Interesting take on the Nexus1

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones' started by MadDroidTX, Dec 16, 2009.

1. MadDroidTX

MadDroidTX New Member

This is an interesting perspective on the Nexus and what it means for the future of Android: How Carriers and Phone Makers Are Strangling Android (And Google's Plan to Save It) - google phone - Gizmodo

While I agree that fragmentation is a huge issue with Android, I dont think the situation is as dire as they paint it here. What do you think? I think that Google has to have more up its sleeve than merely showing what Android is supposed to be like.
  2. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

eh some good points... not the most enlightening, but a good comparison with the Iphone and Nexus One
  3. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

The article should not be comparing Apple and Google. The fact is Google wanted Android to be the Mobile OS of choice to battle the rest of the heavyweights. Apple on the other hand...did not. They want to make their own device, create their own OS, and sell it on the carriers they choose. They are not trying to expand the OS out to other manufacturers like Google has done.

More-so than anything I think the statement by Google is more of a strike against HTC, because they are the ones who edit the source of Android and add in "Sense." Motorola was willing to go along with Android as the core OS.

I disagree with the concept that the Android OS is splintered right now. Being honest, we all know that T-Mobile as the sole carrier for Android is not going to do much for you. Just 1 1/2 months ago Droid and Eris were released on Verizon and from this point on is how we should judge Google's decision on how they are having carrier's release the OS.

If it was a concern to Google then they wouldn't be releasing the Nexus with 2.1. They also would have had the Eris be on 2.0 at its release. As we can see, Verizon is more than happy to promote the most updated release of the OS and will no doubt continue this as they want to make sure "the" Droid is their flagship phone and is kept up to date.

This is what Google wanted. They wanted the manufacturers to support Android and not Win Mobile. Google should have had a better plan when it comes to developmental aspects such as apps and games but we are only under 2 months in to the real progress of Android. Before Verizon released these products, I'd say Android was in its Beta stages, awaiting the main stage.

Now we will see what will happen. We already know 2.1 will be on the Droid. I guess we'll find out how Google handles the other carriers future releases.

(Google's initial goal was not to create one sole device running Android and have it be THE phone like Apple did. They wanted to create a Mobile OS to replace Win Mobile/Symbian.)
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  4. austinnadz

austinnadz New Member

Yeah, there were some very good points. I don't know that they are right in saying that once the phone is sold the carrier/developer has no solid incentive to update apps. If the market starts to sink why would people continue to buy it? There is always gonna be some Joe Schmoe in a basement somewhere trying to make his millions for that application he wants and everyone else will....

It was said correctly when someone said above fragmentation isn't as dire as they make it seem.
  5. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Google does not want anything to do with Sense. This is whats going to hurt HTC in the end.

2.1 will be a nice upgrade and it will show off the "real" Android OS to it's fullest. This is what Google wants.

We are starting to see in 2.1 the possibilities of what the "vanilla" OS has to offer.

They are not going to sit by and share the limelight with Sense. They want to kill it.
  6. RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger Premium Member Premium Member

~Moved~

to android phones section
  7. MadDroidTX

MadDroidTX New Member

Thanks Rintin.

I have to say that what does concern me is the problems that the fragmentation might cause in terms of app development. I think it puts a lot of strain on smaller developers, who might otherwise produce quality apps. Not to mention the fact that an app which runs great on 1.5 but not so well on 2.0 might not get a fair shake at the market.