Interesting Permissions Problem.

frankjaegar

Reaction score
So, here's the sitch. After reinstalling MIUI countless times in the past week just to try and get everything right, I feel like I've finally reaches a result I'm happy with. As of now I type this on MIUI .14.1, with Slayher's 250-1250 LFY 1.6 kernel, no compcache, with the rEVOlution 4.0 theme. I've installed the animations posted on the EVO thread as well, and on top of it all Jamez's script in the OP to fix the Theme Manager's permissions. For once my .android_secure is still intact and all my apps are running smoothly...
Minus the MIUI Launcher.
Now usually the solution for me to lots of MIUI Launcher FCs is to use ROM Manager and "Repair Permissions". Piece of cake. However, the command isn't working for me. When I attempt to run it, it claims it was unable to initiate elevated privileges.
I've seen this problem before, and the normal solution is to reinstall/repair BusyBox. Which I've done. & I've double-checked SuperUser to make sure ROM Manager has permissions. It does.

So friends, where do you think the problem lies? I just installed this all today, and I've ruled out .android_secure, BusyBox and SuperUser as potential perpetrators. Could Jam's script have mucked things up for me? I'd really rather not reinstall everything again, I've done it so many times now.

If we can't as a brain trust find the root of the problem, then could someone point me towards a more manual method or a script to repair permissions? I rather like the MIUI Launcher. But if this keeps up, I'd rather just switch back to LauncherPro then reinstall at this point.

Thanks all.

P.S. how does the memory usage of MIUI Launcher compare with LauncherPro Plus, does anyone know? Anyone have any tips to keep the RAM balance good and steady that doesn't involve CompCache/Swap?

pup154

Reaction score
So, here's the sitch. After reinstalling MIUI countless times in the past week just to try and get everything right, I feel like I've finally reaches a result I'm happy with. As of now I type this on MIUI .14.1, with Slayher's 250-1250 LFY 1.6 kernel, no compcache, with the rEVOlution 4.0 theme. I've installed the animations posted on the EVO thread as well, and on top of it all Jamez's script in the OP to fix the Theme Manager's permissions. For once my .android_secure is still intact and all my apps are running smoothly...
Minus the MIUI Launcher.
Now usually the solution for me to lots of MIUI Launcher FCs is to use ROM Manager and "Repair Permissions". Piece of cake. However, the command isn't working for me. When I attempt to run it, it claims it was unable to initiate elevated privileges.
I've seen this problem before, and the normal solution is to reinstall/repair BusyBox. Which I've done. & I've double-checked SuperUser to make sure ROM Manager has permissions. It does.

So friends, where do you think the problem lies? I just installed this all today, and I've ruled out .android_secure, BusyBox and SuperUser as potential perpetrators. Could Jam's script have mucked things up for me? I'd really rather not reinstall everything again, I've done it so many times now.

If we can't as a brain trust find the root of the problem, then could someone point me towards a more manual method or a script to repair permissions? I rather like the MIUI Launcher. But if this keeps up, I'd rather just switch back to LauncherPro then reinstall at this point.

Thanks all.

I had the same issue a few weeks ago. The fix that finally worked for me was to go into settings > programs tab > manage applications > all tab > superuser > clear data.

OP
F

frankjaegar

Reaction score
Full update on the situation:
Deleting SuperUser's data did not help, unfortunately. However, uninstalling and reinstalling ROM Manager did. Even with the fixed permissions though, MIUI was not happy. Eventually I became so frustrated that I just installed LauncherPro Plus again, and now my system is smooth as butter. My full stat list is:

MIUI .14.1 with rEVOlution 4.0 theme.
Slayher's 250-1200 LFY 1.6 kernel, CPU set to 500-1200 interactive.
No CompCache/Swap.
LauncherPro Plus 0.8.3 (5 Homescreens, Light preset memory usage, Keep In Memory enabled).
MinFreeManager set to Aggressive.
Memory Booster Full set to boost on screen off with Ultimate Boost.
Cache Cleaner NG set to clean all caches every 12 hours.
All permissions fixed ;)
Average Quadrant Score: 1507.
& finally, a 2800 Seidio Extended Battery.

Overall, this is the first time I've been pleased with my Droid's performance in almost a year; almost everything except the Market is smooth and responsive. However, my Droid and copious amounts of water became good friends recently, so it looks like I'm picking up a refurbished Droid X soon anyhows. C'est la vie.
Long live the MIUI.

Loooney2ns

Reaction score
Reinstalling Rom Manager worked for me. I was getting a little frustrated because I couldn't figure this out, even with Google's help. Probably because I'm in bed sick and I was exhausted while trying to figure out what to do. I had already reinstalled Busybox and done the Superuser trick. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Re: Busybox

Open question to all:

Has anyone ever found that installing latest busybox version mucks everything up?
If so, on which ROMs, if you can recall.
Also, to any developers, why does it seem most if not all, even non AOSP builds, use a variation of busybox 1.16 when Stericson has had version 1.17.1 for, well, as long as I can remember?

Thanks for any and all answers.

danceswithbongs