internet from hardwire.

Jman7427

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
sch-I545 - galaxy S4
Hypothesis: let's say I'm running low on data. I'm at work, unable to use wifi. I have access to a desktop workstation. Is there a way to access the internet thru my workstation using a USB/power tether? Perhaps an app or something?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hmm...seems like it would be technically possible. You can do usb tether to use your phone's data on your PC. No idea if such a thing exists though.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
This may sound obtuse but you could use a mini switch to split your one wired connection into two the connect a portable router to the second one and use it as a WiFi gateway.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The part that seems like it would be tricky would be the software to get the phone to interpret data coming from the usb port as internet connectivity and redirecting all internet data out through usb instead of in/out the wireless radios.

But then, I'm not a coder.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I meant to say portable WiFi router. I have done this before. If there is a spare network drop close by you don't need to the switch but the portable WiFi router can make a WiFi hotspot from any wired connection. It's great for getting better connections in a hotel. And it ads a layer of privacy/security. You could even plug the router into the main network switch if it's close enough.

6 new travel routers reviewed

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'd be careful with that though. Make sure you're familiar with your work's policies, because that's considered a Rogue Access Point and, in some companies, is a punishable offense. It's a no-no to expand or otherwise compromised a company's network.

OP
Jman7427

Jman7427

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
sch-I545 - galaxy S4
Jonny - I'll take that into consideration. Thank you all for answering. I just hate eating up my data, when I'm at work.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I hear ya, but as an IT guy, I know the rules most places employee. We're a nursing home though, so we've got an unsecured wireless network that residents, guests, & employees can use.

A VPN app is a good idea if you're gonna use public wifi though.

Sent from my Note 4

Alex Hell

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC
I am also facing the same problem. I restart my phone. After that it's working.