Internal Memory?

Natejka7273

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there, but could it be virtual memory? I know computers do this (my mac has ~6GB of it) so maybe smartphones do this too. It could also be used for memory protection/ the fast boot thing. I know on my mac 4GB are used on the hard drive which are an exact copy of the DDR memory so that if the computer shuts off suddenly it can be restored and so that the sleep mode can use even less power. Maybe the quick boot thing on the Thunderbolt works the same way? Just some ideas.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey guys this was answered in another thread. According to htc this is a software problem and will hopefully be fixed in an upcoming update.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

dimap

Reaction score
My guess is that there is a duplicate copy of the OS on the internal memory for security/backup reasons. In the event the phone is rooted, after the phone is reset, the duplicate OS is then rebooted, thereby unrooting it and returning it to factory condition. This was done on the HTC MyTouch4G for T-Mobile, and might be a common feature of HTC Androids moving forward.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Almost 70% of Internal Memory is Missing. - HTC Thunderbolt (Verizon) - Android Forums - HTC Community --- if you take the time to read this, near the end, it looks like it is 4GB and not 8GB, or it was 8GB and then half of it was partitioned to not be used, and then we get half of that (2GB).

Either way, I paid for 8GB and I'm only getting 2.40GB. After I get everything set up I have 2.39GB free. This isn't what I paid for. I realize a lot of it is partitioned up but again, I paid for 8GB, not 2.39GB.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Lol my gf's inspire has 4gb internal, and when she got it she freaked out cause she only had 1.06

2.4gb is very little memory. On my DX I had over 7.5gb of memory, and after downloading everything I wanted I had about 5 left. So I used 2.5

Given my current internal memory, I can't do what I did with my DX unless I move apps around, or hack it etc. That sucks, but can't do anything about it.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
It makes absolutely no sense to me why manufactures expect us to have like 5-10 apps on our phone and nothing more. Especially when Move to SD Card is such a viable option.... Why is it that only 5-30% of the application is moved to the SD card? Just seems so retarded... Then to hear that HTC takes an 8GB card, cuts it in half, then cuts it in half again only allowing us to use 2-3GB of it all the while advertising that we have 8GB of internal storage. That really pisses me off. This "update" better free some of that up for OUR usage.

alboboy10

Reaction score
People are saying if you root you can remove crapware. How much can we possibly remove? I doubt there is more than 1GB of crap in our phones. Max 1.5? Where is the rest of 4 though. How did HTC just cut half of the memory lol

It's like selling a car that 700 horsepower and when you buy it, test it, you're actually putting down 200 horsepower.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
According to the HTC forums, they partitioned the card. From Almost 70% of Internal Memory is Missing. - HTC Thunderbolt (Verizon) - Android Forums - HTC Community see the second to last post on page 4. "Says 4GB right there.. Also Its being reported by a well known android hacker/developer Scott Walker that the eMMC is 8GB however it is Formated to 4GB is SLC mode. So basically is a Mini-Raid. Because eMMC memory has a high Failure rate, its done in this manner so that failure reporting will be less."

So, they take an 8GB card, format it to 4GB to have less errors, then reserve 1-2GB for the OS leaving us with 2.5GB.

I can't believe that they get by with marketing an 8GB internal storage device with really only 2.5GB free. I can't believe more people aren't outraged at this. I feel like I got duped. Like buying a 5TB Drive and finding out you can only use 1TB. Or as you said the Horsepower thing. I mean come on. How the f*** do they get by with this? I bought a damn 8GB internal storage device, and 2.4GB was delivered. Not cool. Other than that, pretty happy with the phone....

alboboy10

Reaction score
They can get away with that because the phone technically has 8GB internal memory, it's just just that only 2.5 is usable. They're not lying, they're just not telling you the complete truth about their device.

What does the high failure rate mean? And how would allowing us to use less memory actually reduce the chance of an error...what sort of an error?

I am pretty mad, when my gf got the inspire before me I was about to go to ATT and start accusing them of false advertisement. But then I went to the Verizon store and checked the TB (also asked WorldofJohnnyBoy since he had the phone before us) and he also said the TB had 2.5 GB...so I felt kind of stupid. When my gf asked about the inspire the guy at the store told her that the phone processor needs a lot of internal memory to operate or something like that. He basically fed her crap, because that's what his brain was full of. Crap.

But idk I don't understand how these companies get away with things like this either. We can't really do anything about it though except sue for false advertisement lol...or just not buy the phone.

Is this an issue with all HTC phones though? From what I've been reading every other HTC phone like the incredible had almost all their memory, so why is it only the inspire and the thunderbolt?

TheTyler0013

Reaction score
well hopefully sum Custom ROMS will do something to fix this issue. Because I want what is rightfully mine, that I paid for.

Darn you HTC :icon_evil:

PaintDrinkingPete

Reaction score
What does the high failure rate mean? And how would allowing us to use less memory actually reduce the chance of an error...what sort of an error?

In this case it's protection against file corruption. With the disk configured for "RAID-1" (I use quotes because I have no idea if it's an actual RAID config, or something else entirely), then both halves of the disk are replicated to each other, allowing recovery if one sector of disk fails.

So, in this example, an 8 GB disk is divided into 2 4GB partitions, and those partitions are basically just mirror images of one another. If one partition becomes corrupted, it can be recovered from the other disk....but again, I'm just explain how RAID works, I don't have any idea what has actually been deployed on the TB internal memory. Normally, of course, RAID refers to configuration between separate physical disks, and not partitions on one disk.

I'm not saying I do or do not agree with any of this in practice, just trying to explain...

Last edited:

champaned_out

Reaction score
Is there anyway to bypass the way the internal memory is setup so we can utilize all of the potential memory that the tb has? Anyone know if any devs are looking for a solution?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
I would just want 5GB.

2.4 seems a little steep for me

bplewis24

Reaction score
They can get away with that because the phone technically has 8GB internal memory, it's just just that only 2.5 is usable. They're not lying, they're just not telling you the complete truth about their device.

Hmm, I'm not so sure about this. I would have to see the spec/promotional materials for the phone. If they list 8GB of internal memory then I'd say it's false advertising if you have no way of accessing a reasonable amount that is leftover from being allocated to the OS. Saying "well, it's still 8GB even though you can only use 2.5GB" is definitely a dupe, IMO. It doesn't pass the "reasonable person" test.

I wonder if Dell could get away with advertising a PC as having a 1TB HDD, but then partitioning 500GB of it as a recovery drive that is hidden to the consumer? It's probably different because in that situation, the consumer can repartition the drive and reinstall the OS without hacking their PC (maybe).

I think if enough people made a stink about this, it would change. Manufacturers would have to start advertising usable space or storage space (meaning, you can actually store this much data on the card) instead of "internal memory."

Brandon