insurance protection

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
i traded my stratosphere for my razr a few days ago. i dont have insurance..but if i call and put insurance on my line now that i have the razr am i able to call verizon and pay the deductable and get a new razr because the speaker is going bad. it crackles and cant play music ringtones or speakerphone

Sent from my BLACK DROID RAZR using Droid Forums. Prepare to be impressified!!!!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you buy the Razr privately? If yes, then what you are considering doing is insurance fraud. If you purchased the phone as an upgrade or full retail from VZW and there's an issue with the speaker, then you contact them and they can get a certified like new device.

If your intent is to ask about insurance fraud, then this thread will be closed.

OP
eddiekeyton

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
im not intentionally asking if its fraud. im asking if i bought the phone from someone else is it covered from verizons insurance if i put insurance on the phone after i buy it

Sent from my BLACK DROID RAZR using Droid Forums. Prepare to be impressified!!!!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
im not intentionally asking if its fraud. im asking if i bought the phone from someone else is it covered from verizons insurance if i put insurance on the phone after i buy it

I believe that insurance from Verizon can only be placed on a phone by the original owner.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
It actually may be covered under warranty even though you didn't order it through them. I bought a used phone off ebay. It was one of the first feature phones they had. The screen was going crazy. At the corporate store they tried to do a few things and said it was a common problem with the phone. When he offered to send me a replacement, I kept telling him that I bought the phone off ebay and he kept telling me it was still covered. How that is, did not make sense to me and I definitely did not want to end up being charged for the replacement. Honesty is the best policy. Verizon has always been very good and very fair. They want you to have a working phone and I think will replace if it is a phone defect. Things may have changed since then but may be worth a try.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

SGTSCHU

Reaction score
It may come down to the phone having a remaining warranty regardless of who is purchased from. They can tell from the serial number how old it is and see if it's still under the year warranty. I would assume this is more of a warranty issue and not an insurance issue.

Sent from my RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Trash Can

Reaction score
I believe that insurance from Verizon can only be placed on a phone by the original owner.

Regarding insurance, Verizon says:

"For any of these programs, Verizon Wireless customers can only enroll within 30 days of the following:

• New account activation with new equipment.
  • Upgrade with new equipment purchase.
  • To enroll in any of these programs, customers should contact Verizon Wireless Customer Service at (800) 922-0204 or visit any Verizon Wireless retail store location; or to enroll in the Asurion Wireless Phone Protection program only, customers should call Asurion at (888) 881-2622."

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Not exactly the same situation but I was able to use the VZW/Asurion insurance on a phone I purchased from Best Buy. I have seen cases of people being able to add insurance to phones bought second hand. But I don't think it is the norm.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not exactly the same situation but I was able to use the VZW/Asurion insurance on a phone I purchased from Best Buy. I have seen cases of people being able to add insurance to phones bought second hand. But I don't think it is the norm.
You are right, that is the exception, not the norm.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
SGTSCHU said:
It may come down to the phone having a remaining warranty regardless of who is purchased from. They can tell from the serial number how old it is and see if it's still under the year warranty. I would assume this is more of a warranty issue and not an insurance issue.

This may be exactly why the verizon rep insisted that even though I got my phone from ebay that it was still covered under warranty. I was shocked to say the least. Who does that... honors a warranty even though they were not the seller? I love verizon!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

SGTSCHU

Reaction score
This seems to be a common issue and would seem to be more of a defect warranty issue rather than insurance. I believe Motos have a 1 year warranty.

OP
eddiekeyton

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
im not to sure when the phone was purchased but considering they havent been out for a year maybe it still covered

BAMA74

Reaction score
The phone has a 1 yr. Manufacturer warranty!

sent from my HTC Rezound