Internet not working without wifi

Wefler

Reaction score
Not sure if this is happening because of rooting my device but it seems that i can't get any webpages to load when I'm NOT connected to wifi. Getting the general "webpage not available" error. I DO have signal.

Any suggestions?

thanks

MrKleen

Reaction score
I had that problem once. I called Verizon tech support and he told me to turn off my phone and do a battery pull then restart.

When you do a battery pull you reconnect to the towers.

Let me know if this helps.

OP
W

Wefler

Reaction score
Worked for a minute. Now not working again.

Is there any kind of update I should be doing on my own? I rooted and don't know if this would cause it or not.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

MrKleen

Reaction score
Rooting it shouldn't cause this. Did you use Z4 to root? If so you can also use it to unroot and maybe start over. Did you do anything else other than root?

If you decide to load a custom rom don't forget to make a stock backup first.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Also, my voice to speech in text messages isn't working.

It sounds like something else has changed other than just rooting.

OP
W

Wefler

Reaction score
Used z4. Didn't load anything that I remember. Changed some stuff on my screens. Using launcher pro. Installed switcher pro. Also using minimalistic text widget...

Dunno

MrKleen

Reaction score
Maybe unroot and see if its ok. Then try again with z4.

MrKleen

Reaction score
When I turn my wifi off I also can't use my voice search. I get a message saying "Communication error."

That would be normal if you were not connected since using voice to text has to connect to the network ... sorry I forgot about that.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Would you be comfortable rooting again and trying this? This will completely re-install your entire system frsh and starting over. This is an option if nothing else works for you.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-rooted-help/112152-maderstcok-ota-2-3-340-update-zip.html

Do some reading to decide if this is the way you want to go. It would be helpful if you were familiar with flashing Roms.

Maybe call tech support first now that you are not rooted and see if they have any ideas.

I'm sure you can get this resolved.

OP
W

Wefler

Reaction score
Morale isn't too low yet. I unrooted and did a battery pull for a few minutes. Still getting the internet error though.
Going to try to do a restore of the baseline backup that I made. Don't think I was having this problem then (this has all happened within the past 3 days or so.)

OP
W

Wefler

Reaction score
Looks like things are up and running smoothly after the restore. When I was having the problem my 3G icon wasn't showing up. Maybe I turned off 3G or something.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know what your issue is. You need to go for a drive. Seriously.

Get about 5 miles from where you are having this issue and I'll bet you will see the 3G back. You're having a tower issue. I had the same thing happen to me.

After you've gone for your drive and see your signal, call Verizon and tell them about your issue. They will give you a ticket number and about 4 business days later your issue will be resolved. They will send a tech out to fix the tower issue.

Remember to buckle up.;)