Interesting Articles On Creating Augmented Reality Apps In Android

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by DroidsRUs, Dec 10, 2009.

1. DroidsRUs

DroidsRUs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  2. andjarnic

andjarnic Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am curious how useful these are. I mean, you need a fair amount of data for everywhere you go to be of any use. This is sort of the catch 22 issue.. until there is a lot more info that makes the view useful, it's not so useful. I also would say that the one app I tried.. forget the name of it now, while cool in what it tries to do, it makes it difficult to use. The camera movement is slow, so the updating of info within the view of the screen is slowly updated. More so, it's really hard with 3D view to tell where something is. I see a series of dots but one is 1 mile away, 1 is 50 feet away, and one is 7 miles away. It's difficult to work with because of this. There needs to be some sort of mini window with a top-down view where you can zoom in/out and select in it for the item you want to find out about. But on a 4" or so screen that is going to give very little room as well. I think the best chance of this is glasses with HUD in it, where it can track your hand movement and as you reach out in front of you and touch/grab/select things, it can determine this and from that do something with what you are selecting. It won't be long.. and what is out there is a decent first shot at this all things considered.
  3. silverx10

silverx10 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Much thanks for bringing this resource to light. If nothing else, the code snippets are good for further enlightening of hungry minds, I'm sure.

So far, the only real noteworthy AR apps I've seen are Layar and Google Goggles, though Google Goggles is only lightly treading on that territory for the time being.

But again, thanks a lot.
Search tags for this page
android how to develop augmented reality

augmented reality on android using gps and the accelerometer