Interesting ICS Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimMeeper

Reaction score
Hey I don't know if this issue was posted before or not: I briefly flashed ICS to my bionic (the one from a few days ago). At the same time, it so happened that I had to take the cable out of my router, because I wanted to connect it directly to my PC. Despite my router not being connected to my modem, my Bionic STILL SAID that wireless networks were connected, and would automatically disconnect me from 4G, leaving me with nothing but a phantom connection that didn't work. It seems as though it detected the router and could not distinguish if it was a working router or not.

Is this helpful, or does it basically just read as "I am a Noob"?

EDIT: i have since used rsd lite and some instructions from this site to return to .902 ---> .905.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
A router doesn't need internet access to create a wireless network. So your devices (wireless) will still connect to a router that is on and broadcasting regardless of it having internet or not. This allows a completely private, internet free "internal" network between all your devices in your home (ie....laptop printing to wireless printer, laptop sharing files with pc, etc...).

Your phone saw the wireless network your router was creating, it doesn't care if that wireless network has internet access. Wireless networks (WiFi) and Internet are two different things.

jadesaber2

Reaction score
Your router is still running a wireless network, even when it's not connected to the internet. That's what the phone is seeing, and connecting to.

OP
G

GrimMeeper

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation folks. But couldn't a savy smartphone programmer write a program that makes the smartphone "smart"? (i.e. it can actually verify if you'll be able to check your email or whatever, instead of just searching for a working router, before disconnecting 4G?)

shaggykid

Reaction score
Couldn't you just turn wifi off?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
G

GrimMeeper

Reaction score
Couldn't you just turn wifi off?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

No, I couldn't just turn my wifi off, because my router has threatened to contact social services if I do anything hurtful or abusive to it.

OP
G

GrimMeeper

Reaction score
+1
there ya go.
I always keep wifi off when not using an actual wifi network.

So it makes sense for the phone to say "Hey, I detected wifi...switching over now!" and then actively switch over from a working connection to nothingness? Because I unplugged a cable? Come on....that seems rather vindictive.

nobreak1970

Reaction score
Go into your wifi settings pick the network and then click the Forget button.
Now it won't auto connect anymore.

OP
G

GrimMeeper

Reaction score
Go into your wifi settings pick the network and then click the Forget button.
Now it won't auto connect anymore.

Thank you so much for trying to help me. Obviously, I want it to auto-connect but only when there is a true internet connection available. Obviously, I want the phone to detect if there is an unplugged cable before disconnecting me from 4G. But thank you for your time, I guess. -GM

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Obviously, I want it to auto-connect but only when there is a true internet connection available. Obviously, I want the phone to detect if there is an unplugged cable before disconnecting me from 4G. -GM

It can't and won't do that. It looks only for a WiFi signal. WiFi is not internet. It will connect to a WiFi signal if it sees one that you have connected to before. If you don't want it to do that....turn off your router. Why are you disconnecting your router but not turning it off?

A wireless router broadcasts WiFi, not the internet. Typically the wireless router is connected to the internet and shares that connection over it's WiFi. If it's not connected to the internet.....it's still

OP
G

GrimMeeper

Reaction score
It can't and won't do that. It looks only for a WiFi signal. WiFi is not internet. It will connect to a WiFi signal if it sees one that you have connected to before. If you don't want it to do that....turn off your router. Why are you disconnecting your router but not turning it off?

A wireless router broadcasts WiFi, not the internet. Typically the wireless router is connected to the internet and shares that connection over it's WiFi. If it's not connected to the internet.....it's still

EDIT: deleted because it was a bad example.

I just hope smeone understands my point.

Last edited:

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Simple...because your phone doesn't connect to the "internet" it connect to a WiFi signal.

It connects to two signals...Wireless radio (4g/3g) or Wifi. It doesn't ever connect to the internet. The internet is provided through those connections....if those connections lose access to the internet your phone doesn't care (or know). It sees the wireless signal and connects to it.

And in your example...sitting in your conference room on 4G connection.....it shouldn't switch to a router that breaks but is still broadcasting. It would have switched to it when it wasn't "broken" and stayed connected after it lost connection. If you were on 4G it would still be on 4G regardless of what the companies router did.

You are wanting the phone to detect the different wireless signals it sees and test them if internet access is available. It's not going to do that...it doesn't care if internet is available, it just cares that a wireless network is available. Say I have an internal network in my office where I do not allow internet access (either by not having it connected or by blocking it), but I want all the PC's, printers and laptops that have WiFi cards to be able to communicate with each other. That is a valid network. If I enable WiFi on my phone...it's going to connect to it. I can access all those resources with my phone...but I can't get internet. That is the environment you created when you disconnected internet from your router but did not turn it off. Either turn off the phone's WiFi or turn off your router.

Status
Not open for further replies.