Interesting debate

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by FC127, Jan 11, 2011.

1. FC127

FC127 New Member

I got into an interesting conversation at work today. A Guy there was talking about taking his rooted DX back to VZW because of a physical button malfunction. He said he didn't unroot. They took the phone back, checked it out and gave him a new one. This was two months ago and he hasn't heard anything from Verizon.

I realized that, while I have heard that Verizon will charge you full price for the phone, I haven't actually heard that from someone it has happened to... so I bring the conversation to Droid Forums.

Has anyone here actually been charged for a phone that was taken back to VZW that was rooted or rommed?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  2. FC127

FC127 New Member

I was sure I would get at least one response...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  3. ziltoid

ziltoid New Member

Buddy of mine has a droid x. Apparently he was trying to flash a rom or maybe it was when he was trying to root, i forget, but whatever he did, he somehow bricked his phone. So he brought it in to the vz store where they tried flashing a sbf from a droid 2. I believe because they didnt have one for the droid x at the time. They wound up replacing it another droid x for free.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

If they find out it was rooted, they will void the warranty. The question is can the CSR that takes it in actually recognize a rooted Droid?
  5. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

CSR are users as well and they know about the forums. Heck we have reps here and when I bought my droid a rep was telling me about the forums. If you go to a rep I suggest unrooting. It is easy to reroot and just restore your nandroid backup later. Better that then they find out and now your warranty is voided.
  6. fox_dye

fox_dye New Member

If it was a true hardware problem and not improper button mapping in a rom then I can't see how there would be an issue with replacing the phone. Root or not hardware problems do occur. Its not like it was a fried CPU due to being overclocked. Its a bad button. But a void warranty is a void warranty. They might have let it go because the rep at the store flashed the wrong sbf file. Or they might have flashed a proper sbf and the button still didn't work. Either way he needs to watch his bill for a 600 dollar charge.

Sent from a galaxy far far away.....