
Bluetooth Tethering on 3G Only

I have the Bionic and was able to successfully pair it to my iPad and use it to connect to the internet with no hacking, rooting etc. Overall it was pretty quick and easy. The only problem with it is that the tethering is only possible when I'm on 3G. I've read that Verizon blocks the functionality while on 4G. It's a pain not being able to use that super fast 4G internet connection but I'll settle for 3G tethering without having to pay the additional $20 a month.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I have and love my Acer Iconia A500. They just needed to make the name longer!! LOL I haven't tried tethering it to my Bionic cause I've never been in an area with my A500 that didn't have wifi. I'd love to try it out. Is there a simple process? Neither are rooted.

TIA

konellaz

Reaction score
Bluetooth and usb tethering is designed to work with 3g unless you pay for the mobile 4g hotspot. dont know it this helps or not
I have and love my Acer Iconia A500. They just needed to make the name longer!! LOL I haven't tried tethering it to my Bionic cause I've never been in an area with my A500 that didn't have wifi. I'd love to try it out. Is there a simple process? Neither are rooted.

TIA

wiloti

Reaction score
My droid bionic does not work bluetooth with my Dell laptop?

Can you help me tether my droid bionic with my dell laptop?