Internal Memory

cdfjr1975

Reaction score
Am I missing something here? My storage is listed as 8GB, not quite the 16GB spec as advertised so I'm sure I'm just missing something here. SD card is 16GB.

Any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

HappyHour

Reaction score
I agree. The way Verizon advertised it made it seem like there was 16G Free in addition to the 16G SD card. Very misleading.

hiimjered

Reaction score
I just assumed that the other 8GB of the internal storage was saved/used by the operating system, the pre-installed apps, walpaper and ringtones and other such things.

All of that has to go somewhere.

greg_p

Reaction score
16Gb are the full flash size, but it is partly taken by system (5.5) and apps (2.5). So remains 8Gb for storage.

Last edited:
OP
C

cdfjr1975

Reaction score
Wow, 5.5 for OS and other programs. Again, wow.

Thanks for the input!

thefuzz

Reaction score
Most phones do they though. it is standard advertisement and usual for OS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
C

cdfjr1975

Reaction score
Wonder what that means for GN if it really has 16GB

fauxreall

Reaction score
I suppose it could be slightly misleading, but I always figured when they said 16gb they meant the micro sd card and the 8gb internal is just a bonus :p

greg_p

Reaction score
What is taking that memory is basically motocast and webtop, that are technically big file trasfert and an enormous X server in ordert to have a simili ubuntu in your phone. X server on a linux machine is bigger than that. Anyway, I think you may get some more place by removing all motocast and webtop service but I am not sure you can do it very easily as, it is very probably set as flash partitions.

c.r.ayala

Reaction score
When you unlock the bootloader and root does it wipe internal memory?? like all my pictures and music and whatever else would normally be on my SD card safe from any wiping?

I know a couple of people have already rooted so curious if it wiped all their stored files and what not? because i could transfer the files off the device before if thats the case but would rather not considering how SLOW it is at transferring stuff :/

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, wipes everything when unlocking. Once you flash clockwork recovery, the space designated as "sd card" should be safe when wiping in the future.

xcodybx

Reaction score
Well, the title says it all. I'm unable to flash roms on SS3 because of my internal memory being too low. When I go in and look at my internal memory, I don't really see anything big that would be putting a burden on memory. Any suggestions or ideas as to what I could delete to free up some space? Everything that matters to me on my phone (pics, music, etc) is on my external sd card.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
You could move larger apps to external sd card.
Some the widgets don't work if they are not on a internal though.

You should also check for apps that you don't have any more that left folders with data on the internal card you could delete.