Insurance?

CMDRSTP

Reaction score
I have a Razr Maxx and insurance. Not that I ever intend to use it, I was curious about the replacement quality. Are they always refurbished?

My last phone was an LG Dare (don't laugh) that was replaced. The replacement seemed to have few quirks that developed a few months after receiving it. It never preformed like the original one. Maybe it was just that particular phone.

Not that I would have a choice but, is there a way to receive a new replacement rather than a refurbished one if the need arises?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It depends, some have received brand new in box phones, others I've heard, have received refurbs... idk for sure.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

nel262

Reaction score
My daughter has an i-phone 4.she dropped it ,cracked the screen and they gave her anew one.It was maybe 9mos.old.I guess it will all depend on the person handling your issue.I now have a droid razr and broke the screen,no insurance.They want $600 for a new one!Not from me.We got these phones on a promo 2 for $200,can't see paying $600 for one.Now I'm stuck looking for parts.

OP
CMDRSTP

CMDRSTP

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that nel262.

Especially considering how expensive these things are, I will always have insurance....even if means a refurbished one. But, I was hoping there was a policy that guaranteed new.

hyisbm

Reaction score
were usually pretty good about protecting our phones(just upgraded from original droid to the maxx) & with the unlimited data fiasco, I'm going to have to rethink whether or not it's worth it to have insurance. If you stick with the NE2 idea that would mean you have spent about $200 on insurance in two years. Then to keep unlimited data I would have to still buy a new phone at full price and if the new phones are still around $600 it's just not going to be pretty. Multiply that by the number of lines in your household and it just gets worse.

I'm thinking about just having a savings account just for the phone now. Saving $20 - $30 a month and I can either upgrade every year or have enough saved for a new phone after two years. Paying for insurance, then the deductible, and getting a used or refurbished phone in the end is not going to cut it.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I have insurance on my OG Droid. Bought it the first day it was available so insurance has probably cost me more than enough to buy a new phone at this point. When I pre-ordered my Galaxy III I dropped the insurance.

OP
CMDRSTP

CMDRSTP

Reaction score
$7.99/month x 2 years + $50 deductible = $241.76......seems way less than having to buy a new phone out of pocket (even if refurbished) if an accident happens.

I don't have the unlimited data plan.

Beka27

Reaction score
My insurance deductible is $99 through Asurion. I believe the monthly cost went down to $6 something but they raised the deductible 50 bucks... I think sometime last year? But I understand your point. And it doesn't even matter how "careful" you are. My brother's phone was stolen in broad daylight and he was right there. Phones fall, drinks spill, in short... *stuff* happens.

My brother had to get his insurance phone just over a month ago b/c he was waiting for news on the S3. He could have just gotten something else but he knew what he wanted and wouldn't settle. And now he has a functioning backup DX.

OP
CMDRSTP

CMDRSTP

Reaction score
I agree, Beka27. You never know. And, with the prices these phones go for now a days....price of a laptop.

Has anyone heard of an insurance plan, other than through Verizon, that replaces with a new phone (not refurbished). I want to say my girlfriend heard of something like this while we were in Indy.

Last edited:

Beka27

Reaction score
I know there are 3rd party insurers but I've always just used Asurion (b/c it's easy?) so I don't know the policies of other companies. I'd be interested to know if someone has found one. (Or even a company that cuts you a check for a prorated amount based on months of service so you can then go buy your own new phone.)