Interesting SPRecovery bricked predicament; please help.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by 12Trice, Sep 19, 2010.

1. 12Trice

12Trice New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What is my predicament and what is so interesting? Well, A few hours ago I connected my motorola droid to my computer to charge it, among other things. I decided to reboot into SPRecovery to make a backup of my phone, so I started the reboot process. I left my phone there in SPRecovery, I was probably gone for an hour an a half (I forgot). When I went to my computer I pressed the lock button, the motorola logo appeared, held for a few seconds, and went back to darkness. I unplugged it from my computer. Now it won't do anything at all, including that logo, no matter what I might try.

Anyone had this problem or heard of it? Anyone have any ideas? Basically I left it alone in SPRecovery for upwards of an hour and now the phone is completely and totally unresponsive, other than the charging light lighting when it is connected to power.

Motorola Droid running 2.2
    Sapphire version 1.0
    SPRecovery I unfortunately cannot remember the build

I'm more or less freaking out as I use this as both my business and personal phone. I will take any thoughts and ideas seriously.
    Thanks much.:hail:

2. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    Do a battery pull, replace it, then plug the phone back into the wall charger rather than your PC and let it sit for half an hour to an hour. At that point see if you can get it to boot. If not, we'll try something from there. :)

3. 12Trice

12Trice New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the quick reply furbearingmammal. Unfortunately this is one of the things I have already tried, unless you mean using an altogether new battery. Which I would be happy to go out and get it. Do you know If a faulty/crapped out battery could actually make a problem like this?

4. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    Yes, it could. Ever try to use a flashlight with old batteries? Sometimes it'll be bright and then you can watch the light level drop.

No luck with the wall charger for 30 minutes? Can you boot into the bootloader? And I'm assuming holding X while attempting boot is pointless.

5. 12Trice

12Trice New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can get into the bootloader, has been constantly saying battery low. If everything was working properly it would not I am guessing. My phone actually has booted once while plugged into the wall, long enough to load notifications, until it died. Phone showed the battery as 5% (setcpu had it crawling at 200s mhz) anyway...

I think you must be right, either it's the battery or its the hardware in my phone that works right with the battery. I just find it odd that it happened when I was doing something like leaving it in SPRecovery for longer than anyone else probably ever would (hour+), I thought that might have been the problem, seems not. I am going to Verizon store with my dead phone in like 5 minutes. Thanks for reply again.

Will update when I am back. Please, anyone with input write a quick post, thanks :)

6. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    If you have a buddy with a Droid/Droid 2 you could ask to try his/her battery to see if it's yours.

7. 12Trice

12Trice New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All the Verizon Wireless stores were closed last night of course (Sunday). BUT for some reason My phone randomly came on during the night at some point while I had it wall charging, I dont understand. When I initially started all this yesterday I still had 30% battery so I don't see the issue. I am guessing it hit 100% and turned on... which of course is not the way it is suppose to work.

Does this still sound like a battery problem? I'm not going to get a new battery while this one is still working top notch otherwise unless I get a yes or two.

Thanks for all the help furbearingmammal.

8. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    So glad it's working for you!

A secondary battery isn't a bad idea and you can usually get one for about $10 delivered from Amazon; someone was reporting they could get two and a charger for $10 on eBay, but I think that was probably before shipping, and probably from Hong Kong at that (not that there's anything inherently wrong with getting something shipped directly to you from China). I'd say keep an eye on your battery life, make sure you charge it every night, and see where you go.

Oh, and never try to flash or backup or anything else with SPRecovery or ClockworkMod Recovery with less than 40% battery if you're plugged into the wall charger, or 80% if you're only using the battery. :)

9. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +932
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    Your device is fine. It needed to be charged is all. Leaving it in recovery kills the battery (device will not charge even while plugged in)

Your issue was a dead battery and not giving it enough time to charge.

Sent from my Droid

10. 12Trice

12Trice New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Woops. I'm sure I knew the phone doesn't charge while in SPRecovery but I forgot. :icon_ nono2: I don't use this very often, but I'll make sure to never leave it alone in recovery ever again.

Thank you very much both. I probably will be getting a new battery since it is that cheap and I never gave it the proper first charge (I couldn't wait a whole day..) anyway.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010