interesting rezound issue

techdean

Reaction score
Hi all, so this is my first post after being a member of DF for quite a while now... I just got my highly anticipated rezound in the mail yesterday:icon_ lala:
I gave my trusty R2-D2 droid 2 to my wife cause her palm pre was sucking it hardcore and I had an upgrade to use. So anyway, after about 2 weeks of research, reading reviews, watching videos and hanging around in the forums and getting some "hands on" with several phones. I decided on the ReZound...

Now it's only been about 24 hours since activation and I gotta say, this rezound is pretty amazing in most reSPECS... which is essentially why I chose it.

But... I did a little test between the R2-D2 and the Rezound and the results only confirmed my suspicions. Went to the app market on both phones and selected the same app and downloaded at the very same time... It was a fairly small app and both phones are on 3G(no 4G in my area yet)

The results... The old beat up R2 was installing the app when the ReZound was still downloading @ 86%

I'm no tech genius but something tells me this cannot be right. I performed this little "test" because I noticed @ work today that I was getting a weak signal or no signal at all, in places where I get signal all the time on the R2-D2. connections would "time out" in the app market(even with good signal) never happened with the "ol R2.

I use my phone for my second part time job, which requires me to download and upload data in varying amounts. I had to use my new shiny Rezound today for the 1st time in this respect and it failed at the task miserably... I had to wait to get home and connect to wi-fi to receive the newly acquired data and also to upload a little file with a few photos attached.

I work "in the field" so this will not be an option for me. I send and receive the data on the go. The droid R2-D2, rarely, if ever had a problem with this for the past TEN months, and the 1st day out with the ReZound all my hopes and expectations for this phone went out the window.

Nothing seems to be wrong with the phone(rezound) as far as glitches or battery life... The screen is beautiful, the camera is snappy and takes awesome photos(even in 5mp) music sounds great on it, and overall I really like it, but I need it to function as it should. As good, if not better than my droid in the connection department.

Just to note: I downloaded and installed the OTA update for the rezound which as far as I know, was suppose to correct some of these issues....

If anyone has ANY suggestions, I am definitely open to ideas. Crap, ya know. 2 weeks tearing my hair out over which phone to get, using an upgrade, spending over $200 and signing ANOTHER 2 year contract... and I am essentially using this phone to pay for itself and put $$$ in my pocket. I NEED ONE THAT WORKS. Could it be a local issue, as in just the phone itself or do other rezound users experience any of these things?

Looking for input everyone so let's hear it!!! I'm not extremely attached to it yet!!!

Thanks in advance and apologies if this is not posted in the correct area. The main thing I wanted to point out was about downloading the same app at the same time on the ReZound and the R2-D2 and the results...

My reasoning can hardly comprehend this because based on the specs, The Rezound should be smoking my R2-D2 in every way, shape, and form.

More than double processing power, double ram, overall newer technology, wow factor, etc...

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all, so this is my first post after being a member of DF for quite a while now... I just got my highly anticipated rezound in the mail yesterday:icon_ lala:
I gave my trusty R2-D2 droid 2 to my wife cause her palm pre was sucking it hardcore and I had an upgrade to use. So anyway, after about 2 weeks of research, reading reviews, watching videos and hanging around in the forums and getting some "hands on" with several phones. I decided on the ReZound...

Now it's only been about 24 hours since activation and I gotta say, this rezound is pretty amazing in most reSPECS... which is essentially why I chose it.

But... I did a little test between the R2-D2 and the Rezound and the results only confirmed my suspicions. Went to the app market on both phones and selected the same app and downloaded at the very same time... It was a fairly small app and both phones are on 3G(no 4G in my area yet)

The results... The old beat up R2 was installing the app when the ReZound was still downloading @ 86%

I'm no tech genius but something tells me this cannot be right. I performed this little "test" because I noticed @ work today that I was getting a weak signal or no signal at all, in places where I get signal all the time on the R2-D2. connections would "time out" in the app market(even with good signal) never happened with the "ol R2.

I use my phone for my second part time job, which requires me to download and upload data in varying amounts. I had to use my new shiny Rezound today for the 1st time in this respect and it failed at the task miserably... I had to wait to get home and connect to wi-fi to receive the newly acquired data and also to upload a little file with a few photos attached.

I work "in the field" so this will not be an option for me. I send and receive the data on the go. The droid R2-D2, rarely, if ever had a problem with this for the past TEN months, and the 1st day out with the ReZound all my hopes and expectations for this phone went out the window.

Nothing seems to be wrong with the phone(rezound) as far as glitches or battery life... The screen is beautiful, the camera is snappy and takes awesome photos(even in 5mp) music sounds great on it, and overall I really like it, but I need it to function as it should. As good, if not better than my droid in the connection department.

Just to note: I downloaded and installed the OTA update for the rezound which as far as I know, was suppose to correct some of these issues....

If anyone has ANY suggestions, I am definitely open to ideas. Crap, ya know. 2 weeks tearing my hair out over which phone to get, using an upgrade, spending over $200 and signing ANOTHER 2 year contract... and I am essentially using this phone to pay for itself and put $$$ in my pocket. I NEED ONE THAT WORKS. Could it be a local issue, as in just the phone itself or do other rezound users experience any of these things?

