Interesting Droid RAZR problem

Neupy

Reaction score
My friend gave me a RAZR that dont charge for free. Figuring it was a problem in the port itself I ordered a new port. Installed it on the mainboard. Problem not solved. Charged straight to the battery so that works but not exactly handy. I cannot figure out the issue with the port. Because its not working it also dont work when I plug it into my computer. So can I still root it somehow? Or does anyone have anything else I can try? I was hoping I could at least bypass the charging issue by using an inductive charger but apparently the origional razr dont support that ugh. And heres my custom made charger lol.

View attachment 63941

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
What (if anything) does happen when you plug the phone into the STOCK Motorola Charger with the STOCK Motorola Charging/Data cable? Do you see a White light, even for a brief moment? If the phone is completely powered off, and you plug in, wait at least 10 seconds, if not 20, and see if anything happens. You can briefly tap one of the volume buttons to see if it's in Charge Only mode or not (a large Blue Battery Icon and % will appear).

OP
Neupy

Neupy

Reaction score
Absolutly nothing. Ok I guess I forgot some things here. Before replacing the port I thought maybe the battery was in protection mode. So I charged it differently which im about to post a picture of in my OP. But even after the battery is fully charged and phone working great. Nothing happens when plugged in.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
If there's no response from the charger even with a charged battery, then I'm going out on a limb, buy I'd say the charging circuit in the phone is toast.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
Neupy

Neupy

Reaction score
no never mind lol. was txting someone about the problem and was coincidence that your in PA. Threw me off. We think it might be a tiny fuse on the other side of the mainboard from the charging port. But I cant find a part number for it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
There's a fuse?? :icon_eek:

Well, is it round and does it screw in like a lightbulb? (LOL!)

Good luck finding it and replacing it. I hope you're successful. I've had mine open several times so I may be of some assistance if you wish. Check your PM.

jp233

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was an over-charge fuse or something on the phone. Once a long time ago, I accidentally plugged my phone into a kindle charger (which I think is somewhere 1.5-2.0 amps). I quickly realized it and unplugged it, but wondered what sort of power protection there was, I would hope it would be software first and some sacrificial hard part second...

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
1.5-2.0 is just what the limitation of the charger is, that doesn't mean its pushing that into the phone. As long as the voltage is the same your fine. The phone will regulate the amperage.

Sent From My RMHD