Internal storage low... Can I do some cleanup in /data/app ?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by PHDB, Aug 10, 2011.

1. PHDB

PHDB New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have a Samsung Galaxy Spica (rooted) with CyanogenMod 6.1.1 Spica alpha8.4
    I have activated App2SD (but not move Davilk-cache to SD) and here is the current status of my storage

SD
    Total: 6.91 GB
    Available: 6.30 GB

Memoire interne
    Total: 147 MB
    Available: 11.38 MB

I have wondered for a long time how the internal storage could be so low knowing that my apps were on the SD card.
    But once I recently saw it lower from 50 MB to 11 MB since I installed my new ROM and then re-installed several apps, I think this comes from /data/app which seems to contain all *apk files of the apps I downloaded.

Question: can I do some cleanup in /data/app without any risk? apk files are installers right? Once the app installed, are they still used?

Additional question : I also have in there several *.zip files (e.g. I have Appl.apk et Appl.zip for some of them): what is it used for?

Thanks for your answers

2. Droid Firefighter

Droid Firefighter Senior Member

Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
    Ratings:
    +13
    Current Phone Model:
    S4
    The apk is the application. Do not delete those. I can't be 100% on the .zip files so I won't try :).

Boot into recovery and clear cache and dalvik cache a few times. This won't screw up your apps. DO NOT clear data. That wipes the ROM and you don't want that. If you don't mind resetting your phone back up you can do a factory data reset. It won't erase the ROM but will clear out everything including apps.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

3. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +22
    /data/app is where the app is, the .apk file is the app, not the installer. Installing apps from the Market installs them to /data/app. Cleaning up /data/app is called "uninstalling apps" :)

I would clear cache of apps first (if rooted, cache cleaner for root users is nice) or just manually do it selecting each app and selecting clear cache (from the main menu, Settings, Applications, Manage Applications).

Also moving apps to SD (since you enabled it, now go do it) will help. Again, same place (main menu, Settings, Applications, Manage Applications) select an app and choose Move to SD. Do NOT move anything that you use a Widget of, Live Wallpapers and anything that you have that loads at boot.

4. PHDB

PHDB New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but I thought Enabling App 2 SD would actually move the apps to the specific SD card partition already.
    And in fact, once I enabled again App 2 SD after installing my new ROM + wiping data/cache, all my preivous applications "reappeared" so it means they were all on SD parition already doesn't it?

Anyway, thanks for the answers on /data/app :)
    I would have screwed everything up.

5. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +22
    Nope, enabling it just enables the ability. Easy check, go to menu, Settings, Applications, Manage Applications and click on one. It'll either say "move to Sd" or "move to Phone" If it says "move to phone" it is on the sd card. If it says "move to sd" it is in /data/app (on the phone).

And it's even easy enough to see from the info you posted...
    SD
    Total: 6.91 GB
    Available: 6.30 GB (you've used .61 GB of space on your SDCARD)

Memoire interne
    Total: 147 MB
    Available: 11.38 MB (you've used almost all your space of /data/app)

6. jayman350

jayman350 Member

Ratings:
    +18
    one thing you can do to clean up some internal space is to delete any ringtones/notifications/alarms that you do not use. These are located under /system/media/audio. These take up a LOT of space, and I don't have a whole lot of internal storage on my D1 so I do this every time I flash a rom.

If you have TiBu you can uninstall any applications you don't use. I typically will remove all live wallpapers (keep the live wallpaper picker/chooser), Launcher (I use LauncherPro), all ringtones except for two, all notifications except for 3, car dock, and a handful of other programs I don't use.

If you are worried about deleting something important, make a backup of your rom before you delete anything. If you delete something you shouldn't have you can always flash the backup.

7. PHDB

PHDB New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed ! I move several apps with the button "Move to SD". I had to wipe dalviq cache to have space saved on internal storage but it definitely saved some space.
    Now I sumed up how much I was supposed to gain by moving some apps to SD (size before and after move): around 23-24 MB.
    After wipe dalviq cache, I "only" improved internal storage by 12 MB.
    But still that's better and I have other apps to move.

Thanks for the tip !

Additional question: I can see that there is in Cyanogen setting to force the move of all apps to SD (currently some of them are moveable (cause they seem to be system apps, even it is apps like Facebook that were bundled in a single ROM package along with core)). Is there a risk of activating that setting and forcing the move?

PS: Now I still don't understand how my apps reappeared after ROM installation and wipe data/cache if the were not on my SD card beforehand ?!

Search tags for this page
android internal storage cleanup
erase kindle internal storage
how to clean up android internal storage

how to clean up internal storage android

how to clean up internal storage kindle fire
how to clean up storage on android
how to clear internal storage on kindle fire
how to delete internal storage on kindle fire
samsung galaxy i5700 clear wallpaper
samsung prevail 2 low storage