Looking for input everyone so let's hear it!!! I'm not extremely attached to it yet!!!

Thanks in advance and apologies if this is not posted in the correct area. The main thing I wanted to point out was about downloading the same app at the same time on the ReZound and the R2-D2 and the results...

My reasoning can hardly comprehend this because based on the specs, The Rezound should be smoking my R2-D2 in every way, shape, and form.

More than double processing power, double ram, overall newer technology, wow factor, etc...

Try switching your network connection to CDMA. This will give you 1x/3G and not try to flip over to 4G(which will burn your battery). If/when you change the option I mentioned you should see a noted improvement in 3G performance and battery life.

Also, just because you downloaded the app from the same place doesn't mean that both phones were given equal bandwidth from the market. Internet speeds not being equal etc...

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Grab a free app called Lte On Off or Phone Info to change your data radio to "cdma auto prl" and see if that helps.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

cp24eva

Reaction score
I was asking a similar question yesterday about 3G on a 4G phone being slower than 3G on a purely 3G phone. This sucks for people who bought the 4G phone, but aren't a 4G area most of the time. I don't know if it is the radios or what. I'd probably like the rezound the same if the 3G on it was on par with other 3G phones. I'd have great battery life and still be able to keep up with the normies. lol.

I like in a 4G area, but sometimes i just want to preserve some battery life, so I swap to 3G, but sometimes it's bad. Other times I can still squeeze like 1.5 mbps which is good i guess. Nothing compared to the 4g 25 Mbps though.

OP
T

techdean

Reaction score
thanks for the helpful replies and I actually figured it out after posting... I did exactly what MrSmith suggested and my 3g speeds and reliability were much improved afterward.

Almost regretfully, I returned the rezound to verizon and now have the droid4. It almost seems like a "leapback" in technology. The screen on the droid4 is not even close to the masterpiece the rezound has and the camera on the rezound seems lightyears ahead of the droid4... and some other things too but I must say, I think I made the best choice for me. I've only had the D4 for about a day now so it's still early. If the HTC Rezound had the same reception quality, call clarity and a physical slider... I would have DEFINITELY kept it, however all those things are very important to me for my "on the road" business...

If it was possible, here is what I would have in a phone with todays available technology and perhaps moto and HTC are taking notes.. heheh (yeah right)

hardware: D4 qwerty keyboard, ReZound screen (even 4" is fine), removable(upgradeable battery), ReZounds bad A camera(front and back), dual led flash, dual core processing is fine, 2 gigs of ram, physical 2 stage camera button, "gorilla" or compatible glass. MICRO USB, super hard, lightweight METAL frame and battery cover (flimsy crap of today is inexcusable) and the buttons must be somewhat pronounced (flush with the frame is annoying)

So much for wishing... but I do have another upgrade in eight months so we will see what has manifested by then... happy androiding everyone!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have an issue where my Rezound gets stuck in 1x in bad reception areas. When it drops data...and it does....I noticed the G Nex, RAZR and Rezound all can drop data....I can toggle mobile data and/or Airplane mode to get it back....then it sits there in 1x until I reboot it.

Seems like these 4G phones arent as reliable as 3G only phones for data use in weaker areas. We shouldnt have to put a 4G phone in 3G just to have reliable data use IMO. Why do that when we can just buy a 3G only phone? I would do that to save battery life, not to have a reliable connection. All things being equal it should drop back down to 3G if it isnt in a 4G area or in a weak 4G area with no need to set it to 3G only. Will have to agree about call quality too. My Rezound has issues with that where my RAZR doesnt.

Whats is strange to me is my Rezound had better data reception in weak areas than the G Nex I had. But it keeps getting stuck in 1x...something my G Nex never did. Getting stuck in 1x/connection issues and call quality are my only complaints. Someone posted a tip that might fix my stuck in 1x moments. If that happens....I will be alot happier. I am lucky I have a more reliable 4G phone to fall back on tho at this time instead of exchanging my Rezound. I had to pull out my RAZR a few times this weekend instead of toggling and rebooting my Rezound. Like I mentioned before...they all had data issues....some were just less annoying than others.

OP
T

techdean

Reaction score
@jroc

it seems motorola knows their stuff when it comes to calling and such, which is great given the fact that these devices are meant to be phones first (for me anyway) I just wish they wouldn't suffer in other departments. And I agree about 3G only phones but 4G is still largely experimental as are the devices which utilize it's awesomeness. It is an evolving technology (hence why I don't have it in my area yet) but I give'em a couple years and they should have it mostly ironed out. The network and the devices using that network.

As for 4G, I can't comment on that yet because the nearest 4G is about 250 miles from here. You are fortunate to NOT have to trade in your ReZound. I would have liked to have them both LoL or ONE phone that has everything I want, which given todays technology... isn't asking too much. The tech I want exists already, just not on one phone... very annoying

I think Verizon and other companies should include polls to existing and potential customers to ask, "what would you like in the newest smartphone?" and give a set of options to choose from. but that's dreaming...