Internet tethering app

toadfish

Reaction score
Is PDNnet a good one to use? I am not rooted and really don't trust my self to root it. I seem to have bad luck with that and well just rather stay away from it.

I am up for any suggestions on maybe other free tether apps that work with the bionic. Can be wifi or usb or both. I live in the country and dial up is the only internet beside my phone. Any help would be appreciated.

I apologies if this has been ask and answers already. New to the site and I could not come up with anything.

Thanks

hdtechk

Reaction score
Is PDNnet a good one to use? I am not rooted and really don't trust my self to root it. I seem to have bad luck with that and well just rather stay away from it.

I am up for any suggestions on maybe other free tether apps that work with the bionic. Can be wifi or usb or both. I live in the country and dial up is the only internet beside my phone. Any help would be appreciated.

I apologies if this has been ask and answers already. New to the site and I could not come up with anything.

Thanks

If you are trying to usb tether bionic has built in usb tethering. To use. Plug in
USB switch to mass storage then go into
Settings turn on usb tethering. Verizon only charges for wifi tether
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Camoxjeep

Reaction score
Ive tried to tether using a usb cable but no dice. Mounted as usb mass storage, turned on usb tethering and nogo, my laptop says it found an unknown network and does not have internet access. Any suggestions?

hdtechk

Reaction score
Ive tried to tether using a usb cable but no dice. Mounted as usb mass storage, turned on usb tethering and nogo, my laptop says it found an unknown network and does not have internet access. Any suggestions?

do you have the most current moto drivers installed. im just trying it out with my new razr i got today it alsow works

edit; alsow worked with droid x so know i know it works with bionic, X and razr.
make sure its not being blocked by nortin or other firewall

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Most devices require charge only mode to usb tether.

You may need to disable usb debugging to use inbuilt capability.

Camoxjeep

Reaction score
turning off my firewall did the trick, now to try and found out how to put it on the trusted partition of my firewall so I dont have to disable it. Anyone know what to look for for the bionic? thanks to hdtechk for the help

blwn327

Reaction score
so verizon is ok with usb tethering and unlimited data?I always thought there was an issue with wifi and usb to where they wanted to charge

hdtechk

Reaction score
so verizon is ok with usb tethering and unlimited data?I always thought there was an issue with wifi and usb to where they wanted to charge

Don't know if there ok with it just know I have never Ben charged extra for it send Droid x was new 4 years ago.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

djembeman

Reaction score
Work on MAC?

Don't know if there ok with it just know I have never Ben charged extra for it send Droid x was new 4 years ago.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I don't know if the built in USB Tether is supposed to work without a tethering plan, but I've always used PDANet, Easy Tether or rooted my phone to use Android WiFi Tether. Back in Droid 1 days you had to subscribe to a tethering plan for USB Tether if non-rooted.

I just tried the built in USB Tethering app on my Bionic and it just doesn't really do anything. Is it supposed to work on Apple Computers? Does it fail because I'm rooted? It obviously doesn't matter to me because I'm rooted, but it would be nice to know if built in USB tether actually does work for free.

Cinoib

Reaction score
I don't know if the built in USB Tether is supposed to work without a tethering plan, but I've always used PDANet, Easy Tether or rooted my phone to use Android WiFi Tether. Back in Droid 1 days you had to subscribe to a tethering plan for USB Tether if non-rooted.

I just tried the built in USB Tethering app on my Bionic and it just doesn't really do anything. Is it supposed to work on Apple Computers? Does it fail because I'm rooted? It obviously doesn't matter to me because I'm rooted, but it would be nice to know if built in USB tether actually does work for free.

I noticed when I used SqLite to edit permissions that both wifi and USB permissions were set at "1" hence not allowed (permissions 147 and 148 as I recall).

Sent from my SGH-T849 using DroidForums

Dezero

Reaction score
Verizon charges for wifi tether under the impression that you will be using your tether for more than one computer/device which goes against the policy atleast with wired tether your in theory only using the unlimited data on your phone/pc. Just don't go overboard with data usage.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Reaction score
Back when I had my OG and we got Froyo they updated it so you could use USB tethering for free, I have used the OG and my bionic, and my wife's Razr straight out of the box, rooted and not rooted, there is no charge for that option.

Settings> wireless & networks> tethering & hotspots

Check USB tethering

Make sure you have updated drivers

USB charge only

And this is from the help menu under tethering

USB tethering only works in Linux, windows vista, and windows 7.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums