Interesting issue with screen during phone call

Fairlight

Reaction score
First time poster, long time lurker lol. Anyways, I just recently switched over to jrummy v.07 after getting a new replacement Moto Droid from verizon. I've never need to post for help under any rom but this problem is aggravating me lol. I flashed the sprecovery spf from stock non-root 2.1 and then loaded this rom. I also did the .07 update released a couple days ago.

The problem I am having is this, during a call the phone acts as it should, screen stays on until I bring it up to my ear in which the screen turns off. This is where the problems start. The screen never turns back on when I have it away from my ear/face and I am unable to end the phone call. 100% positive nothing is in the way of the sensor. I can not get the screen to burn back on using any button. The only possible way to turn on the screen is slide the droid open and end the call before the other party ends it. If by chance the other party hangs up first, I can not get the screen to turn on even by sliding. I either have to do a battery pull or dial my cell from another phone to "wake it up."

I've tried fixing permissions from rom manager, change the settings under call settings but they don't seem to stick. "Keep screen awake" under advanced settings doesn't seem to work. Tried rebooting/ battery pull/ all options under *228, killed everything under advanced task manager....I dont know what else to try. Any help?

nphil

Reaction score
Yeah don't worry, its a defective proximity sensor. I got a replacement unit with the exact same problem too. Try taking the unit to a B&M store to get it replaced.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
F

Fairlight

Reaction score
haha thats hilarious, i'm going to need a replacement droid...for my replacement droid! My original launch droid's screen stopped responding smoothly and now the sensor for this new droid? Eeekkkk, no bueno. I downloaded this app called Quick System Info and it shows the proximity sensor info...

SFH7743 Proximity Sensor
Vendor Unknown
Version 1
Power 1.0mA
Resolutio 1.0
Max Range 255.0

Do you have anything different in your properly working droid?

nphil

Reaction score
Download a proximity sensor test app (search for "proximity sensor" in the market), then move your fingers to and away from your phone's sensor. If you see a static value, you have a defective sensor.

Verizon actually sent me TWO Droids in a row with defective sensors. When inquired about how the hell that happens, the lady assured me that every single Droid goes through a 100 point "quality test".

100 point quality test my ass, isn't making phone calls part of the 100?

markman5

Reaction score
haha thats hilarious, i'm going to need a replacement droid...for my replacement droid! My original launch droid's screen stopped responding smoothly and now the sensor for this new droid? Eeekkkk, no bueno. I downloaded this app called Quick System Info and it shows the proximity sensor info...

SFH7743 Proximity Sensor
Vendor Unknown
Version 1
Power 1.0mA
Resolutio 1.0
Max Range 255.0

Do you have anything different in your properly working droid?

FWIW, I just got a Droid X a few days ago and learning the ropes.

I have SFH7743 Proximity Sensor
Vendor OSRAM Opto Semiconductors
Version 1
Power: 0.045mA
Resolution 2.1474836E9
Max Range 2.1474836E9 (yep, same number for both)

I am just trying to figure out how to get the screen to come back on if am using the speakerphone and want to use the keypad during the call...or just hang up?

listenman20

Reaction score
I am just trying to figure out how to get the screen to come back on if am using the speakerphone and want to use the keypad during the call...or just hang up?

should just be a matter of pressing a hard button....may have to be the power button. it should only wake the phone not hang up on ya.

Car

Reaction score
Whenever I have this problem I just press the power button. Only problem is I have to slide to unlock before I can return to the call in progress :-/

lookEVO

Reaction score
mine does this too now sometimes. and my proximity sensor was fine before hand.