Interesting Problem with SS4.8

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by drpaul07, Sep 24, 2010.

1. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I installed SS4.8 from CM6 without wiping and everything has been working perfectly. And now that i've set up everything the way i like it, I tried to make a nandroid backup before i do anything else. So it starts the backup process and then while its 'dumping system.tar' it gets stuck. So i pulled the battery and tried it again. Same thing: while 'dumping system.tar' it gets stuck in the same spot... ???

Anyone know a way to fix this? I'm using sprecovery by the way. Would using clockwork maybe make a full backup? I have never used clockwork before. This is kinda weird. I haven't heard of anyone having an issue like this.

I attempted to backup while typing this, and there has been no progress at all. Its been stuck like this for at least 15 minutes.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  2. Mohawk3

Mohawk3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was able to make a backup with clockwork. I have not tried SPR yet.

3. jerroedr

jerroedr Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    spr worked great here

4. dr0idg0d23

dr0idg0d23 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I would try reinstalling after a data wipe this time. That should fix your problem. 9 times out of 10 with s.s. roms a data wipe is not required but, there is no way of predicting how well that will work from phone to phone. Phones are like snowflakes no two are the same.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hmm thanks for the info.

I tried 3 times last night, and backup got stuck every time (i was trying advanced nandroid backup). i tried again today using the simple nandroid backup option, and it worked. Then i tried the advanced nandroid backup again, and that worked too. Hmmm, i don't know why it didn't want to backup last night. I've never ever had a problem making a backup until then. I don't think i did anything different either. Oh well, weird. Thanks.

6. tbone73

tbone73 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just tried installing SS4.8 and got stuck on a boot loop. Restored SS4.7 and I'm trying it again, anyone get this whiling installing 4.8?

7. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well i went from CM6 to SS4.8 w/o wiping and luckily all worked fine.

SS Android • View topic - SS 4.8 - More Statusbar Options - Music Controls Incl. BT

On chevy's page, it says if you have issues without a wipe, you install the bkapps.zip to your old rom, then wipe everything, then install the rom, then rstapps. Maybe the LV Chevy 1.0GHz kernel it comes with causes the bootloop. I'm not sure how you'd change the kernel if you get a bootloop immediately after installing the rom though.

Have you fixed the bootloop yet?

8. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    The weird thing is, the rom you have installed should have no effect or bearing on whether SPRecovery should be able to make a backup, since recovery is entirely independent of the Android OS. You may have a physically corrupted area on your card though. I'd try mounting USBMass, then run a chkdsk on it from your PC and see if it finds any errors.

9. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    What you do is...go to partitions menu (at least in CWR), and select mount usb while still in recovery (this is after you have installed the ROM zip already), then you move the kernel zip file to your SD card, then back out to choose the SD file you want to install...install the kernel after the ROM...then reboot.

10. tbone73

tbone73 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, it worked this time, I didn't wipe and so far alls well. get back to you all in 30 minutes.
    Thanks

11. tmac7607

tmac7607 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can try it and see. Or you can try to run fix permission then try running the backup again.

12. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hmm..yeah maybe i'll do that. I had CM6 before and made like 10 different backups for it throughout the time i was using it. Never once had a problem. Then the first time few times i tried to backup SS, it got stuck, had to battery pull and try again. Finally did get it to work though. I thought it was something in /system that caused it to get stuck cuz every time, it got stuck while dumping system.tar, but i guess it might just be an sd card thing.

13. tmac7607

tmac7607 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    But wouldn't running fix permissions from rom manager to fix errors be the same thing?

14. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    oh ok so you can mount the sd while in recovery to move things from the comp to sd and vice versa. Thanks.

15. Taegost

Taegost Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I tried installing 4.8 with the stock theme and got force closes with SetCPU and process.core constantly, it was almost impossible to reboot without pulling the battery. When I did it with the blue theme, it was a *little* better, I didn't get constant force closes, but about every 15-30 seconds, using the 1.2GHz LV kernel.
    I installed 4.7 blue theme and it works fine.

Search tags for this page

bete ss4.8 data

samsung ss4 problem