International Cell phone details

pearly83

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid RAZR
I am an American living in Japan. My work has me travel to a lot of countries in the region. I have a Japanese phone, but even if I unlocked it, it wouldn't work outside of Japan. I am going to get an unlocked Droid phone (my last one died), and then just pick up a SIM card in each place to use it. I am thinking of picking up a dual sim phone.

Looking at two elements.
1. What are the specific bandwidth/cell modes I need to ensure it has to work the most around Asia/US and the world?
2. What Droid phones has most people found to work best when traveling in Asia/Us and around the world?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
1. Alot of the world uses GSM technology so I would think that would be your best bet, even though alot of phones today are considered "world" phones too.

2. Allow me to clear up some confusion here. "Droid" is a lineup of Android devices on Verizon's network. Android devices can be found on just about any carrier nowadays though.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
If you are looking for a phone that will work just about anywhere, check the GSM versions from Samsung S5, LG G3 and HTC M8. You can't go wrong with either of these flagship phones.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
1. Alot of the world uses GSM technology so I would think that would be your best bet, even though alot of phones today are considered "world" phones too.

2. Allow me to clear up some confusion here. "Droid" is a lineup of Android devices on Verizon's network. Android devices can be found on just about any carrier nowadays though.

The second point is important. As dezymond points out, the word "Droid" is specific to a family of CDMA devices marketed by Verizon. An AT&T Samsung android phone (of which I have several) is not technically a Droid, because it is not part of Verizon's fold.

OP
pearly83

pearly83

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid RAZR
My bad. I did have a Droid RAZR and now am looking for a good Android device to be used internationally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
pearly83

pearly83

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid RAZR
I am here to learn. I have played with other forums enough to know not take anything personally.

OP
pearly83

pearly83

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid RAZR
Are there specific GSM bands I need to ensure I get on a phone?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Are there specific GSM bands I need to ensure I get on a phone?

GSM phones covers most countries. Just make sure it's unlocked if you plan on using a local SIM.

benlinus48

Reaction score
I'm recommending you to go for a LG G2 considering to your requirement.

OP
pearly83

pearly83

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid RAZR
I have been looking at the samsung and the lg g2. Trying to figure out which one is better. I do know that when I go back to the states I will probably be getting the latest galaxy or htc.

OP
pearly83

pearly83

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid RAZR
Sorry. I was confused. I have been looking at the LG Optimus L7 II Dual Sim P715, and the Samsung Galaxy S Duos 2 - S7582 DUAL SIM. Does anyone have any experience with these phones. I am trying to stay on the cheaper end since this phone will be used when I travel.