Interesting ICS Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
G

GrimMeeper

Reaction score
"You are wanting the phone to detect the different wireless signals it sees and test them if internet access is available."

Yup. Basically, that's it. I know the phone won't do that. I just thought it would be a cool bonus if it did do that. If it could "test the waters" instead of just jumping right in. I get the feeling that you all consider the idea of a smartphone actually being smart and detecting if the wifi signal is actually useful or not, to be inane. I can't change your opinion. All the best. GM

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
It all comes back to the simple fact that WiFi is not internet. Don't connect to a WiFi system that isn't connected to the internet. Pretty simple.

How is the phone supposed to "know" that this time you want internet access when you connect to WiFi....but this other time you are just connecting to a local WiFi area for printing/filesharing? An "intranet" run over WiFi in an office or home is actually a "useful" WiFi signal according to your description of the phone "knowing" if the WiFi is useful or not.

OP
G

GrimMeeper

Reaction score
It all comes back to the simple fact that WiFi is not internet. Don't connect to a WiFi system that isn't connected to the internet. Pretty simple.

How is the phone supposed to "know" that this time you want internet access when you connect to WiFi....but this other time you are just connecting to a local WiFi area for printing/filesharing? An "intranet" run over WiFi in an office or home is actually a "useful" WiFi signal according to your description of the phone "knowing" if the WiFi is useful or not.

Very simple. It would have one of those handy dandy settings options and you could put a "check mark" next to: only connect to wi-fi if there is an internet connection available....OR: it could detect if you are actively using 4G and then base whether or not to switch on that....all these things could be options. I thought that Google was fond of programming in options and "toggles" etc.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Or...even simpler...the user could NOT turn on WiFi when he wants to connect to the internet and the local WiFi that the user has previously logged in to before doesn't offer internet because the user unplugged it from the Cable modem.

OP
G

GrimMeeper

Reaction score
"because the user unplugged it from the Cable modem." Yes, I discovered this issue after unplugging my cable modem from the router. HOWEVER:

What if the ISP goes down for some technical reason. Or what if the modem breaks? Why should the "smartphone" behave poorly due to an outside factor? Instead, it should immediately switch back to 4G...or if the person is entering the environment, then the phone should NOT switch away from 4G. This is not illogical.

wseyller

Reaction score
I have a wireless router and also wired devices all in one network. This network never has an internet connection. Obviously I would not be able to connect my phone to the wireless network if I want an internet connect. Sometime I do have to connect to the wireless network temporary to print something to my wireless printer and then I shut the wifi on my phone off.

OP
G

GrimMeeper

Reaction score
I have a wireless router and also wired devices all in one network. This network never has an internet connection. Obviously I would not be able to connect my phone to the wireless network if I want an internet connect. Sometime I do have to connect to the wireless network temporary to print something to my wireless printer and then I shut the wifi on my phone off.

The solution would be simple: uncheck the hypothetical "Only connect to wifi if there is internet" box. Getting ready to give up on this. My idea is wildly unpopular lol

bufordtpisser

Reaction score
This is like trying to explain why your engine blows up because it has no oil in it. It had oil in it once so it should always have oil in it. They call them idiot lights for a reason. Only idiots wait till the lights come on. Sounds like you need an idiot light for smart phones!!!!!

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I'm pretty sure GrimMeeper is trolling the **** out of everyone right now.

OP
G

GrimMeeper

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure GrimMeeper is trolling the **** out of everyone right now.

Actually, I am a gentleman with an idea about ICS that interested me before. Now I see the idea is unpopular, and I so I said that I was getting ready to give up on it. Then, someone talked about "idiot lights" to me, and someone else called me a "troll." Easy to be internet tough guys, isn't it! Very safe. Cowards.

shaggykid

Reaction score
I understand what you are trying to say and why you want it that way.

However, it is just as easy to have a wifi toggle and simply turn it off when your router has no internet connection.

Make another setting to connect only when wifi has internet access is kind of redundant.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
G

GrimMeeper

Reaction score
I understand what you are trying to say and why you want it that way.

However, it is just as easy to have a wifi toggle and simply turn it off when your router has no internet connection.

Make another setting to connect only when wifi has internet access is kind of redundant.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

What if the router disconnects for a reason that was not predicted (such as the ISP going down or the modem breaking)....then you walk into this environment and your phone suddenly drops 4G and switches to the non-internet connection. What if this situation interrupts a sensitive conference? See my point?

dave52355

Reaction score
Not sure why I'm typing this but if a simple ping command were there such as " ping google.com " could be used along with an if/than type statement such as if no response than stay on 4g type thing. I can actually see a need for something like this for folks on limited data. Of course that be google's thing, but I find keeping wifi off until needed works well for me. Perhaps you could setup Tasker to check connections for you?

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
LOL OMG!!! Its so simple? When you connect to the WiFi and nothing happens "INTERNET NOT WORKING!!! " My god just close this thread please! DON'T EVEN ask me why I even got suckered into this conversation???

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Actually, I am a gentleman with an idea about ICS that interested me before. Now I see the idea is unpopular, and I so I said that I was getting ready to give up on it. Then, someone talked about "idiot lights" to me, and someone else called me a "troll." Easy to be internet tough guys, isn't it! Very safe. Cowards.
Contrary to your belief, troll is not a derogatory term.

If you are honestly serious about this, then you're out of luck and I'm sorry. As people have mentioned before, it's entirely feasible that someone would want their phone to connect to a wireless LAN with other computers to exchange data, where they may not have any use for internet. But with your mindset, if external packets were not being received by the device, then it would automatically shut down the wireless fidelity antenna and switch directly over to your CDMA/LTE network....which could bode poorly for the people mentioned previously. With our current set up, everyone is happy and very little work has to be done on anyone's part.

Status
Not open for further replies.